Notices

bad? turbo sitting too close to engine or too close to radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bad? turbo sitting too close to engine or too close to radiator?

Is it a bad thing if the turbo is sitting too close to the engine about maybe 1/2 inch away or is it worse for it to be too close to the radiator? I don't want to over heat, but I don't want to overheat a portion of the cylinders either.

If I don't use any sort of adapter, I can get away with using my garret T03 on my HF manifold in two ways, with it being really close to the radiator (1/4inch away) to being too close to the engine (1/2inch away).

If I sit it close to the engine (which is what I like better, more room to do so) it just about touches the engine on the intake side and is 1/2inch's away on exh. On The other way is when I turn it around and then it is so close to the radiator, it touches or is about to touch.

Any suggestions welcome. TIA
Old 06-05-2002, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bad? turbo sitting too close to engine or too close to radiator? (technine)

ttt
Old 06-05-2002, 03:13 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: bad? turbo sitting too close to engine or too close to radiator? (technine)

closer to motor. water jackets in between the block exterior and the cylinders will prevent any sort of damage.

some people experience overheating from turboing in general, but thats a radiatior issue.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bad? turbo sitting too close to engine or too close to radiator? (falconGSR)

thanks, I found another solution which solves both. Sit it closer to the engine (which I like) layer it with multiple exhaust gaskets. Like maybe 5-10 gaskets should give it enough room and help seal everything while being in the middle away from the motor, but far from the radiator. This stuff is fun.

Thanks for the reply, but do you think the water will get heated more because the turbo is so close to the water jacket? Don't want to start seeing coolant dissapear or rising engine temps. Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umm, if you put that many gaskets on, how are you going to connect the manifold to the head?

close to the engine and radiator do not matter.. so don't worry about it.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bad? turbo sitting too close to engine or too close to radiator? (dustin)

well, I am gonna leave enough thread spacing to the ends so it still will bolt on, just need another 1/2 inch or so to make it fit right.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But turbo manifolds barely have enough room on the studs/bolts to fit with only one gasket... also, I don't think having a ton of gaskets will secure the manifold/turbo assembly to the head very well......
Old 06-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bad? turbo sitting too close to engine or too close to radiator? (dustin)

I'm using an HF manifold right now so I have a lot of room on the threads. Maybe just sandwich like 3 or 4 to get the clearance needed. I don't see why it shouldn't support it, but the HF manifold has some brackets to secure it to the block, along with some washers, should have enough support.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the turbo sits too close to the radiator...the motor that torques back an forth will cause the turbo to inevitably hit the radiator or fans and rupture the radiator. That happened to me and I fixed it...twice...there will not be a third time.

Also I replaced the radiator with a larger brass unit and in less than a year the inside upper tank has started to warp, undoubtedly from the heat from the turbo.

My opinion is put it closer to the engine.