Notices

BackroadCR-V's High Mileage B18C1 + Boost Progress Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: BackroadCR-V's High Mileage B18C1 + Boost Progress Build Thread

Originally Posted by backroadCR-V
Oh I agree and I'm not trying too. I tried big HP with my DSM's that being a little more practical with the AWD advantage. I'm not interested in trying to squeeze out big hp with a FWD platform. My turbo kit was spec'd for around 400hp and that's where this car will stay for awhile. I'm not interested in slicks or any of that. I just wanna have a good time with a fun car
It sounds absolutely fantastic.

It reminds me of these days.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
You're late a few years if your wanting to get into HP wars with the V8 crowd. Its a rule of diminishing returns these days. I would stick with < 400whp.
Yep. These newer generations of GM and Ford V8's are just nasty, flat out. On one hand it's really cool, and on the other hand it breaks my heart seeing some 5L V8's rev out to the same RPM as an AP2 S2000. I used to naively believe that a lightweight 4cyl platform could always compete with larger V8 platforms, but it's just not realistic or really logical to build a 4cyl for high HP unless it's just a niche you want to play to; It's never been what our platforms have excelled at either, especially considering FWD.

^^Shodan, that video is great. Love the combination of that turbo and the high compression... Getting real impatient to get the funds together and do my 11:1 gen 2 2860 build, I've spent the last year working more on my friend's project cars than my own lol.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I wouldn't say 4cyl can't compete with a v8 platform, it really depends on how fast you are trying to go. If you are planning on running 7.99 and faster RWD is going to be the way to go but again I wouldn't count out the 4cyl. Carey Bales just put down a 6.9 pass in his s2000 and ran like a 4.5 1/8th. If you watch Street Outlaws when Big Chief raced Gas Monkey Richard Rawlings team, Big Chiefs twin turbo 3000 plus horsepower drag car ran the 1/8th in 4.39 I think and we all know that car is badass.

You also see all these little Datsun's now a days running 6 second quarter mile times as well. I mean you go out to a Friday Night Drag and run 10's you are beating probably 80% of cars out there. Also with today's parts and technology you can build a 10 second street Honda with AC and cruise the heck out of it.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
You also see all these little Datsun's now a days running 6 second quarter mile times as well. I mean you go out to a Friday Night Drag and run 10's you are beating probably 80% of cars out there. Also with today's parts and technology you can build a 10.7-10.99 second street Honda with AC (that will eventually crash) and cruise the heck out of it.
Had to drop a realistic bomb there for ya. I'm not trying to sabotage your point, just make it more realistic for the masses that take your statement literally.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If AC is not important and you live in a nice climate you can go faster than that pretty easy, full interior and maintaining good drivability.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If AC is not important and you live in a nice climate you can go faster than that pretty easy, full interior and maintaining good drivability.
The street and track are totally different.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The street and track are totally different.
What do you mean, like racing on the street? I'm talking about being able to build a car that car run 10's at the track but still be able to drive around on the street. Not much to a build like that at all, been there done that.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:53 PM

What do you mean, like racing on the street? I'm talking about being able to build a car that car run 10.7-10.99 second at the track but still be able to drive around on the street. Not much to a build like that at all, been there done that.
Yes, I'm being that ******' picky right now. I hate generic terms like "10s" and "9s", when that's not what it really means to those that are experienced.. It gives idiots a false sense of hope when they have no intention of investing enough to really do it.

Last edited by TheShodan; 09-07-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What makes me sick is that you can by 600 700 800hp car from a dealer now. In the late 2000's I had a blast with my 500awhp DSM. Even 4-5yeara ago when you could buy a 650hp mustang cobra I had a 700whp Mitsubishi GSX that was a force to be roconed with too. I loved the days when you had to build it to own something like that.

these mustangs and camaros are bad ***, but I'll tell you what guys... my simple turbo build will walk them on the highway as-is right now. Don't matter if they have long tube headers or what I'm pulling on them. Best part is I'm not finished yet! I'm at 14psi now, juuuuust barely getting into this turbos sweet spot. I've been suprized at every level with this build and the way things have gone I could see this turbo putting out 430whp or more!

It's not just about power. Light weight is the main reason I wanted to try a Honda even though it was FWD. these 3900-4400lb muscle cars need a lot more power than me to move their boats.

