Notices

BDl Industries Cam Gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BDl Industries Cam Gears

These guys straight up suck @$$ and Im here to warn anyone looking to get a pair of cam gears for thier motor. Whatever you choose, stay far away from BDL industries gears! The auction stated in the finest print the auction was for 1 gear and I missed that but I assumed rigth away because of the price it was for a pair. Many gears on ebay right now are going for less than $100 a pair, I figured I would splurge drop and extra $10 for these gears because they were a nice bronze color and he says the teeth wont chew up OEM timing belts.

The gear looks nice but the markings are not even near as easy to read as my Tru-times I once used, the black teeth make it very very hard to see the markings for TDC. I am not pleased with this other than the anodizing.

I get the box today and find out there is just 1 gear in it. I keep getting f---ed when I buy gears, the first time I was sent a pair of gears that didn't even fit a b-series and It was too late to send them back when I tried them. Now Im out another $110 for this 1 gear. Reported to ebay for false advertising although they did state the listing was for 1 gear the fine print was BS and would throw off many. Wish i spent more time reading instead of buying but I was in a hurry to finish this motor. This is what this scene is all about I wish there were more honest people.

Thats my story.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:25 AM

Default Re: BDl Industries Cam Gears (B18C Turbo)

so bdl is junk because YOU didnt read the fine print, and because YOU cant read the timing marks? i have 2 bdl cam gears sitting in front of me at the shop right now, and i seem to have no problems reading anything on them
Old 10-25-2006, 09:27 AM

Who sells 1 cam gear, are you serious? What am I supposed to do with 1 gear? I knew something was wrong when they didn't leave me feedback as soon as I paid.

be realistic, why are they selling just 1 gear.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:30 AM

Default Re: (B18C Turbo)

well, we are a BDL dealer, and you have to order 2 gears. thats how is has been, and will be. they come individually packaged in seperate packages.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who sells 1 cam gear, are you serious? What am I supposed to do with 1 gear? I knew something was wrong when they didn't leave me feedback as soon as I paid.

be realistic, why are they selling just 1 gear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What if you only wanted to adjust your exhaust side? Most times you don't even need to adjust your cam gears for optimal results.

Thanks for posting your lack of attention! Made me chuckle.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to be a dick or anything, but it says you need set the quantity to 2 to get a full set clearly in their description. If you're going to use ebay, you must read the description. I sell quite a bit of stuff on ebay and I hate it when people make assumptions and don't bother to read the accurate descriptions that I take the time to put together.

That said, they look exactly like STR gears, which I really like.

Here's what their auctions look like, in case anyone's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

Old 10-25-2006, 09:32 AM

Why do they think that is effective?

Perhaps they think its effective to just run1 adj. gear and 1 stock gear...

In the end im f---ed, I can't finish this motor now because of stupid things like this I keep getting f---ed on. Thats all there is too it.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:35 AM

but in the end.... this is your fault, dont come on honda-tech whining like a little girl about something you cause and you got yourself into.

/thread
Old 10-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do they think that is effective?

Perhaps they think its effective to just run1 adj. gear and 1 stock gear...

In the end im f---ed, I can't finish this motor now because of stupid things like this I keep getting f---ed on. Thats all there is too it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In some cases it is effective. IF you know anything about cam tuning you will know that sometimes you don't need to make any adjustmants at all. Plain and simple man.

When I got the STR cam gears they only came with one gear.... of course I did my homework and knew that I would need to order TWO!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tepid1)

$185-200 is the going rate for a good pair of cam gears. The BDL's are good. BDL = STR, new name, same products. This is just another reason to not use ebay to buy your parts. If you would have called a dealer up about these they would have explained to you that they are sold individually and you could have gone elsewhere to buy cheaper gears.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Re: (hybrid_KJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybrid_KJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$185-200 is the going rate for a good pair of cam gears. The BDL's are good. BDL = STR, new name, same products. This is just another reason to not use ebay to buy your parts. If you would have called a dealer up about these they would have explained to you that they are sold individually and you could have gone elsewhere to buy cheaper gears. </TD></TR></TABLE>

whats the difference between gears @ $200 and gears at $100. Thats right, nothing, they are the same just different styles/colors. Minus the name, just like everything else.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some cam gears are total crap, cheap fasteners that strip or cause them to slip, crappy anodizing that wears off and leaves them all pitted, tiny little unreadable markings that come off after a few thousand miles, etc. Personally I'd pay more for a set of the new GE gears or the STR gears that are decent.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me guess, maybe quality is different. But what do I know...

I have a set of Toda gears myself and they are excellent, but pricey.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:52 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1

do you have experience with the lower priced gears? Or are you assuming that is what is going to happen because of the price?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Theres even one cam gear pictured lol. and noted in red print. Who buys something without reading first. Seriously. I should start selling empty boxes on ebay.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:01 AM

Default Re: (boostedej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theres even one cam gear pictured lol. and noted in red print. Who buys something without reading first. Seriously. I should start selling empty boxes on ebay. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think its pretty lame that they would sell cam gears individually for a DOHC application. Be realistic, are they selling them individually in case someone needs 1 replacement gear . No they do it because they get suckers like me who need a part fast and assume through price its for a pair.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems more like an eBay seller issue than an actual BDL issue, since the seller isn't affiliated with BDL. No need to bash the manufacturer because of an auction they had nothing to do with. Also, it does clearly say in red text that the auction is for one gear, so I don't see any false advertising .
Old 10-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1

do you have experience with the lower priced gears? Or are you assuming that is what is going to happen because of the price?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't shop primarily based on price so no, I have no personal experience with cheap gears.

I have owned a set of ST Corsa gears and they where nice enough, but I had a few issues with them, namely the bolts being 1/8" to long so they touched the back cover, and them beeing a bitch to adjust (getting the locking pin in place). So when I did my new engine build I got me a set of Toda gears as I really liked the design, and the quality is very good as well.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
do you have experience with the lower priced gears? Or are you assuming that is what is going to happen because of the price?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I've seen it. I wish I'd saved the gears off of my brother's GSR motor, they were a perfect example of cheap ebay cam gears falling apart. I had an old set of ebay gears that had really soft lockdown screws with phillips heads that would strip out easily. I replaced them with good screws, but the marks were sill tiny and hard to read, plus the rotating part was close to the center of the gear, making it hard to adjust them. I use GE gears now, excellent quality and very easy to adjust.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I get the box today and find out there is just 1 gear in it. I keep getting f---ed when I buy gears, the first time I was sent a pair of gears that didn't even fit a b-series and It was too late to send them back when I tried them. Now Im out another $110 for this 1 gear. Reported to ebay for false advertising although they did state the listing was for 1 gear the fine print was BS and would throw off many. Wish i spent more time reading instead of buying but I was in a hurry to finish this motor. This is what this scene is all about I wish there were more honest people.

Thats my story.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They sell 1 at a time. He was not false advertising, you just have a problem reading.

Go to any site... they advertise them per cam gear.