Notices

BackroadCR-V's High Mileage B18C1 + Boost Progress Build Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: BackroadCR-V's High Mileage B18C1 + Boost Progress Build Thread

Originally Posted by th3pwn3r
Awesome, I'm glad everything went pretty smoothly and you're enjoying the car. Planning on keeping it forever? In interested in how long the stock engine will hold up considering how many miles are already on it :D
thx I'm going to keep it. I really don't have any plans in replacing the stock motor until it dies. Even if I had a built motor I wouldn't go over 400whp, as I want to keep a small enough turbo that'll keep excellent response and part throttle boost. Maybe If Its still running in a couple years and I get bored, I'll just turn up the boost on this stock motor and see what happens. For now and into the foreseeable future I'm just gonna see how it holds up and enjoy it.

Keep in mind though this is just a fun fair weather weekend toy. It won't see many miles per year compared to a daily, but I do hammer it every time I take it out. So we'll see. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

Im hoping to get some dyno time this month sometime. Looking forward to that. We'll see what shes making and that'll help me decide what will come next, or not.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Makes me miss my old stock turbo setup !
Old 07-03-2017, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by backroadCR-V
I hope anyone who's reading this will take my word on this.... ***Do NOT under estimate the performance of a cast turbo manifold. Unless you're trying for crazy HP numbers, you need to consider a cast manifold.

... I'm telling you its a mini rocket. This little car moves out! The car has been COMPLETLY transformed. It's beyond saying "night & day difference". The turbo is so responsive and street friendly. Spools so easy around town at part throttle. And at WOT it pulls ALLLL the way to redline...

Needless to say I'm absolutely happy with it.
That's what it's all about. The reliable, usable, enjoyable part of the curve in a street car. The right parts combination will do it while keeping it fairly "simple".It's all in the combination as a whole.

The car looks great!

Edit: Not a billet torque mount fan either. I've always done a mount upgrade and ditched the torque mounts (as they are typically destroyed when a car shows up here anyway)
Old 07-04-2017, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Integra looks sweet, love the build to.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thx ppl I appreciate the comps

ive been rockin the high milage turbo Teg pretty much everyday now. I'm a lot more excited about driving it these days lol. Everything is holding up really well with ZERO problems. The Idle, cruise, and WOT tune has been spot on and holding great. I'm still constantly making fine adjustments to the part-throttle tune. I data log every time I take it out... little by little it's nearing perfection.

Took it on a small road trip to see family over the 4th. About 140miles both ways. Mountain roads... lots of fun with this GTX2867R! Family ride-a-longs once i got there too, so the car was well used. Took it all like a champ.

Still ZERO smoke or any type of funny stuff. For what it is... the car pulls awesome. It pulls hard enough that every time I pull back into the garage after a ride (and trust me I rip on it hard every time), i think to myself "damn could this thing really hold up like this?". It just pulls so hard up top. But the tune is solid as hell, and there really are no signs of problems or fatigue of any type. So I think the answer is "yes"😊. Only time will tell

Old 07-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and I also got a couple highway pulls against a couple different cars last weekend. There was a local car meetup in my town and unneeded to test my new ride out....

1st up was a modded Mazda Speed3 with GT3076r @ 24psi. The guy was claiming 375whp. I have a full interior in my GSR, and also had a passenger. We did 3 highway pulls from 40-130ish. One race we had it was a perfect neck and neck race all the way into 5th; it was a epic run. The others we had he'd hit the rev limiter or miss a shift and I was gone; no chance in him catching me.

2nd was a 2015 Camaro SS (automatic) with full bolt ons, plus it was cammed and tuned. He claimed 460whp. This time I had no passenger. With him best I could do was hold him off; I had to brake boost him though lol. I could hold him off till the end of 3rd. He could not pull on me until I shifted into 4th and then he'd start to pull on me every time. He had 2 cars on me by end of 4th so I never even tried 5th. The car was 4000lbs but he was gonna over power me at high speeds no matter the weight difference.

looking forward to taking it to the dyno, and drag strip to see what it MPH'ers
Old 07-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So been working on a nice place for the air filter. Got the beginnings of a airbox on the making.

