Notices

Back of Block vs. Valve Cover - Crank Case Ventalation

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back of Block vs. Valve Cover - Crank Case Ventalation

I've searched and searched, but I can't find any opinions on if I should vent my crankcase from the back of the block or the valve cover?

Years back, it seems that people liked the back of the block, and the valve cover is more recent. The back of the block is harder to access, but it's probably a cleaner install and I don't have to find and pay someone to tig it for me. It's kind of a toss-up for me.

This is for a street car so i'd like to keep it easy, simple, and cheap, both is not an option. Any input on how hard those plugs are to access with the IM removed is appreciated.

TIA,
-Alex
Old 12-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Back of Block vs. Valve Cover - Crank Case Ventalation

both locations is prefered or just the VC. if you use just the back of the block you're going to carry more oil with the flumes being emitted, the same is true if you use to small of an -AN line. -12AN is nice get two of them off of the VC.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Keep it simple, and just do the valve cover. Most universal catchcan setups will be fine for the job, and you will have less chance of filling your catchcan with oil. This will not only cost less, but be effective.

I only suggest using the back of the block if you really require a large amount of ventilation. By utilizing the back of the block you will require a larger can as well as a drain back system in place. If you plan on stepping it up and using the back of the block then I would suggest going with a T1 catchcan setup or something similar. I have had both good and bad experience with the Moroso sized catchcans when using it on the back of the block even with a drainback system installed. If I am going to use a catchcan of that size I would simply use it for the valve cover only. Some people use 2 which is ideal, "1 dedicated for the valve cover, the 2nd for the back of the block. BUT if your going to purchase 2 catchcans you might as well get a custom catchcan that will do the entire job for you safely and correctly without having a mess. Some people are lucky to not have much trouble with catchcans filling it up, but it is more common that most people think.

It sounds like option number 1 will suite you just fine, and relieve enough pressure for you. Put 2 good sized fittings in the front of your valve cover -10 or -12 and it will be plenty. You won't need a drainback system installed. BTW Alex, this is Andy from BodyKits NW. Glad to still see you around pal. Happy Holidays to you bro.

Last edited by Andy@AMR; 12-23-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have an ebay catch can that i converted to be used with the valve cover and back of block with a drain back. i just got rid of the pcv black box all together and used a freeze plug for the hole. ran a hose from the valve cover to the catch can and another hose from the nipple on the back of the block to the other nipple on the catch can. got a fitting to go into the bottom of the catch can and ran a hose to 28mm bolt on the back of the block. i got a fitting from a prelude that has a 1/2 hose barb on it. i put a filter inline with the drain back as well just to make sure nothing got down in the oil and cause engine damage. it seems to work pretty well but it's an all motor set up also.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

It sounds like the valve cover is the best single option. I suppose that's good news, other than I need to find someone to tig it (let me know if it doesn't have to be tigged for some reason).

Andy, ironically, I bought my catch can (greddy i think) from you about 5 years ago. I've been just running it off the stock crankcase lines since then. I had a really positive experience with you (I called you with some sort of question), so that's why you're in my sig. Not to mention you always are posting something good and informative. Happy holidays to you too man!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

back in the day people werent making the power we are today. hell with 330whp i just had a little breather filter off of the port on the vc.

when i was making 540 on the b16 i used the endyn setup. when i started pushing the car, it started pushing oil out because the endyn kit couldnt handle the volume.

i was running 2 off of the rear of the vc, and no return, was filling up the can, did a t1 style with 2 -10 drains, not a problem 1.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Cyphear
Thanks for the replies guys.

It sounds like the valve cover is the best single option. I suppose that's good news, other than I need to find someone to tig it (let me know if it doesn't have to be tigged for some reason).

