Notices

Best place to buy a turbo!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to buy a turbo!?

Hi guys,

I'm from over in the United Kingdom but trying to source a turbo from the US!

I've found a small selection of suppliers via eBay.com BUT when using search engines, by default they only return UK sites with the odd US one.

The reason i'm looking to the states is because the prices are cheaper, even after shipping and import charges, plus the selection would be alot larger than what any UK supplier could offer.

Any site/supplier recommendations?

Thanks

Dan
Old 05-26-2009, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best place to buy a turbo!?

have a look right here on Honda-Tech

the marketplace has many suppliers of turbos for good prices.. check it out
Old 05-26-2009, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cheers fella... didn't even think of looking there! Already spotted a few good deals :D
Old 05-26-2009, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PM "The Shodan".
Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 AM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by Whatever
PM "The Shodan".
He won't be getting a GOOD DEAL...
Old 05-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bestbuy.com
Old 05-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

www.extremepsi.com

Ive spent over 10k there and never had an issue.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SD_Lurker
He won't be getting a GOOD DEAL...
And why is that?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:36 PM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by a1320addict
And why is that?
That's because the shodan has more to offer than just a turbo sale. You can get them much cheaper from vendors just trying to make a buck. The Shodan has a lot more to offer so his prices tend to be a little more... Any other questions sweety?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's because the shodan has more to offer than just a turbo sale. You can get them much cheaper from vendors just trying to make a buck. The Shodan has a lot more to offer so his prices tend to be a little more... Any other questions sweety?
More or less, this was the reason I questioned what you originally said in regards to Mac (TheShodan). So your advice to the OP is to grab a turbo for the slam-bam best price he can find from a "vendor just trying to make a buck"? What happens if said vendor is no longer in business and there's a warranty issue? It's obviously important to save money, it's equally important to look at the transaction with a long-term mindset.

There's more in pricing for some than "making a buck", customer service/support, adhering to MAP, etc.

Oh yea...def not your sweety
Old 05-26-2009, 03:31 PM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by a1320addict
More or less, this was the reason I questioned what you originally said in regards to Mac (TheShodan). So your advice to the OP is to grab a turbo for the slam-bam best price he can find from a "vendor just trying to make a buck"? What happens if said vendor is no longer in business and there's a warranty issue? It's obviously important to save money, it's equally important to look at the transaction with a long-term mindset.

There's more in pricing for some than "making a buck", customer service/support, adhering to MAP, etc.

Oh yea...def not your sweety
The reason i'm looking to the states is because the prices are cheaper, even after shipping and import charges, plus the selection would be alot larger than what any UK supplier could offer.

Those were his exact words... I can assure you that viren, HT sponsor b18bturbo will be in business for a long time to come. He can also give you a great deal and offer you any technical advise you may need.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

My prices depend upon the NEED of the customer. Yes, I do offer additional services to the turbocharger like thermal coatings and custom sized setups, but in the end I am just as competitive if not more than some other vendors. I know that the vendors as well as myself believe in ethics in MAP pricing. I will be more than happy to help the OP get what he needs for now and Future. Something a simple website doesn't do.

I think it would be best if the OP determines whether or not my pricing is "fair" and not everyone else. But I do thank everyone for their support, as always. ;-)
Old 05-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I were to get a turbo from the US, it will be from Shodan.. At least when I am trying to buy a turbo for a particular motor setup, I get to hear his expertise opinions about the turbo. That alone, as well as giving my money to a reputable person is worth the extra what, $5- $20? I rather do that than to buy from someone selling from his basement.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
as well as giving my money to a reputable person is worth the extra what, $5- $20? I rather do that than to buy from someone selling from his basement.
This.

It's worth a few extra bucks to know that you will actually be receiving the product.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
I get to hear his expertise opinions about the turbo. That alone, as well as giving my money to a reputable person is worth the extra what, $5- $20? I rather do that than to buy from someone selling from his basement.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Found some good suppliers in the Marketplace!

