Notices

Best Intake Manifold for Boost? Edelbrock or ITR

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Intake Manifold for Boost? Edelbrock or ITR

Is the Edelbrock really worth the upgrade? Im looking at NO MORE than 450whp. I wont rev past 8800rpms. I heard that Edelbrock makes its power from 7-10k rpms. How would the ITr manifold performce at high boost at 450whp? Also, when buying a new Intake manifold, should you port match the TB and also the ports on the runners for the head? With the ITR and Edelbrock, are the ports on the runners bigger or smaller than the ports on a GSR head? And last question, can i just port the stock TB to what the new intake mani will be? or should i just buy another? thanks for any help.

Any other manifolds you would consider?
Old 02-27-2004, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for Boost? Edelbrock or ITR (1SlowSi)

First the edelbrock is made for highed power. The ITR will probably give you gains from bottom to midrange. I am in the process of doing what you are and I am port matching everything. I think the edelbrock has slightly bigger but I'm not sure because I haven't seen the ITR manifold. For the throttle body it all depends what kind of shape the throttle body is in. If it is fine then just port it and save money. Also, the throttle body size if very important. If you want high end then get a big throttle body(70mm) or if you want low end then get like a 65 or 68mm. good luck!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for Boost? Edelbrock or ITR (SupaTeg)

Well if i want the best of both worlds with the TB then ill go with a 68mm. As far as manifolds go... is there an in between one? i mean the Edelbrock will probably be fine, but im just wondering if its really needed. ill be running damn near close to 450whp. but normally 300whp daily.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:20 PM

I'd go with the Edelbrock. It's been proven on high horsepower setups.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for Boost? Edelbrock or ITR (MwGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MwGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd go with the Edelbrock. It's been proven on high horsepower setups. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Gee, we'd all have peaky power bands with that mind-set.

Seriosly though it really depends on what kind of driving you do with it, and whether you really want to be just all out race.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for Boost? Edelbrock or ITR (nd_styles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MwGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd go with the Edelbrock. It's been proven on high horsepower setups. </TD></TR></TABLE>

with high horsepower cars, peak power is what matters in the ET. since jg makes power in high rpm, when running car in 1/4, youll be in that powerband most of the time, so it would be better for 1/4 runs.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nd_styles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Gee, we'd all have peaky power bands with that mind-set.

Seriosly though it really depends on what kind of driving you do with it, and whether you really want to be just all out race.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly, if you plan on using it mostly as daily driver, the itr manifold, like the skunk2, will have more gains in the midrange than upper, which is where one would normally like to have powerband IMO for a daily driver.

my friend got the jg on his gsr with IHE, he said he lost a lot of low end power and even ended up taking it off.

jg to maximize power, skunk2/itr for daily driven car for me

Old 02-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well... im gonna be driving all around town at around 300whp, and occasionally at 450whp or around 400whp... i drive long trips ALOT!!!, just want something fun to drive. i dunno... The Edelbrock sounds nice.. ive seen good numbers, but im looking for something that makes power around 5000-9000 rpms. not just 7-10k.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for Boost? Edelbrock or ITR (-iLLuZioN-B18C1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -iLLuZioN-B18C1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

jg to maximize power, skunk2/itr for daily driven car for me

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, what would be inbetween to get the best of both worlds? i dont go to the track or anything... but YES all races will be high end...as a daily drive, low-mid is important... any other manifolds? or Anything to do to kinda make a decent mid-high end setup?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the endyn manifold is proven to be a good product but its also expensive
Old 02-27-2004, 11:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1SlowSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, what would be inbetween to get the best of both worlds? i dont go to the track or anything... but YES all races will be high end...as a daily drive, low-mid is important... any other manifolds? or Anything to do to kinda make a decent mid-high end setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ezactly what the guy above me said. ENDYN makes a very nice carbon fiber manifold. The plenum on it is sized for the 7,000rpm range. Expensive, but very high quality from what I have seen of it.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoa...how much are we talking about... maybe i should search that! haha. is it worth the money?
Old 02-28-2004, 01:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1SlowSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whoa...how much are we talking about... maybe i should search that! haha. is it worth the money?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've heard around $1,000. Not sure, but I know it made damn good power though. It also helped isolate the temp difference from the block. Just like one of those spacers. I can't remember what they are called.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1000 bucks but in a IM test it beat the JG by 30 whp.....my dream intake
Old 02-28-2004, 04:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nd_styles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ezactly what the guy above me said. ENDYN makes a very nice carbon fiber manifold. The plenum on it is sized for the 7,000rpm range. Expensive, but very high quality from what I have seen of it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Your wrong the Endyn mani makes really good mid range power and top end power.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:54 AM

that Endyn/AIR intake manifold is 14XX somthing. I dont remember larry emailed me about it yesterday. Im looking at one

To me it would perfect for me. It gives you mid range power which doesnt hurt and high-end which i like so. All in all it would make me a happy person.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MwGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your wrong the Endyn mani makes really good mid range power and top end power. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's funny I said a general term. I said the 7,000 RANGE I didn't think that was an exact measurement. Also, if the mani is designed with the Helmholtz equation aimed at the 7,000rpm range it would start coming into greater efficiency in the "MID"-range, and go well into the 9,000rpm high-range. Got it? Would you like me simplify it more?

The JG is designed for more of the 9,000rpm or 10,000rpm range. Unless you are looking for very peaky power that's too high.

1,400~ still a good price for what you get in IMO.

edit: drunk spelling....
Old 02-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for Boost? Edelbrock or ITR (Soon_2b_evil)

Where have you been bish? Get in touch with me soon.

The AIR/ENDYN intake manifold is the best IMO. Does that justify the cost for us all? Not for my application.

I went with the 2001 Acura Integra Type-R intake manifold because I like OEM parts and Honda spent quite a bit of time R&Ding this intake manifold. I'm selling it right now because I don't need it for my new project. That's why it's still in the plastic.

Hi-Resolution Pictures

Old 02-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for Boost? Edelbrock or ITR (0x64)

Yeah i dont think 20-30whp is worth $1,200-1,400 to me..but others may dissagree.. All well.. JG it is.. LoL.