Just in time too. It was about 97' today and humid as hell. Thank goodness I don't have a big tubular manifold radiating heat, or a half-radiator setup. Having either of those would not have worked today, and both together would have been bad. Sitting in traffic coolant temps would hit 201-202 and just sit there with fans on. With AC on it got to 205 once. After moving temps would come down to 192-196ish. Thankfully it didn't get any hotter but I still didn't like it. Rad upgrade would be needed if weather got any hotter around here

Last edited by backroadCR-V; 07-09-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks really good dude, nice work!
Old 07-09-2017, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finished the Cold Air Box
I'm digg'n it; gonna be very functional plus it gives a nice finished look to the rest of the kit.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That looks really solid. Throw a velocity stack on there to finish it !
Old 07-10-2017, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like it
Old 07-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
That looks really solid. Throw a velocity stack on there to finish it !
hah if you look at the pics without the lid on, that big vent into the fender is a 3" velocity stack, with a 6"'cone sticking out into the fender well 👍🏼
Old 07-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i love that air box. nicely done man.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

freaking awesome air box. love seeing custom fab work!!!
Old 07-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I just went through this whole thread and it was awesome! Makes me miss my old boosted Ls back in 2009-2010. I still have 94 Ls, which marks the 10th year I have had it, but it has gone through many phases and currently has a b16b. I have been eye balling the Go-autoworks kits for about 2 years now, but have been dumping money into building my 97R. It is awesome seeing this exact kit with AC and PS kept, and seeing the estimated power levels you are making on a stock block. Since keeping an eye out on the Go-autoworks products caused pipe dreams of boosting the 94 again, but was reserved since it is my daily and still wanted to retain AC. Its nice to see the fitment and feedback of how operational the AC still is. Your build is just super great to see as a very similar build I would like to have someday.

Your car for 230k looks amazing. My 94 probably has over 250k on the chassis but didn't even look nearly as good as your when I first got it with 178k and all original. Keep up with the updates, looking forward to see what actual numbers you put down. I will be sure to check back in here in the near future.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That air box is FANTASTIC! Great work!
Old 07-18-2017, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's everybody I appreciate the feedback. It's all about the attention to detail

im happy to report that airbox is giving me 10-15 degree cooler intake air temps. The temp being read from the intake manifold, after the intercooler so that's the end-result of the fresher air. I'll take it!

man I've been playing around making small changes with the tune every single time I drive it. Mostly part-throttle changes, but part throttle is what this street kit is all about. The power under the curve in this kit is SOOOO much fun.

Im gonna dyno soon.
i was actually gonna do it this week but work got busy. Ive been real happy with my street tune (I'm constantly ministering it) and was only gonna do a baseline dyno session. But since I'm gonna be on the dyno anyways... I've decided to leave no stone unturned... Im going to rent out a dyno to play with the timing. Find out exactly where it likes to be. Really dial it in... tuning each low and high cam separately. Looking forward to that 👍🏼
Old 07-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm @ 12psi now.
Been fighting with what every boosted person has to fight with.... the Boost Bug. Battling with the idea of "just a little more" and now I'm at my comfortable limit; 12psi. Air fuel is at a solid 12:1 across the board, and I'm running a modest 15* timing. Motor runs smooth as hell, with no hesitation or surging. Pulls hard aaaaaalll the way to 8000RPM.

Part throttle driving is phenomenal as always, but now at WOT 2nd gear is mostly useless. The good part is that's this little turbo is so responsive I can throttle it to help traction.

I Ordered a traction bar, and 4 Nitto Neo gens (because all my tires are old and wore out) and will be ordering a couple Toyo888s as well.

Also I hope that I can get on a dyno this week.
My tune is so close I don't think I'll need to do anything, except I'm curious about where my car likes its timing. I haven't seen any hint of knock at 15* timing with 12psi, but We'll have to see what the torque number does on the dyno when I raise/lower it. Whatever it likes on the dyno, im prepared to lower it a couple degrees lower, in order to have a safer tune vs Max'd out power. The way it feels and from all the dynos ive searched through from ppl who have near identical setups as mine (cast manifold, gt28, itr cams) it's gotta be around 350whp now.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interested to see how it does on the dyno!
Old 07-23-2017, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by backroadCR-V
I'm @ 12psi now.
Been fighting with what every boosted person has to fight with.... the Boost Bug. Battling with the idea of "just a little more" and now I'm at my comfortable limit; 12psi. Air fuel is at a solid 12:1 across the board, and I'm running a modest 15* timing. Motor runs smooth as hell, with no hesitation or surging. Pulls hard aaaaaalll the way to 8000RPM.

Part throttle driving is phenomenal as always, but now at WOT 2nd gear is mostly useless. The good part is that's this little turbo is so responsive I can throttle it to help traction.

I Ordered a traction bar, and 4 Nitto Neo gens (because all my tires are old and wore out) and will be ordering a couple Toyo888s as well.