Shodan - I am at work at the minute so strapped for time... I will send you a PM with my requirements tonight (which will be your day time anyway!) - see if you can recommend what turbo is best for my needs and what prices you can offer me
Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 AM

Let's see what we can do... It's only a 5 hour difference, so if you have AIM, that would be even more advisable. Rule of thumb: Go for what you NEED, not just what one can offer at a 'deal'. So many have been disappointed with that mode of thinking.

Thank you everyone for the support.

P.S. Pete says ---- "MANCHESTER UNITED"!!!!

Last edited by TheShodan; 05-28-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Shodan... Great to hear you're a turbo vendor in the Chicago area. Might hit ya up at some point if that's cool.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to thread jack.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

viren, HT sponsor b18bturbo will be in business for a long time to come. He can also give you a great deal and offer you any technical advise you may need.
I'm sure the Shodan is a really good guy to buy a turbo from but b18bturbo is top notch to deal with too, and his prices on turbos are ridiculous (low). There are some really good vendors on this forum!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:37 PM

B18bturbo is a great vendor, no question, but he also doesn't offer a lot of the combinations and models that I do. I'm not trying to compare or compete, but not everyone needs a 57 trim, 60 trim w/ a stage III or GT3076R, when it is not necessary.

I've always made my recommendations of which turbo for a reason, and not just "what's available" from the standard Garrett / Borg-Warner or Mitsubishi lines. It is important for others to know that I don't just do the run of the mill turbochargers, even though they are an option. I think people tend to believe that I just give "advice" on the standard. I do much, much more than that.

Last edited by TheShodan; 06-03-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Let's see what we can do... It's only a 5 hour difference, so if you have AIM, that would be even more advisable. Rule of thumb: Go for what you NEED, not just what one can offer at a 'deal'. So many have been disappointed with that mode of thinking.

Thank you everyone for the support.

P.S. Pete says ---- "MANCHESTER UNITED"!!!!
Lol... Manchester United just got destroyed by Barcelona... not many happy manc's about!!!

Sorry I didn't get that message over to you last night. I'll work on it now and PM you.

I'm not after a monster turbo for my needs PM coming your way fella!
Old 05-29-2009, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always made my recommendations of which turbo for a reason, and not just "what's available" from the standard Garrett line. I'm not here to compete, but I think it is important for others to know that I don't just do the run of the mill turbochargers, even though they are an option. I'm not trying to compete here, but I think people tend to believe that I just give "advice" on the standard. I do much, much more than that.[/QUOTE]

Contact Theshodan. He is a very knowledgeable guy. Many vendors I talked to wanted me to buy an off the shelf turbo to where is will do some characteristics you are looking for but not others. I decided to contact theshodan and it was the best decision I have made on HT. We spend a good couple of weeks going over my setup I was looking to run and he then put together a sick turbo for me. The difference i have found about theshodan it that he is always available to answer your questions. I'm not saying that there aren't other vendor that would do that just that theshodan seems more available for questions. Plus his experience with turbo hondas is second to none. And on a final note I found his pricing to be very competetive when you factor in the time he spends with you to put together the right setup. I am a customer for life with theshodan.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He has also helped me, very nice guy!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TheShodan is great guy to deal with. He will help you pick the right turbo and he stands by his products.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by DreTec
Lol... Manchester United just got destroyed by Barcelona... not many happy manc's about!!!

Sorry I didn't get that message over to you last night. I'll work on it now and PM you.

I'm not after a monster turbo for my needs PM coming your way fella!
Thanks for all the support guys. But if it weren't for you all, I wouldn't be able to do this.

I don't do any magic or hocus pocus, just listen to the client and make sure he gets what he/she can (realistically of course!) out of a fun piece of technology.

I also am working with some Precision products again to see what I can do to improve some things.(shhh) so, if people need assistance with those, please don't hesitate to contact me.

DrecTec: Pete saw that match, and that's why he was screaming for them again. We were extremely pissed about it in Italy, so hopefully it will get better. It's hard to get matches on TV here sometimes, but when they were in Spain, they kicked as from what I saw.

ScreaminVTEC: This was a fun turbo to prepare for you. The coating was even nicer with a thermal ceramic coat and High thermal wrinkle for you. It will NEVER fade.

Good times!! ;-)

Last edited by TheShodan; 05-29-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Best place to buy a turbo!?