This little build of mine with this turbo is loads of fun and I can tell you that nobody that knows about my car takes it lightly. My biggest problem now is traction. This Nitto Neo Gens are done without a LSD. I need a LSD in the worst way right now. 1st-2nd is useless
Old 09-07-2017, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you mean, like racing on the street? I'm talking about being able to build a car that car run 10's at the track but still be able to drive around on the street. Not much to a build like that at all, been there done that.
Well in his instance, playing around on the highway. I understand what you are saying, and that is true. But actually making the same car hook on the street and be able to beat the RWD V8s is a challenge. Especially when you jump into the 500+ range and they all like to play around from low speeds because they know the hondas wont hook.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not just about power. Light weight is the main reason I wanted to try a Honda even though it was FWD. these 3900-4400lb muscle cars need a lot more power than me to move their boats.

This little build of mine with this turbo is loads of fun and I can tell you that nobody that knows about my car takes it lightly. My biggest problem now is traction. This Nitto Neo Gens are done without a LSD. I need a LSD in the worst way right now. 1st-2nd is useless
This is true to an extent. You are starting to see the limitations of the platform now. You'll get the itch to go for more to beat the faster guys like the vettes and H/C stalled auto cars and they'll start playing around from lower rolls. If your goal is a reliable fun car, like I said, sub 400whp (mayyybe 450 if you had a built block) is about where Id stop.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I've been saying I wanted to dyno again since I was on e85 (technically e50) and 14psi.

I've known the power increase has been substantial since the e50+14psi has been blowing off 2nd gear so bad. I called in today and they had a spot open right then so I drove down and got on.

e50 fuel, 19' timing, @ 14.3psi (dont forget the ITR Cams)

😳
Old 09-07-2017, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

393whp and still climbing!
if you ever had any doubt about this manifold and this turbo then stop it. At just over 14psi that's just incredible

I just went for baseline runs this time no dyno tuning. Those were the last two dyno runs. Here's a print out that shows the torque curve a little better. Vtec engages at 5200 and look at it go!

Sorry bad copy and wish the hp/tq were on the same scale but atleast you get to see the curves.

Keep in mind last time weather was about 84' and raining so crap wet air. This time was about 80' degrees with nice dry air (felt substantially cooler outside). I also brought my own blower fans for the dyno runs (they had a fan last time that wasn't setup great for air/air intercooler since they're use to v8 hotrods) the cooler dry weather plus my blowers resulted in about a 20' drop in IAT's

to be honest this is a little more than expected. I was thinking more around 375hp 265tq. The 280tq makes me slightly nervous but just slightly. The car runs absolutely amazing without a single count of knock (which is a MUST with stock internals at this power level). For sure now Ill be lowering boost this winter when it gets cold. Don't want to go any higher than this. Will keep running it at this power level, keeping a close eye on everything. Will do another compreasion check soon here soon and see how she holds up.

Last edited by backroadCR-V; 09-07-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is true to an extent. You are starting to see the limitations of the platform now. You'll get the itch to go for more to beat the faster guys like the vettes and H/C stalled auto cars and they'll start playing around from lower rolls. If your goal is a reliable fun car, like I said, sub 400whp (mayyybe 450 if you had a built block) is about where Id stop.
thats pretty much it. I can get rolls on the highway but they all want to digg since it gives them the advantage. This car was NEVER EVER built or intended to be a Digg car. It's always been aimed at having an all around fun car. Since ppl like to do dig races around here I play along even at a disadvantage and it doesn't bother me because I'm don't have a "king of the hill" complex. There's always gonna be a bigger fish. I'm gonna need a lsd no matter what and a traction bar (I have slight wheel hop I want to get rid of). With some sticky r888's and about 450whp once the motor is built... gonna be a lot of fun. Will be nice to see what this turbo setup is really capable of once motor is built
Old 09-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats pretty much it. I can get rolls on the highway but they all want to digg since it gives them the advantage. This car was NEVER EVER built or intended to be a Digg car. It's always been aimed at having an all around fun car. Since ppl like to do dig races around here I play along even at a disadvantage and it doesn't bother me because I'm don't have a "king of the hill" complex. There's always gonna be a bigger fish. I'm gonna need a lsd no matter what and a traction bar (I have slight wheel hop I want to get rid of). With some sticky r888's and about 450whp once the motor is built... gonna be a lot of fun. Will be nice to see what this turbo setup is really capable of once motor is built
LSD + Traction Bar will make a world of difference. I can't remember if you already are, but if you're not doing boost by gear you should implement that as well.