Also I hope that I can get on a dyno this week.
My tune is so close I don't think I'll need to do anything, except I'm curious about where my car likes its timing. I haven't seen any hint of knock at 15* timing with 12psi, but We'll have to see what the torque number does on the dyno when I raise/lower it. Whatever it likes on the dyno, im prepared to lower it a couple degrees lower, in order to have a safer tune vs Max'd out power. The way it feels and from all the dynos ive searched through from ppl who have near identical setups as mine (cast manifold, gt28, itr cams) it's gotta be around 350whp now.

Nice man. When my gsr was stock I stopped at 12-13psi and about 17* timing uptop on straight 92 octane fuel (~370whp based on trap speed and weight). Mine is the JDM b18c so the compression was a little higher 10.6-1 and I also had ARP headstuds.

The neo gens a good tires for that power level, but the R888s are the best tire I've used for putting power down on the street. I knew it wouldn't take long for you to want more power haha it happens to all of us lol. You could always put a 3 port on there and run bbg to get better traction in the lower gears. Good luck at the dyno! Can't wait to see the results.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great thread and build!! keep it up :D definitely enjoyed reading this
Old 07-27-2017, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So morning dyno sessions were all booked up this week. I wanted a early morning session which will have me on the dyno with low to mid 80' temps, instead of mid 90' temps. I'm scheduled for 8am Tuesday the 1st 👍🏼

With the dyno next week i did the very last thing i could do last night.... I fine tuned the high/low cams seperatly. They had been fairly well tuned already but this time I tuned the low cam up to 6500, and the Vtec cam down to 3800. After that I played with vtec engagement a little.... looking at each cams fuel requirements for 11.8AFR. The moment the Vtec cam started to require more fuel than the low cam (in order to maintain 11.8AFR) was right around 4500-4600rpm. I had been running my Vtec crossover at 5000rpm, and its been working well, but I had been wanting to test it more. When I first began tuning I had tried lower Vtec engamnent with some bogging, but last night I knew both cams were fine tuned. And this time same thing... my car doesn't like the lower Vtec engagement. I set engagment at 4600, and there's still noticeable bogging. I ended up the night with slightly higher engagement than I had been running. With a setting of 5200rpm it's smooth as silk! No bogging or even a hint of hesitation. Butter smooth low/hi cam transition at 5200 and by 5500rpm you can really feel that Vtec cam starting to add power. Keep in mind this is with CTR/ITR cams. By the time 6000rpm comes along, this thing pulls soooo strong!

No matter what number the dyno gives me, I'm happy as all heck. For 12-12.5 psi the car pulls amazing and I really couldn't be happier. Can't wait to see the dyno graph though! So interested to see the power curve on this baby
Old 07-27-2017, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-30-2017, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Snuck in some track time after work yesterday. Weather was moderate for this time of year. 85' with 60% humidity, not great but decent. Actual intake temps would be 115' from launch down to 107' at end. Again not great but for this time of year I'll take it.

i couldn't hook a launch to save my life but I was running 11.2-11.3 @ 99mph with 2.36-2.4 60ft. This is a 1000ft track. I'm satisfied enough considering those 60fts are horrible, and 1st gear would spin forcing me to short shift into 2nd early. Also starting with zero boost, just practically rolling into it with a 3000rpm slip. Getting the 60ft down into the 2.0 mark would put me well into the 10's. Would have liked to see my MPH over 100 @ the 1000ft mark but I'm right there.

Phone video action

heres a picture of my log for that run. Boost between gears literally takes 3-tenths of a second to built 11psi. That's not with NLS either, just banging gears 👍🏼

EDIT: the puff of white smoke you see in the video is unburnt fuel. I'm bouncing off the limiter while spinning 1st, then slamming 2nd. I'm very happy to report this car does not smoke AT ALL. I'm real happy with that

Last edited by backroadCR-V; 07-30-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So after last nights thrashing I decided to check the car over today; make sure all is good for the upcoming dyno session on Tuesday

all checks out except after looking at the spark plugs Im not happy with the color, especially the ground strap.

This picture was taken this morning after some hard driving last night. The drag strip is only about 20mins from home, and I'm cruising right at 14.5-14.9 AFR. I had a handful of WOT moments on my way home too, but I came strait home and this is how the plugs look this morning. Over all they look like they're burning too hot to me. Usually for this power range I'd think 7s were fine, but with this hot southern heat (temps been mid 90's for a few weeks) and me never being in a position where I would be sitting in traffic.... I ordered some bkr8eix that'll be here tomorrow; I'll try those and see what happens

ADVICE on those Plugs? if you see anything that stands out let me know. Again though... they were cruised on. Not just a WOT-pull & removed. But if you see anything that stands out let me know

Dyno day coming soon! I'll see if I can get some video

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BackroadCR-V's High Mileage B18C1 + Boost Progress Build Thread