Notices

Benefits of a Type R LSD Tranny for Turbo... HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefits of a Type R LSD Tranny for Turbo... HELP!!!!

I tried to do a search, and couldnt find much...

This is what Im looking at doing, I have a GSR that I am completely building and am wanting to turbo it. I have a GSR tranny, but I want shorter gears.. WOuld it be worth while to get the Type R Tranny for the shorter gears and the LSD? I was looking at 2 different trannys to get, either a Type R Tranny LSD or a LS Tranny LSD? Which would everybody prefer?

Im leaning more towards the TYpe R cuz the shorter gears and I would like how quick it will accelerate... Will the LS tranny actually be quicker cuz the long gears? Please let me know ASAP. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Benefits of a Type R LSD Tranny for Turbo... HELP!!!! (compwc18)

Your car will accelerate slower with the LS trans. Gearing is a mechanical advantage, and the ITR trans gives you a better mechanical advantage.

IMHO, save the money you would spend on an ITR trans and put a good LSD like a quaiffe into your GSR trans. The GSR and the ITR are very similar, and the GSR is always a good choice for a turbo street VTEC motor.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Benefits of a Type R LSD Tranny for Turbo... HELP!!!! (Chip)

doesnt it have the longer gears though? compared to the type r
Old 06-17-2005, 08:47 PM

and the gsr tranny has a cracked casing that has hodnabond on it to seal it shut... which is another reason why i want tog et a new tranny...
Old 06-17-2005, 08:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by compwc18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">doesnt it have the longer gears though? compared to the type r</TD></TR></TABLE>

What did I just say? Gearing is a mechanical advantage. ITR has shorter gearing which = better mechanicaly advantage. It's the same idea as crankshafts. Think of the LS crank as like the B16 crank, and the ITR/B16 trans as like an LS crank. LS crank is longer for more mechanical advantage, and both make you faster.

I don't even know how longer gears = faster got started. Try this. Floor your car doing 35 in fifth gear. That's one hell of a long gear. Tell me how quick it accelerates.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Benefits of a Type R LSD Tranny for Turbo... HELP!!!! (Chip)

Yes I am aware of that... But driving a GSR and driving a B16 the tranny's seem like they are way different in gearing... I could be wrong, but thats my own opinion. I know the shorter the faster, but a lot of people say the longer you stay in boost (which would be the LS tranny) the better it is... But I dont want the gears to be long, cuz too me it seems like it would lag at times. But yes thanks for the info, and would like to see some more...

J
Old 06-18-2005, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was wondering this also...im in the same situation....
Old 06-18-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Look at the official gear ratios and final drive of all of these transmissions. In Japan, most of thier applications are a 4.785 final drive.

I actually used a turbo hybrid monster setup, with GREAT results against an ITR and GS-R transmission.

I used a base LS transmission, w/ a 4.785 Final Drive and Cusco LSD, since the car will never see the drag race, and great for road race conditions. I still have the advantge of the 5th gear, but great 1st-4th acceleration that couldn't be beat. I guess I was just too lazy to sell the LS, hope I get what I paid, buy another tranny, yada yada yada....

I wound up w/ cool and different combination. And everything fit, too..
Old 06-18-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: (TheShodan)

im looking at wanting to race it and pull some good times... i did think about swapping parts from a type r tranny and a ls tranny, and seeing what i can come up with, like first 2 geras be type r and the rest LS with the LSD and Final Drive... I just dont quite know how this would be though? What do you think?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

You're looking at drag race, it's a good multiplier to a little better acceration. Since I come out of a turn for the better acceleration off an apex, it helps me, but Drag Racing is something I don't do, so it's up to you.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (compwc18)

I ran a itr tranny in my boost setup loved it but decided to change up because the daily driven 3" drone forced me too. I have seen and raced against a few setups and one was with a ls tranny with his turbo setup (t3/to4e 57 trim) which seemed good, he never fell out of boost but if you plan on running a larger turbo you might have some issues. Gsr trannies in my opinion are the best of both world trannies.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: (Juggernaut 2)

I was going to run a smaller turbo that would spool fully by about 3500-4500, thats what im looking at, i will research that as the time comes also.... so with the LS tranny you will hardly ever fall out of boost... but the gear will constantly pull harder and harder... correct? where as the Type R will just go... What i really want to see is a race, same motors but one with a type r tranny and one with a ls or gsr? whichever, doesnt matter to me...
Old 06-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill buy your busted gsr tranny if you want to sell it.
almost all honda trannys have the same 1-2 gear ratios, the only ones that are diffrent are 3-5. if its a street car an ls 5th is always nice because it keeps your rpm's low on the highway.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by compwc18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was going to run a smaller turbo that would spool fully by about 3500-4500, thats what im looking at, i will research that as the time comes also.... so with the LS tranny you will hardly ever fall out of boost... but the gear will constantly pull harder and harder... correct? where as the Type R will just go... What i really want to see is a race, same motors but one with a type r tranny and one with a ls or gsr? whichever, doesnt matter to me...</TD></TR></TABLE>

There was a video posted a 'lil while ago of a 2.0 LS/VTEC hatch vs. an 81.5mm LS/VTEC DA. The hatch had a drag kit, but made a few more peak WHP and more average WHP, spooled quicker than the DA with a full-race kit. The DA had a B16 trans, hatch had an LS trans. DA pulled away from the lighter car with more power for most of the run, the hatch slowly caught up on the very top end when it's higher HP and lighter weight started to outweigh the LS trans.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1076429

There's a link to the vid
Old 06-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My friends car using a Type R tranny was running on the limiter through the traps in fourth gear, slowing him down alot. That was at 9000 rpm using 24.5" slicks. Just something to think about.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: (Juggernaut 2)

I was going to run a smaller turbo that would spool fully by about 3500-4500, thats what im looking at, i will research that as the time comes also.... so with the LS tranny you will hardly ever fall out of boost... but the gear will constantly pull harder and harder... correct? where as the Type R will just go... What i really want to see is a race, same motors but one with a type r tranny and one with a ls or gsr? whichever, doesnt matter to me...
Old 06-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, using my friends car as an example. He would have ran faster using a GSR or LS tranny, just because he wouldnt have been bouncing on the limiter just before crossing the traps. Upping his rev limit would also fix the problem, but it just wasnt an option at the time. Also tire size would have helped. Still all things being equal, just changing the tranny would have made his run faster. Possibly the deciding factor between the 11.00 his car ran and hitting a 10.99.