Notices

Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS?

For those that have relocated the battery to their trunks, and ran the power wire along the passenger side - any ill effects on your ECU? I'm running the AEM in the stock ECU location. Any types of shielded wire that can limit the interference that you would recommend? Thanks
Old 02-19-2004, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (mskibbz-T)

i have my battery in my trunk, and ran the power wire along the passenger side... no problems @ all.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (JDMB16ACRX)

I also was worried about this also once I started relocating... good question.

anyone else?
Old 02-19-2004, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (twkdCD595)

Wrap alumnium foil around the power wire where it goes past the ecu.. Im assuming that your power wire is running up the passanger side past the ecu..
Old 02-19-2004, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (mskibbz-T)

I ran the power wire right against the ECM (and also worried about this) and have not had any problems. If you do experience any issues you can shield the power wire with a metal foil cover near the ECM location and ground one end of it to the chassis (only one end though).

I bet you will be fine, just use some good quality cable
Old 02-19-2004, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (BROOD)

When you guys did this, did you run a long wire straight from the alternator to the trunk, and from the engine fuse box to the trunk? And what gauge did you use?

Thx
Old 02-19-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (TeamCracka)

1awg from trunk to rear mounted kill switch, 1awg from switch to distribution block under hood, from there I wired to the fusebox as the factory did 8awg. 1awg is overkill though, 4awg is fine.
I would rather use sterio cable over welding cable or the usual battery reloaction cable. The sterio stuff is more flexable, has better insulation, and has more strands in the conductor.
12awg wire runs from the kill switch relay to the alternator to cut alternator power when switch is activated.
I also am adding a single power wire from battery to ECM memory power feed to retain my ECM learning when the battery kill switch is used. A diode will keep power feeding only to the ECM.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (TeamCracka)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamCracka &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you guys did this, did you run a long wire straight from the alternator to the trunk, and from the engine fuse box to the trunk? And what gauge did you use?

Thx</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont run a wire from the alternator to the trunk.. Just run it to a distro block under the hood.. Run 1 4awg wire from the battery in trunk to under the hood..
Old 02-19-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (tgreaves)

Use Stinger 4awg hpm power wire.. Its the best stuff I have seen for power..
Old 02-19-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (BROOD)

why would somoene wanna put there bttery in the trunk?
trunk battery = teh gay ricer style
Old 02-19-2004, 12:05 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (dc2b18c1gsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2b18c1gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would somoene wanna put there bttery in the trunk?
trunk battery = teh gay ricer style</TD></TR></TABLE>

you = Dumbest member that posted today
Old 02-19-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (dc2b18c1gsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2b18c1gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would somoene wanna put there bttery in the trunk?

You have to be kidding here.. I need to do it because there is a big *** charge pipe that going to be where my battery is sitting right now.. There are many reasons to put it in the back.. If you only think people do it because that are ricers then you have alot to learn..
Old 02-19-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (Mpir3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you = Dumbest member that posted today </TD></TR></TABLE>

hehe Good one.. His % is 0 now..
Old 02-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh geez, everything that I've heard from dc2b18c1gsr today has been a complete waste (what does his name mean anyways? Good thing he knows a B18C1 comes in an Integra and is a GSR )... Anyway to just back everyone else up more I've done this on several cars without any problem... I use 4AWG from the rear of the car forward, mount a distribution block above the ECU, run two 8AWG wires out to the engine bay (1 to the main fusebox, the other to the starter), and you're set to go... I also like running the distribution block as it makes sourcing for power really easy when you have a lot of electronics to run... Run your alternator line to the main fuse box just as it normally would, there's no need to change anything there... I haven't had any interference problems yet running stock ECU's to full standalones... Hope this helps
Old 02-19-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (Kataku2K3)

Check this out..
https://honda-tech.com/zero...80369

Even though its a little pointless.. I think that car looks cool with the juice spraying up like that and look at his comments.. Hes probably some moron that has a APC banner in his front windshield and says hes sponsered by APC.. I see ricers like that all the time..

All that has to be done is to phrase the comment a little better like.. Why would someone want to put a battery in the trunk?.. Would have worked out alot better..
Old 02-19-2004, 12:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kataku2K3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Run your alternator line to the main fuse box just as it normally would, there's no need to change anything there... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just said this because its a good idea to jump up the gauge of the power wire going from the alternator distro block since it has a longer path to travel to charge the battery and such.. Its eaiser just to put a ANL fuse in the wire there since the thicker wire would make closing your fuse box harder.. I dont think I explained this one very well..
Old 02-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sometimes you really just need to... Scott (CrazyCompression) and I just finished up the rest of Will's Rex... On his car we needed too because there is just no way to cleanly route the IC piping around a battery and also because it just looks a lot better... Here's pic from the show this last weekend...

Old 02-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

between the charge piping and the filter on the turbo... the battery can no longer fit.

and once you see all the extra room with it out, you are glad you did.

to the turd who said ricer style.... your a pole smoker.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (twkdCD595)

I'm going to do it becaue I need more space since my firewall is packed.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kataku2K3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wheres the radiator.. I cant see it in the pic.. I also dont see the mounting brackets for it.. Cant wait until I put my built B18C5 in my rex..

Also is this your car.. If it is how does the jg intake fair out with the boost.. I have heard it makes its power up higher but I never heard from someone with boost and it..
Old 02-19-2004, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran my 0-gauge power wire down the pas side, no problems, well except for the buldge in the carpet
Old 02-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery Relocation: Power wire gonna screw with my EMS? (Blackack26)

Trying to not go too far off the original subject. Yea you're right, there is no radiator as we pulled it out before the show... We actually tried both a OE single core and a C&R but with the F-R manifold it's a tight fit and just won't look clean so we're having one custom made... This actually isn't my car, it's Will's (customer/friend) so he sort of just goes by what Scott and I say to do... As for the manifold, we run them on all of our FI motors and they work just fine... Duc's B18C/EJ6 made 700whp+ running it (If you haven't seen all my vids click on my name, then go down to my bio... I have several loaded up) and there are many others out there running it too... Peace
Old 02-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, thanks for all the great information guys! I'm going to pick up the Moroso battery box and just piece together the wiring components rather than buy a wiring kit. This thread was really informative

Because we have a lot of components and need more room to fit them in the engine bay, it just proves that you are a ricer if your first thought was that it was for show... go back to the appearance and cosmetic forum, tool.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry guys...haven't seen this thread yet...WHAT AN IDIOT!