Notices

bcintron95's S362-sxe B18C1 Dynamometer Results

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: bcintron95's S362-sxe B18C1 Dynamometer Results

Originally Posted by extremeracer
Why is the S3xx SX-E series of turbo still such an unknown entity ? Finding non-diesel related dyno graphs, videos, data etc. is really hard. I'm genuinely wondering and not just trying to be a smart *** -the pricing is reasonable, the flow rates are competitive (on paper at least) and BW has a solid reputation for durable, well made turbos.

Has everyone just made the switch to PTE in this 62-68mm range and is ignoring the non-EFR Borg stuff ?
Kinda reminds me of how there is literally no one on the internet who has shared information regarding the use of TNX or GTK turbos (well, a couple really old threads about GTKs, very little in terms of results though). I've seen a couple SXE result threads on S2ki, evolutionm, and perhaps some supra forums. Certainly not commonly reported on either, though.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Your dyno graph looks suspect. A heavy dip in the torque curve should translate into a dip in the HP curve, and yet, yours is unaffected. Why ?
Could this have been caused by a squirrelly section of ignition timing? Something that may be smoothed out?
Old 11-07-2018, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 795 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Could this have been caused by a squirrelly section of ignition timing? Something that may be smoothed out?
It is possible that a dip in spark advance would translate into a dip in performance... but this isn't what I was questioning. The dip CANNOT exist in the torque graph and NOT exist in the same area on the HP graph. Remember that at any position throughout the engine's operational range, from idle to redline, HP and Torque are a mathematical product related to the other. IF you know one value, you can solve for the other.

HP = (Torque x RPM) / 5252

Torque = (HP x 5252) / RPM

So, if we use the posted graph from the OP to illustrate my point, lets do some math. Since there is NO rpm on the "X" axis, but in fact vehicle/roller speed in mph... I am going to make some educated guesses... not to be specific in the values that are produced, but to simply illustrate the trend.

Let's assume the point at 98 mph is 8800 rpm and the point at 102 mph (the middle of the dip) is 9100 rpm. (I have used these values based on the relationship of the HP and Torque graphs at the point just before the dip being approximately 404 HP and 241 Torque).

So at 8800 rpm, the torque is about 240 ft/lbs and at 9100 rpm the torque drops about 40 ft/lbs down to about 200 ft/lbs. Based on these values, the HP should be as follows for these two points:

404 HP at 8800 rpm and subsequently, 347 HP at 9100. The graph shows approximately 420 HP at 9100 rpm... this is a 73 HP difference. The dip should be BIGGER in the HP line than the one plotted in the Torque line since we are looking at a point above 5252 rpm on the graph.

Now, as a side note: I am not sure what transmission the OP is using in this application, but if it is being pulled in 3rd gear, there is a strong possibility of spinning the tires on the roller and the torque values will be skewed.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is possible that a dip in spark advance would translate into a dip in performance... but this isn't what I was questioning. The dip CANNOT exist in the torque graph and NOT exist in the same area on the HP graph. Remember that at any position throughout the engine's operational range, from idle to redline, HP and Torque are a mathematical product related to the other. IF you know one value, you can solve for the other.

So, if we use the posted graph from the OP to illustrate my point, lets do some math. Since there is NO rpm on the "X" axis, but in fact vehicle/roller speed in mph... I am going to make some educated guesses... not to be specific in the values that are produced, but to simply illustrate the trend.

Let's assume the point at 98 mph is 8800 rpm and the point at 102 mph (the middle of the dip) is 9100 rpm. (I have used these values based on the relationship of the HP and Torque graphs at the point just before the dip being approximately 404 HP and 241 Torque).

So at 8800 rpm, the torque is about 240 ft/lbs and at 9100 rpm the torque drops about 40 ft/lbs down to about 200 ft/lbs. Based on these values, the HP should be as follows for these two points:

404 HP at 8800 rpm and subsequently, 347 HP at 9100. The graph shows approximately 420 HP at 9100 rpm... this is a 73 HP difference. The dip should be BIGGER in the HP line than the one plotted in the Torque line since we are looking at a point above 5252 rpm on the graph.

Now, as a side note: I am not sure what transmission the OP is using in this application, but if it is being pulled in 3rd gear, there is a strong possibility of spinning the tires on the roller and the torque values will be skewed.
All pulls were in 4th gear on a gsr trans
Old 11-08-2018, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Yeah the power by mph is a little anorgasmic haha.
Id like to see an rpm sheet if there is one. Do you remember when you get full boost on 3-4 gear?
On the other hand any dyno sheet is usefull.

On the tech things 62mm sxe looks VERY close to the 62MM FMW, thats close enough to the s363.
Still id get 362 sxe over anything if i wanted "single scroll" due to better efficiency islands and better choke line on the lower pressure ratios.
On the sxe vs s362 FMW surge line in very close.

I’m not sure. I just know it really only “hits” when vtec engages. I’ll upload some data logs for you when I get the chance.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:40 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

This is noteworthy, but I've seen plenty of dyno days where they have issues getting the torque to read properly as it required a separate lead to function, and sometimes it would jump all over the place on the graph where the HP reading was consistent. I'm not sure if that is the case on this particular dyno.... Just saying it seems more reasonable than the theory that this entire chart must have been fabricated. If it were fabricated, why make the dip in the first place?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

That's some automotive sorcery right there! Let's look at a few other things.
Let's look at the X-axis here and see where it started to record. Looks to be at about 62mph. OP says GSR trans in 4th. So, RPM would be figured between 32 and 3500 at the time this pull began. Seems to coincide with where torque and hp cross in the beginning (if that's where VTEC should be kicking in, around 4400). If following that, RPM would be CRAZY high at peak power levels on here. Unless I'm off track? I dunno. Something seems weird, just don't know what. Would RPM dyno measure differently than MPH scale-wise? I'm not sure if I even know how to phrase my question. Lol
Old 11-08-2018, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 795 Likes on 735 Posts

2x0, for the record... I am NOT suggesting that the OP has fabricated this dyno graph. My questions were merely to understand why the discrepancies existed. The tuner and the OP were present when the dyno pulls occurred... we H-T members were not. My experience with the DynoJet system suggests that since the tach signal was not being received solidly by the dyno stack/computer, the measuring of the performance/output of the engine is relegated to calculating HP only by measuring the time necessary to accelerate the dyno roller from the starting speed to the terminal speed. The "dip" in torque is likely a computer glitch and therefore, not "fixable" by the tuner AND not an issue the OP should be concerned with.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The torque was all over the place when we were dynoing. Like I said the car runs very smooth and a dip like that would be very noticeable