Andy, ironically, I bought my catch can (greddy i think) from you about 5 years ago. I've been just running it off the stock crankcase lines since then. I had a really positive experience with you (I called you with some sort of question), so that's why you're in my sig. Not to mention you always are posting something good and informative. Happy holidays to you too man!
Well thanks for the kind words pal. haha has it been 5 years already!!! Wow time flies, you brought back some memories. I use to import those catchcans from a friend of mine that we dealt with when it came to our bodykits and carbon fiber line. This was also the time that I was experimenting with crankcase ventilation on our hondas, and ran the Endyn kit. I didn't realize you purchased one of them. I thought it was a affordable option, and they were a quality piece for the price. Not to mention my friend stocked quite a few of them. Anyways, feel free to pm me anytime under this screen name if you have any questions. I am always down to help. Just make sure to PM me under this user name since AMR is what I been doing full time for the past 4 years. When you were a customer of mine, I was in the beginning stages of starting AMR since I missed the performance side of things. So now I am getting even more questions these days, but it's part of my job. Again, great seeing you post, and man just by telling me that you got a catchcan from us brough a shitload of good memories back. Thanks again.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedcivicsir
back in the day people werent making the power we are today. hell with 330whp i just had a little breather filter off of the port on the vc.

when i was making 540 on the b16 i used the endyn setup. when i started pushing the car, it started pushing oil out because the endyn kit couldnt handle the volume.

i was running 2 off of the rear of the vc, and no return, was filling up the can, did a t1 style with 2 -10 drains, not a problem 1.

did it fill quickly because the rear of the vc isnt baffled? I run 2 -10's off the front of the vc and use the 2 plugs on the back of the block for a drain back, with a custom catch can.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i recently got my new setup running and had a bit of a problem with the catch can filling up , i was just running 2 lines from the block fittings , decided it didnt look like a great place to vent as its not really baffled inside and one of the returns from the oil from the head to get to the sump ,

anyway i got some fittings put on the front of my rocker cover , couldnt justify putting earls/earoquipt fittings on it as its not high pressure and i am between jobs just now so keeping spending to a min. a local guy i know welded a alu boss on and then drilled and tapped it out and made some stainless 90 degrees fittings that are 5/8th (16mm ish) , then pulled the standard breather out and drill and fitted another 5/8 steel fitting there. friend made a catch tank the size of my battery and i used 2 (44mm) mini moto air filters off ebay on top.

no more filling of the can, seems to vent alot better as the rocker cover is baffled nice at the front and on top for the standard breather. heres how it turned out. there is a tie down on the can like a standard battery would have but fitted it after.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Originally Posted by turbo-crx
did it fill quickly because the rear of the vc isnt baffled? I run 2 -10's off the front of the vc and use the 2 plugs on the back of the block for a drain back, with a custom catch can.

it was more because the drains werent sufficient.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:42 AM

What the hell dont make this complicated. go to www.theoldone.com and endyn sells a full kit that is a great breather system and is set up for oil return as well.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Boostinb20!, I already have the catch can, it's just not hooked up to anything good.

Mike, I'm with you on not paying for pretty SS braided lines on a non-pressurized line.

Andy, yeah, i'm not sure if it's been 5 years, but it's been at least 4. Thanks, i'll definitely let you know if I have any questions. and get a website up so I can tell what AMR does.

Anyone know what kind of shops sell these fittings locally? I know you can get them online, but someone's gotta sell stuff like this. It just needs to be aluminum and -10AN right?

EDIT: Mike, did you tap your valve cover, or did you weld the fittings on?

Last edited by Cyphear; 12-24-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boostinb20!
What the hell dont make this complicated. go to www.theoldone.com and endyn sells a full kit that is a great breather system and is set up for oil return as well.
The Endyn kit pukes when run from the back of the block, I use to have it so I know.

I run 2 -12's off the back of the block and 2 -12's off the back of the Valvecover to a 1 Gallon Resevoir, no puking or anything.......
Old 12-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96 GSR-T
The Endyn kit pukes when run from the back of the block, I use to have it so I know.