Those are FANTASTIC dyno results! This build has turned out so well!
Old 09-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome numbers. What kind of wideband are you using if you dont mind?
Old 09-09-2017, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome numbers. What kind of wideband are you using if you dont mind?
thx. I'm using the PLX with touchscreen gauge. From reading around the PLX works good with Hondata so that's what I've got and it's working good. I think I had to offset voltage like -.06 to get the gauge abs Hondata to sync which isn't bad at all
Old 09-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work man! I remember way back in the day Myles from english racing had a high mileage stock gsr engine in his integra that seemed to last forever in the 440whp range. Literally had hundreds and hundreds of 1/4" mile passes on it, until iirc he let a girl drive it that did a 2-3-2 shift and ended its life lol.

The only thing that makes me nervous about your car is the stock headstuds and higher torque so early with the stock rods, but you do have it tuned properly witch as we all know is by far the most important. You should setup bbg already, I've mentioned it like 3 times now haha. Also curious what do you have your wideband ground wire connected to?
Old 09-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the 280tq is pushing it. I'll continue to keep a close eye on it with regular inspections and see how it holds

About that BBG.... I made 2 mistakes with this build. #1 I never thought I'd be driving out of town to fill up cans of e85. Wish I would have bought bigger injectors now that I'm tuning ethanol. #2 i wanted to keep the build "simple" and didn't think I needed boost by gear... so stupidly I told my ECU guy that I didn't want to pay extra for the BBG componants. I've already talked to my guy and he's gonna install the BBG parts and upgrade the resisters too.

ive got my wideband ground to the chassis near the ecu. I also ended up having to pull out those little r136 & r138 resisters in the Ecu. At 1st it worked fine with them still in, and later started to get interference at high RPM. I took out those two little resistors and it's working flawless ever since
Old 09-09-2017, 05:42 PM

Yeah the 280tq is pushing it. I'll continue to keep a close eye on it with regular inspections and see how it holds
You're perfectly fine. I was at over 279lbs-ft for over 8 years on a stock engine with no wideband.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You're perfectly fine. I was at over 279lbs-ft for over 8 years on a stock engine with no wideband.
And I had mine well over 300 ft-lbs on my stock LS for years as a daily driver.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

About that BBG.... I made 2 mistakes with this build. #1 I never thought I'd be driving out of town to fill up cans of e85.
Yep, that's why I've never used E85. It's just not a fuel you frequently encounter in the south, surprisingly even in Austin. I'm going to be doing water injection for my personal build, I figure that should still help substantially with IAT and timing events and will be incredibly simple to fill up anytime if I need to, just go inside any gas station and buy a water jug if I need it during a 93 oct fillup.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
And I had mine well over 300 ft-lbs on my stock LS for years as a daily driver.
thats nice to hear guys thx
Old 09-11-2017, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Yep, that's why I've never used E85. It's just not a fuel you frequently encounter in the south, surprisingly even in Austin. I'm going to be doing water injection for my personal build, I figure that should still help substantially with IAT and timing events and will be incredibly simple to fill up anytime if I need to, just go inside any gas station and buy a water jug if I need it during a 93 oct fillup.
or go into any Walmart and buy Meth. That's where I use to buy my supply in the past. It's sold as "Heet"
Old 09-11-2017, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sending my Ecu off today to get the Boost by Gear components installed. I should have it all hooked up by the end of the week.

ill be real honest here guys... this no traction thing is starting to depress me a bit. I'll do BBG and get a traction bar to see what that does. Maybe try the r888r's too. Wont be able to afford a LSD install for couple months still. If I can atleast hook 2nd pretty hard that'll make me happy. The car is totally great in EVERY way just not down low

i did ride in a mFactory lsd car a few weeks ago. Had similar power to mine and I was damn impressed by how much torque it put to the ground.

if/when it comes time to get a LSD... should I consider a complete ITR trans? Or just LSD my gsr trans? I kinda think the itr trans final drive maybe too high, but sure would be a easy swap into the car

Quick Reply: BackroadCR-V's High Mileage B18C1 + Boost Progress Build Thread