Notices

balancing the bottom end on a 500whp d16z6

Old 06-21-2006, 07:42 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default balancing the bottom end on a 500whp d16z6

Can anyone link articals, and post info on how to balance the bottom end, whats envoled, etc. I gotta mill my rods a little to fit my pistons(eagle rods, weisco pistons)

now to balance the crank i need to have the clutch, flywheel i'll be using, rods/pistons static balanced, and the crank pully.. then balance everything and blueprint ?

i won't be doing this of course, but i want the most information about this..
Old 06-21-2006, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.theoldone.com

also if you email them for information they can assist you I'm sure.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:58 AM
my house has wheels on it

A few things you should know...

1) Only balance the rotating assy: crank rods, pistons.

2) If you add things such as the flywheel, clutch, crank pulley, your balance won't be balanced alfter some time. Things such as clutch wear, flywheel surfacing, or changing of these parts will affect you balance. It is not a good idea.

3) There really is no need to add the crank pulley to the mix. if you absolutely think you must then invest in a quality harmonic balancer such as Fluidamper, Ati, ect ect.

edit:

the process for balencing a bottom end is quite a lengthy process, you work your way from the oustide in. Firts the piston assembly. you will weigh each individually in grams. then find the lighest weight, and then bring each piston to the desired weight by using a drill bit to remove material from under the dome of the piston. all wiseco, je, and cp i have dealt with are identical weight from the box, but i like to take a sanding pad and remove all the shap edges from the piston dome(or dish on my case) andy sharp edge can cause a heat spot and detonation.

rods: again all rods i have dealt with are identical weight from the factory, but in your case since you have to clearence them they will need balanced. also for the clearenceing you will need to put the rod in a soft jaw vice, then use a die grinder with a sanding drum to remove material from the sides of the rod. only sand in one direction, usually start at the big end and go towards the pin end. never back and forth, follwing the grain of the metal.

after that is done the machinist will weigh the rod/piston assembly and attach bob weights to the crank and spin it at a set speed in a balancing machine. that works similar to a tire machine and will show where material needs to be removed or added and how much.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:17 AM

Every time i've had a motor balanced they wanted EVERYTHING from the crank pulley to the pressure plate in order to ensure the entire thing is proeprly balanced.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:30 PM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: (oscarmayer)

and can anyone explain balancing ends, not just total weight