Notices

The battle is FINALLY OVER with overheating....weird reason too........NICE GROUNDING KIT PICS.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The battle is FINALLY OVER with overheating....weird reason too........NICE GROUNDING KIT PICS.

Ok guys some of you may have seen my different reasons on why I thought my car was overheating. I tried everything from wrapping my downpipe, better fan with higher CFM, block off air, buy a turbo jacket, watter wetter: you name it I have tried.

Problem: My temp. guage would go up rapidly and then go down rapidly at times as well. I always thought to myself this whole time that there is no way it can go down that fast. Paid more money to have head removed and they found a small hairline crack around my valve guides. We thought that would fix it, but it didn't.

So the last time we were tuning my car at 6K RPM my car started to trip. We couldn't figure it out until my master tech said lets do a ghetto rig ground wire. Sure enough it was good enough to tune car. I removed the ground for the ride home since it looked ghetto and sure enough more overheating. I finally thought maybe something is just not grounded right and causing my fan to turn on late etc. etc.etc........

Bought a NRG grouding kit (See pictures below):

Tranny:

Valve cover and fuel rail:

Valve cover to front radiator support:

Whole right side:

Throttle body and rear firewall:

Final piece to ground on battery:

Now my car is solid under half on my guage. I ran it hard yesterday to test it again and still no overheating. Today is in the 90's and it went a little over half way, but went back down when fan kicked in.

Something was just not grounded right. OMG....that was it all this time. I guess moral of the story is make sure your motor swap is grounded right. The car also idles better and start up is solid.

Sorry for long post, but just wanted to let everyone know how happy I am......

Good luck to the rest of you overheaters.......
Old 05-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fyi, the grounding points on the valve cover are incorrect.

you need to ground them to the valve cover nuts which holds the valve cover down(it actually makes contact with you engine).

the point in which you have the grounding points on the valve cover are isolated from the electric flow, from the spark in which the plugs release into the head, by the rubber valve cover gaskets.

maybe you problem in the begining was that you only had one ground wire coming from teh valve cover(wrong place), which resulted in improper grounding.

the electrical current flow in the way you have it now is only go out through the throttle ground and the tranny ground.

simply relocate the grounds on the valve cover to what i told you and your set.

congrats on solving your electrial issue.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good, offtopic but what car did you order that torque damper for been looking for one that would fit a eg with a b series motor, most say sohc only. thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigD)

Does someone want to explain the rationalization that poor electrical grounding created an engine overheating problem?

In all my life I have never seen nor heard of anything like that. Ive been turning wrenches for nearly 20 years no less
Old 05-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybridracers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridracers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does someone want to explain the rationalization that poor electrical grounding created an engine overheating problem?

In all my life I have never seen nor heard of anything like that. Ive been turning wrenches for nearly 20 years no less</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, it's far more likely that it was his gauge acting up due to poor grounding and not the car actually overheating.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:31 PM

It cannot be explained I tell you....... why a ground caused my car not to work properly....

I am not a mechanic and can only explain what I have done.

As far as the valve cover grounding points, the two points I put it at were bare where there was no paint. It is as if they wanted to ground it on those two points.

Finally: You have to use a Integra model engine torque damper. Mine is from Ingalls. The cheaper Ebay ones mount a bit different but use the same model: Integra.

Thanks for feedback.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Urugly)

This is perhaps the dumbest post I have read in this forum.

I am glad you fixed your electrical issue though.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:42 PM

Default Re: (gsrious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fyi, the grounding points on the valve cover are incorrect.

you need to ground them to the valve cover nuts which holds the valve cover down(it actually makes contact with you engine).

the point in which you have the grounding points on the valve cover are isolated from the electric flow, from the spark in which the plugs release into the head, by the rubber valve cover gaskets.

maybe you problem in the begining was that you only had one ground wire coming from teh valve cover(wrong place), which resulted in improper grounding.

the electrical current flow in the way you have it now is only go out through the throttle ground and the tranny ground.

simply relocate the grounds on the valve cover to what i told you and your set.

congrats on solving your electrial issue.</TD></TR></TABLE>

saw the pics and thought the same exact thing. def move the grouns to the VC mounting studs not those bolts right there.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:25 PM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: (mike@synapse motorsport)

So the ground should be between the nut and the rubber correct?

Congrats on solving your problem also.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:27 PM

Default Re: (HondamanXxX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So the ground should be between the nut and the rubber correct?

Congrats on solving your problem also. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yup see below.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:29 PM
GO GIANTS!

Thanks for clarifying. Any particular reason why it didn't come from the factory like that?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy canoli batman! That's alot of grounds!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondamanXxX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for clarifying. Any particular reason why it didn't come from the factory like that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

im pretty sure it does come from the factory like that, def how I have mine. Any other way and its completely isolated from the engine..... rubber gasket at bottom of valvecover and the rubber grommets.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

The most important ground in a Honda engine bay is the engine harness ground on the back of the motor (water neck).
Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike@synapse motorsport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

saw the pics and thought the same exact thing. def move the grouns to the VC mounting studs not those bolts right there.</TD></TR></TABLE> thanks mike.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:22 AM

Default Re: (gsrious)

You can also mount it on the PS pump bracket that is unused for better engine grounding!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:35 AM

Made the change on the grounding point to where you said. I do remember that is where the stock location was. I just thought it was where I put it.

Thanks Mike for the reminder.

I know it looks like a lot of ground points, but I just wanted to make sure to eliminate grounding as my issues while troubleshooting. I have been battling overheating for two years now.

In my case it was as stupid as this ground. Maybe because I just didn't know any better.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 AM

glad you fixed it !!!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:47 AM

Thanks Phil...now I can put your work to daily use....

I will put your brother to the test.... he likes the challenge....
Old 05-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow you have grounds there for 5 cars lol
Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Urugly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks Phil...now I can put your work to daily use....

I will put your brother to the test.... he likes the challenge....</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol have you seen his recent kills ?
Old 05-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Urugly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It cannot be explained I tell you....... why a ground caused my car not to work properly....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Urugly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Problem: My temp. guage would go up rapidly and then go down rapidly at times as well. I always thought to myself this whole time that there is no way it can go down that fast.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry man, but this screams electrical problems lol.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Drew Peacock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drew Peacock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is perhaps the dumbest post I have read in this forum. </TD></TR></TABLE>

+1