Notices

Bar & Plate or Tube & Fin....Which is the better intercooler?

Old 08-12-2002, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bar & Plate or Tube & Fin....Which is the better intercooler?

I did a search on this topic but nothing came up. I originally ordered a Spearco intercooler (Bar and Plate) but it still hasn't shown up (Over 2 months) and I am getting fed up with dealing on Turbonetics/Spearco anything. They take too damn long and are a bunch of ******.

Anyway, I found someone that sells PWR intercoolers (Tube and Fin). They are made in Australia and are suppose to be REALLY high quality. Here is a quote from the guy I am talking too.
"One, it is a lighter unit. Two, they have less pressure drop. And three, it does a much better job at changing temps real quick as in if your cruising and hit the gas, it will get the air colder quicker then a spearco bar and plate style"

I have heard that the bar and plate is the only way to go. Just wanting some opinions on what I should do. Should I wait for the Spearco or go with the PWR?

By the way, this is going on a built SOHC running about 15lbs on the street.

Thanks for the information.

Old 08-12-2002, 03:14 PM
New User

Default Re: Bar & Plate or Tube & Fin....Which is the better intercooler? (ladysman)

I'm sure this probly wont help much but I have a tube and fin (max-rev intercooler) and I love it. I ran my car hard for a few minutes pulled over and felt temps on the intercooler...on the drivers side going into the intercooler it was warm, not hot just warm. Then half way across the intercooler, it was cool to the touch, no even the slightest bit of warmth.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:19 PM
New User

Default Re: Bar & Plate or Tube & Fin....Which is the better intercooler? (ladysman)

Is the PWR that you are talking about the same one Mike (ninesecrx) just had a group buy on? I'm debating between using that one and a spearco that I have. The spearco is slightly bigger (probably close to 20% bigger) and mounts on my car nicely. If the PWR is that much better I'll probably use it.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bar & Plate or Tube & Fin....Which is the better intercooler? (Brian_92GSR)

Is the PWR that you are talking about the same one Mike (ninesecrx) just had a group buy on? I'm debating between using that one and a spearco that I have. The spearco is slightly bigger (probably close to 20% bigger) and mounts on my car nicely. If the PWR is that much better I'll probably use it.
Yes it is. Same guy.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tube & fin is better. heat transer properties are superior with a smaller pressure drop and maintain higher velocities with no added heat.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Bar & Plate or Tube & Fin....Which is the better intercooler? (FFgeoff)

tube & fin is better. heat transer properties are superior with a smaller pressure drop and maintain higher velocities with no added heat.
i 2nd that
Old 08-13-2002, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Bar & Plate or Tube & Fin....Which is the better intercooler? (javierb14)

I saw pics of those PWR intercoolers. They are a super nice peice. The welds are one of the nicest ive seen and the core looks of great quality and the endtanks look of great design with supurb flow. Just my 2cents. Oh and yeah, I 3rd the tube and fin design.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Bar & Plate or Tube & Fin....Which is the better intercooler? (top notch)

they are bout the same
HKS GTR uses their HKS GT Bar&Plate intercooler and the car runs 7.5s with over 1300hp
where Top Secret GTRs use Turbe&Fin intercooler and still produces over 1000hp