Notices

Ball Bearing Rebuild or Other Cause?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Bearing Rebuild or Other Cause?

I'm sure this has been covered but my eye's are glazed over from searching all night for countless topics. Anyways, my GT35R is due for a rebuild or so I suspect. I pulled the d/p off as well as the i/c piping and found oil to be comeing out of both sides. A substantial amount too, it was pooling in the bends of the i/c pipe.

I recieved the car like this and was told the turbo was 3 months old and come to find this. I checked for shaft play and sure enough in and out with slight up and down, the turbo is done. But what would cause this on what was said to be a "newer" turbo?

The drain line is fine, since I thought maayyybe it would be something easy, but with my luck it never is. Now I'm stuck between buying a new turbo or getting this one rebuilt. I've read that bb turbo's are more $$ to rebuild since they take new center sections and can't be rebuilt like a journal bearing turbo can.

Anyone have reccomendations for a rebuilder? Should I just go through precision/garette? I know I'm kind of all over the place on this post but any and all input would be great.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it really is 3 months old I would try to get some proof of purchase and have it sent back for a diag.
That turbo should not be spewing pools of oil if it really is coming from the turbo.

CHRA is little over 1k so its probably not worth rebuilding....IMO.
Send it out to have a garrett dealer inspect it before further damage occurs.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mighty137)

I'm not driving the car with it like this and I know it's from the turbo because I can see it comeing out of almost every port on the turbo.