I run 2 -12's off the back of the block and 2 -12's off the back of the Valvecover to a 1 Gallon Resevoir, no puking or anything.......
Old 12-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also tried the endyn catch can, but once I turned up the boost and got into the
500+whp range that setup started puking oil all over the place.

Since then I am now running the T1 setup and no more oil puking problems.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly the T1 setup is what alot of ppl use. you can buy it with out the fittings if you want for under 300 I think.

you can buy fittings from summitracing.com compared to earls there all the same. I just checked for a aluminum -16 from summit it was 8$ for theirs and 21 for earls.

I also bought the T1 catch can(new style) which is as clean as can be!
Old 12-25-2008, 05:57 AM
Mr. Badwrench

the endyn kit can be used at low power levels with modest mph. for ex, mine was fine up til high 10's and 125mph. my engine started to get a little more than normal blow by (it was 5 years old) and started passing more than the endyn could handle. it isnt junk, just insufficient at high power/mph levels.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great info...Was also looking into a catch can setup for 500whp looks like its going to be T1 for me
Old 12-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For a street car, use the valve cover for vent so that you can keep the factory black box in the back of the block. I kept my black oil separator box in the back of the block along with a Toyota PCV valve (it stays 100% shut under boost) so that the PCV system still works when the car is cruising or under vacuum. Under boost, the valve cover vents do all the venting.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go careful some of the universal catch can's have really small ports in them.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:52 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
For a street car, use the valve cover for vent so that you can keep the factory black box in the back of the block. I kept my black oil separator box in the back of the block along with a Toyota PCV valve (it stays 100% shut under boost) so that the PCV system still works when the car is cruising or under vacuum. Under boost, the valve cover vents do all the venting.
where is the valve cover getting its fresh air supply from, like, what would typically come from the infamous "slash cut tube"? you know the first connection in this series- intake tube to valve cover, crank case, seperator tank to PCV to intake manifold, CC, cat...on to global warming.

the reason i'm asking is not just for general knowledge as it may apply in this thread, but also because i'm trying to come up with a viable setup for my ms3. the ms3 community is a bit "untried" when it comes to the science behind mods like this, and i'm coming from a rich history of NA vented catch can setups, so you can see my predicament.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't; it's just a vent.

Beyond a certain level of performance, I had to stop using the vents on the back of the block because they would puke oil all over the place. Basically after I went to r-comp tires on a road course the rear vents got sealed off.

I now use the valve cover vent to a slash-cut tube in the exhaust. Under boost it creates a pretty good vacuum so I don't need a bunch of big ports to evacuate my crankcase.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
where is the valve cover getting its fresh air supply from, like, what would typically come from the infamous "slash cut tube"? you know the first connection in this series- intake tube to valve cover, crank case, seperator tank to PCV to intake manifold, CC, cat...on to global warming.

the reason i'm asking is not just for general knowledge as it may apply in this thread, but also because i'm trying to come up with a viable setup for my ms3. the ms3 community is a bit "untried" when it comes to the science behind mods like this, and i'm coming from a rich history of NA vented catch can setups, so you can see my predicament.
The slash tube setup from ENDYN was meant to direct all PCV pressure flow out from their catchcan setup which consists of venting from the two block plugs in the back and a drainback. The slashtube puts pressure into the valvecover instead, providing fresh air/directing the pressure through the catchcan instead, therefore, keeping your engine from combusting those oily fumes. By no means you would use s slash tube if you aren't using a catchcan setup in the back of the block.

For most valve cover vent setups, you can vent these lines in the atmosphere, or to keep it legal, you can have a catch can (sealed) inline of the vent lines and then feed it back into the turbo inlet/intake tube. This is beneficial too because it creates a minor vacuum if you plumb the vent lines back into the turbo intake, but most racers don't like oily fumes getting past their turbo, FMIC, and into the engine.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
what toyota pcv valve are you using and does it fit in the stock location?
Old 12-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

will be something like that good? i don't want to do nothing with my valve cover

Quick Reply: Back of Block vs. Valve Cover - Crank Case Ventalation