Best and Safest Turbo for an R...

Old 06-07-2001, 02:33 PM
New User

Default Best and Safest Turbo for an R...

I am posting this here, because I know everyone here is a turbo nut, and knows lots of stuff, so I was hoping y'all could help me out, and yes I did do a search, but to no success for the info I'm looking for. I was wondering what the best and safest turbo would be for an R, and also what other mods I would have to do besides I/H/E to keep my engine for needing to be rebuilt.. Any info would be great. Thanx!

Chris
Old 06-07-2001, 03:06 PM
New User

Default Re: Best and Safest Turbo for an R... (PYTypeR408)

Well first off, the I and H of your I/H/E will both have to be replaced if you're going turbo. Aside from that, every turbo kit has it's pluses and minuses, but all are essentially "safe" as long as you run them at their intended boost level. The absolutely critical factor is fuel delivery; each kit seems to address this differently. If you want to be TRULY safe you really should switch to a standalone engine management system so you can run large injectors and not worry about the complexities of a fuel pressure-based system or the not-necessarily-uniform distribution of additional injectors before the throttle body. Aside from that, a J&S Safeguard is a little expensive but buys you a LOT of peace of mind in protecting your engine from the dreaded detonation demons.

Old 06-07-2001, 09:23 PM
Trial User

like mentioned above, detonation is the deamon here...
control that, and you can reap the benefits of boost.

Make sure you get it installed properly and tuned correctly, dont skimp on the $$ now cause if you do, your gonna have to shell it out later, and it wont be convienent.

IMO the REAL solution is a standalone, however, you can get by with the other methods people are using to get the proper fueling...but if you gonna go to extemes , the standalone is a must.

Also, along with detonation, control heat as much as possible, keep an eye on your gauges.

$$ for peace of mind is better than $$ for peices to replace you engine with

Last but def. not least, you abuse it, it will get pissed off and no longer work for u. no miracles here

[Modified by Ricehornet, 1:24 AM 6/8/2001]
Old 06-13-2001, 05:02 AM
Trial User

revhard...best parts
drag...good ,pretty

stock boost is safe,monitor a/f and you should be good
like someone said...didnt notice who....use your head and do it right for the most part
Old 06-15-2001, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Best and Safest Turbo for an R... (4dGSR at work)

Would some one plz elaborate in what the standalone engine management system does, or what it is?

I also have a Type R & I also would like to learn more about what route to take.

Thank you