Notices

best hood for heat evacuation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best hood for heat evacuation?

I just recently picked up a 2000si with a built b20 @14 psi. The car is perfect except for heat issues when stop and go driving in town. I am installing a 2100cfm fan today to hopefully remedy the issue. Being that this car is my daily driver I want to do even more to lower the temperature under the hood. I'm looking at getting a cf hood with vents. My question is what hoods have you all heard or know from experience to be the best for evacuating heat. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:35 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: best hood for heat evacuation?

When you mean "heat" issues, are you referring to an increase in water temperatures while in stop n go traffic, Higher EGTs that cause excessive heat from the combustion due to backpressure and retarded timing , Or are you simply referring to the radiant heat the emits from the engine bay?

If you're talking about radiant heat in the engine bay:
A turbocharged car is going to emit more heat due the turbine, manifold, and increased combustion. Most will either vent by cutting into the bumper in other areas, use additional washers in the hood latches to increase airflow directed from the windshield, or get a Seibon Vented hood, if they have the money.

You also may look into coating and/or wrapping important components of your turbo system like your downpipe, manifold and turbine housing. After that, there's not much more you can do here. The engine bay simply runs more heat than an NA car.. period.

If this deals with retarded timing, EGTs or other issues
Look to better fuels, your tune, colder plugs, etc. Since you haven't elaborated as to what "heat issues" you're referring to, people here can only speculate.

Last edited by TheShodan; 08-02-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hd this issue when running 91 myself, and I have been on E85 for a month now with no issues at all.

I can hotlap at the track, and never see over 190 degrees, and I can drive in the city, and the needle never moves.

This may also be an option for you.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is the radiant heat I am talking about. I was looking into spending the money on a seiben or vis. Already have heat wrapped downpipe was thinking bout throwing it on the manifold as well. I can run the car hard as hell it is just when i am sitting still all the heat has no where to go. E85 isn't an option considering the closest station it 60mi away.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Colder plugs, turbo blanket or a vented hood would be my suggestion. Pics??? I love pics!!! Lets see what you're working with.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am really just looking for the best hood out there to assist in pulling heat out. The car is functionally sound after just installing my new fan to lower the coolant heat. Just looking for opinions on the best hoods for efficiently pulling that radiant heat out.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have always wondered if the Evo style vented hoods actually worked to cool down the engine bay a little. It seems like that would be the best vent layout since it looks like it would help draw more air in the front by allowing it to escape from through the top of the hood.

BTW, nice paint job on the valve cover!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, that was from the previous owner. I just got this car about 2 weeks ago for a steal; my 04 cbr1000rr and $3,000. Not bad with 15k in receipts and 421whp on the dyno sheet. I'm familiar with b series just new to the turbo game. The guy just never daily drove it so sitting around and over heating was never and issue for him.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i took a regular OEM style carbon fiber hood and cut a evo8 shaped hole into it, put some mesh in and secured it. has worked just fine for me for about a year now...
Old 08-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cjordan got any pics?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm running 5 bolts and a vented hood

... the fit looks funny but it definetly promotes good circulation
Old 08-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run a VIS evo style hood my my EG. You can definitely see the heat rising up through the vents. i think a real evo has the vents lower (right above the exhaust manifold) and may work a bit better, but either way, im happy with my hood
Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what about invader
Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

VERY clean EG. I'd like to know what side skirts you used with it. I'm liking it a lot.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to know too. I'd plug the skirts' holes up before painting, but I like the nearly parallel lines.

As for the hood, I would not use that as the main solution in your case. You have your radiator just a few inches from 900F manifold runners, 1000F turbine, 600F downpipe, and 450-600F dumptube. It's like putting your finger above a butane lighter - will it only burn you if it's in an enclosed area, or will vent help??

There are 2 correct fixes, everything else is a very poor band-aid:
1) big fan *AND* full shroud, but don't get some no-name ebay unit with exagerated CFM numbers;
2) heat wrap & turbine blanket for everything near the radiator, or at least heat shields.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As you do your research you will find that many hoods with big cuts and vents in them don't look nearly as clean as oem.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice cvcdx, clean car and I like that hood.

dpetro1 - I was looking at getting a vis evo style hood, is there a big enough difference in radiant heat reduction to make it worth the cost?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 AM
DixielandImports Please

Originally Posted by HiProfile

1) big fan *AND* full shroud, but don't get some no-name ebay unit with exagerated CFM numbers;
2) heat wrap & turbine blanket for everything near the radiator, or at least heat shields.

^^^^^
That is the truth.
All the other things are a band-aid.
Will help a little but the problem will still be there.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HiProfile

I agree, I run a spal 13" (shroud on the way). This is the single most effective way to reduce overheating (actual ECT temps). But radiant heat can melt things and kill electronics so i think hood vents can be beneficial.

Originally Posted by kevdix
dpetro1 - I was looking at getting a vis evo style hood, is there a big enough difference in radiant heat reduction to make it worth the cost?
VIS lists them at $90 more than an oem style hood. I would say its worth it. You can see/feel the heat coming out of the vents. I've never actually measured or anything like that though. I also kinda like "monster 2" and "invader". all serve the same purpose.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, PM me your email address and I will get you some pics of what i did to my hood
Old 08-03-2009, 01:33 PM
DixielandImports Please

Originally Posted by dpetro1
I agree, I run a spal 13" (shroud on the way). This is the single most effective way to reduce overheating (actual ECT temps). But radiant heat can melt things and kill electronics so i think hood vents can be beneficial.

Where did you get a 13" fan shroud from?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy an airsaw and cut your own vents. I did it on my s2k I'm happy with the way it turned out.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
VIS lists them at $90 more than an oem style hood. I would say its worth it. You can see/feel the heat coming out of the vents. I've never actually measured or anything like that though. I also kinda like "monster 2" and "invader". all serve the same purpose.

I'm gonna go ahead and do this. Just got my 2200cfm fan installed which fixed the ECT heat but the radiant heat is what scares me noww considering the plastic/electronics around the hot spots.
The invader looks the best for the look and functional placement of the vent.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Judging by that picture id say your biggest radiant heat issue is your unwrapped ramhorn and dp. you will be extremely surprised how much cooler under the hood will be if you wrap them. that will fix your radiant heat issue. I have a top mount nad had to run a turbo blanket on the turbine to keep from cooking my hood, also had to wrap my DP in order to keep the engine cool because so close to rad would make the car run 210-215 now car runs 196-200 with the a/c in 90 degree heat and only the rad fan no condensor fan (yet)

i also have a half core mishimoto with a 14" zirgo extreme cool 2800cfm fan. it takes up the entire radiator and acts like a shrouded smaller fan but pulls way more cfm. I also have my hondata kick my fan on at 200. stock it wont turn fans on til 203 and then it creeps up to 208 before dropping down to 192. I didnt care for that type of heat cycle s i changed it. I also have the spacers in my stock dc hood which helps somewhat. it took 2 degrees out of the engine coolant temps.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can pull the rubber graumet from the back of your hood off. This can let engine bay air into your cowling (and into your cabin), but it will also flow more air out the "back" of the hood.

Quick Reply: best hood for heat evacuation?