Notices

Best//Easiest way to get car up and running after putting in turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best//Easiest way to get car up and running after putting in turbo.

well my cars been out for a month, and i really need my car cuz of skewl....i have no money for a dyno tune and i have a connect for a street tune but he's VERY VERY HARD to contact, so i was thinking about running fmu and i know everyone be saying fmu is not good and **** but im pretty sure fmu isnt BAD, its just that now a days you got programs like hondata and **** they are more EFFICIENT ...so imma be running the fmu until i have enuff money for a dyno tune or someshit...

plz give me some feedbacks//tips
i want something temporarily that I CAN PUSH

Old 09-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best//Easiest way to get car up and running after putting in turbo. (88HaveFun)

Put a header and intake on it and drive it till you have time to put a real management on it and tune it correctly.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Best//Easiest way to get car up and running after putting in turbo. (nsxmatt)

blah, thats whack!!!!
i wanna get this thing up and running

LOL
Old 09-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best//Easiest way to get car up and running after putting in turbo. (88HaveFun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88HaveFun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">blah, thats whack!!!!
i wanna get this thing up and running

LOL </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, you are going to be in even more of a bind when you blow your engine due to lack of good management.

But hey, if you are too impatient to do it right. Then just cross your fingers when you hit boost.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best//Easiest way to get car up and running after putting in turbo. (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, you are going to be in even more of a bind when you blow your engine due to lack of good management.

But hey, if you are too impatient to do it right. Then just cross your fingers when you hit boost. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What he said..... or order a basemap from someone and say out of boost.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Best//Easiest way to get car up and running after putting in turbo. (nebulight)

well ive heard from people that have been running a basemap for like months and they push and everything. I also know a guy that has been running an fmu for YEARS, literally...

Old 09-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88HaveFun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well ive heard from people that have been running a basemap for like months and they push and everything. I also know a guy that has been running an fmu for YEARS, literally...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've also heard of people who are impatient and run their car without proper engine management and keep blowing motors. You come to Honda-Tech for help, if you don't want to listen because what we say is "wack" than be my guest and do what you wish. We'll look forward to your "getting out of the game, FI is wack" sale in classifieds in a few days.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Best//Easiest way to get car up and running after putting in turbo. (nsxmatt)

Shouldn't have installed everything unless you knew you were ready to tune soon afterwards.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Best//Easiest way to get car up and running after putting in turbo. (EK k kay)

uhh neva said i was impatient....my car has been out for a month and it took me 2 days to slap on the kit.. i was just lookin for an alternative that runs good until i can get the proper tuning...
Old 09-03-2006, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a wideband? or laptop? If you do, tune it yourself its easy. Or if any of your friends have that stuff. You can do a very safe street tune that will be fine. Might not drive perfect, but its def. doable.

You can get the widebands for pretty cheap now, and actually my first tune i did, i did via my home computer and just watched my wideband, and made my adjustments. That setup, Single cam, stock internals, 15 psi, went 13.003 on street tires. You have other options besided the FMU or a dyno tune.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What ever you do, please get that car running. You need to get to "skewl" so you can learn proper grammer and spelling.

Its your car do what you want. If your not willing to listen to / accept the input of others on the site then why did you post the question at all? They gave you the alternatives, get it properly tuned, go back NA until you can afford FI, run a basemap and stay out of boost, or do your FMU and whatever you want.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:36 AM

Get a hold of Chris @ xenocron, he will write you a crome basemap for $20 to your door, just use that and stay out of boost. Simple as that.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Re: (B18C Turbo)

why u guys keep sayin im not going to listen lol..

how cheap are wideband kits now a days and where can i get it
Old 09-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (88HaveFun)

how bout stock ecu and injectors, and NO NO NO boost. the car will run like stock when out of boost. i did that for a 2-hour trip after installing my kit. its pretty easy to watch your boost gauge and not boost at all. even if you are driving like a grandma on the highway.

not the best idea but it will work.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dpetro1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how bout stock ecu and injectors, and NO NO NO boost. the car will run like stock when out of boost. i did that for a 2-hour trip after installing my kit. its pretty easy to watch your boost gauge and not boost at all. even if you are driving like a grandma on the highway.

not the best idea but it will work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be pointless in his situation though. He's not driving a short distance to tune he's wanting a way to drive around without a tune or proper fuel management but with a turbo so he can "push". Whatever in the hell that means.

What he needs to do is go back and do research on how a turbo works and what different fuel management systems are out there and what would fit his needs. When you have purchased all the items and have a good basemap and someone who can tune the car within a few days of going turbo then install the turbo and drive it, "push" it, or whatever it is you do.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88HaveFun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why u guys keep sayin im not going to listen lol..

how cheap are wideband kits now a days and where can i get it </TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.xenocron.com/

$410 for the tuning package.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nfn15037)

You could chip the ecu yourself and follow instructions on uberdata's forum or pgmfi.org (using crome) to make a quite accurate basemap, which is miles ahead of an fmu and twisting the distributor back, not to mention cheaper.

I agree with the guys saying go with xenocron . He'll set you up with a kit to chip your ecu and make you a basemap for a fraction of the cost of an fmu, or if you want he'll chip your ecu for you with the basemap, most likely still cheaper than an fmu. Good luck
Old 09-03-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Re: (eastbay92cx)

yeah i got the chip ecu and everything, im waiting for some guy to burn me a basemap but hes laggin hard..the guy told me that the map hes burning me is from a setup that was very similiar to mine and it was tuned, if i were to run that, is it ok for me to hit boost or should i just still stay away from boost?
Old 09-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I ordered a basemap from Phearable.net for 30 bucks. I will drive the car, but stay out of boost (it won't be hard with such a large turbo) until I can get an appointment with Evans-tuning and have it tuned. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how long does it take to learn how to get a Very Proper tune with the xenocron kit? Could someone tune their setup with the same reliability the professional tuners charge?
Old 09-03-2006, 10:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88HaveFun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i got the chip ecu and everything, im waiting for some guy to burn me a basemap but hes laggin hard..the guy told me that the map hes burning me is from a setup that was very similiar to mine and it was tuned, if i were to run that, is it ok for me to hit boost or should i just still stay away from boost?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would NOT run boost with out a wideband. I dont understand why people think they can 'get away' running a boosted car without a wideband. A wideband should be considered insurance for your investment. I would never start with a "tuned" map because every engine is different. The 'tuned' map may cause ill effects on your motor especially if its not setup right. Make your self a base map on crome, by a chip burner and learn. If you got this far with putting your turbo kit on you can definitly tune it
Old 09-03-2006, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Best//Easiest way to get car up and running after putting in turbo. (SiR99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiR99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how long does it take to learn how to get a Very Proper tune with the xenocron kit? Could someone tune their setup with the same reliability the professional tuners charge?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it will take a while to learn how to get everything setup. It probably took me a good week of driving back and forth to school to get a really good tune going. Its not to bad to get your tune really close to where it needs to be (ie adjust fuel values etc...) but it takes a little longer to tweak timing values and specific multipliers. here is a great guide for using crome your first time: http://www.xenocron.com/install/CromeGuide.htm
Old 09-04-2006, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Best//Easiest way to get car up and running after putting in turbo. (InfamousDC2FI)

People have pushed their cars without a tune...it's possible, but being in boost only increases your chances of blowing your engine for a number of reasons. Oh and if you're running higher output injectors, you're gonna foul your spark plugs reeeeaaally fast which leads to very poor driveability/start up. I don't recommend boosting at all without a tune, but if you have to DRIVE your car around because of school, then put on stock injectors and stay out of boost.