Notices

is it bad to hot tank a sleeved block???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default is it bad to hot tank a sleeved block???

ive been hearing mixed reports about hot tanking a sleeved block. i know mine(aebs sleeved ls block) was hot tanked after being bored, and im kinda curious toward this. what would be some negative effects??? id hate to have my 1000+dollar investment compromised due to a 60 dollar hot tank
Old 04-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: is it bad to hot tank a sleeved block??? (blackeg)

bump for info.....Im in the same boat

what are other options to get the shavings out after bore/hone???
Old 04-23-2006, 06:15 PM
B A N N E D

ask the sleeve installer what they say. Golden Eagle say with the instruction/warranty included not to hot tank their sleeves
Old 04-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Moto-C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Moto-C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ask the sleeve installer what they say. Golden Eagle say with the instruction/warranty included not to hot tank their sleeves</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oops.....well I had my GE hot tanked not too long ago after a refresher......guess I will find out if there are any negatives
Old 04-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

when you put the sleeves in don't you have to deck the block and then hot tank it?
Old 04-23-2006, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (LilCivic04)

Sometimes hot tanking will un seat the sleeves and allow them to raise up a few thou. If you were to surface the block in that condition, the sleeves would then re seat themselves in a dropped position.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sometimes hot tanking will un seat the sleeves and allow them to raise up a few thou. If you were to surface the block in that condition, the sleeves would then re seat themselves in a dropped position.</TD></TR></TABLE>

makes good sense. when assembling my bottom end the sleeve surface was a lil above the block deck surface. i had my head off about 3k miles after building the motor and everything was flush again. i have some slight coolant mixing issues which is why i asked this question
Old 04-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (blackeg)

you may need to tap the sleeves and resurface the block, not sure
Old 04-24-2006, 11:25 AM

I actually dipped my head into a bucket of drain cleaner (industrial strength) and It removed everything. Just let it sit over night, I did the same with my block. I am going to take pictures tomorrow and show everyone how it came out, so far the block looks really great!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:06 AM

Default Re: (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sometimes hot tanking will un seat the sleeves and allow them to raise up a few thou. If you were to surface the block in that condition, the sleeves would then re seat themselves in a dropped position.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what I was thinking.. Since the expansion rate of alumnium and ductile iron are different..
Old 04-25-2006, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tgreaves)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is what I was thinking.. Since the expansion rate of alumnium and ductile iron are different..</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea my sleeves were definately up a few thousandths when i got the block back, but as i said after having the head on there for a few thousand miles, the sleeve and block deck surface are both level wiht no evidence of sleeve sinking or anything.

here is my concern, im loosing coolant, it can see a lil of it in my oil when i change it, but it definately can be seen on my breather filter (catchcan doesnt have much coolant in it).

now this head was on my last motor when i blew my #3 sleeve to pieces. im thinking that i punctured a coolant passage in the head somewhere and its either dropping into my cyls a lil bit, or it is mixing with an oil passage in my head. the problem was worse but i changed headgaskets and it seems to have slowed down a lot, but not totally stopped. my machinist said that he didnt see any damage to the head when he was machining it after the motor blew.