Notices

B20Z Block issue (searched but nada!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B20Z Block issue (searched but nada!!!)

I just acquired a b20z block and ive got some internal parts that i wanted to load it up with piston, rods, bearings etc. but i got a little issue. I want to run boost but three of the head bolts in the block are stripped. Would the block still be able to be used if i get head studs and i take it to the machine shop to get it repaired for the three bolt that were stripped. Im currently running a sohc boosted but i would like to step up with a b-series....any help would be greatfull
Old 01-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B20Z Block issue (searched but nada!!!)

yeah you need to get the threads repaired. my golden eagle sleeved b18 came from them with 3 stripped head stud holes so i got them time-serted and havent had a problem since. you should try to find a machine shop that does time serts they are way better than heli-coils. they make a specific time sert honda head stud repair kit but the Cadillac northstar kit works too and will probably be easier to find a shop that has the Cadillac kit.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does ur b20z have a stock head or vtec head?
Old 01-11-2010, 02:58 AM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by hondapowerb16a2
yeah you need to get the threads repaired. my golden eagle sleeved b18 came from them with 3 stripped head stud holes so i got them time-serted and havent had a problem since. you should try to find a machine shop that does time serts they are way better than heli-coils. they make a specific time sert honda head stud repair kit but the Cadillac northstar kit works too and will probably be easier to find a shop that has the Cadillac kit.
Are you saying they sold you a core with 3 stripped bolt holes? If thats the case I would of told them to shove it..

OP just ditch the block and find another one in good condition. Its not worth it to repair 3 bolt holes when you can just source another block. Its a stock junk b20 block, trash it. If you really wanted to the BEST fix for that would be to have the head tapped for 1/2 inch head studs.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No reason to trash it. I'll buy it.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SD_Lurker
Are you saying they sold you a core with 3 stripped bolt holes? If thats the case I would of told them to shove it..
yeah they told me i could send it back and they would time sert it but i pay shipping and am out the block i already assembled for another couple weeks so i got it fixed in town and they wouldnt pay for it. pretty gay but oh well.

OP if the block is in good shape otherwise get them time serted and you will be less into it then buying another block. just make sure the machine shop knows what they are doing.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you really wanted to the BEST fix for that would be to have the head tapped for 1/2 inch head studs.
That's the worst solution ever. Someone that converts to 1/2 inch head studs because of stripped issues, will be paying out their butt for as long as they own that block. It's very expensive to have custom gaskets (that don't leak) made.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 AM

OP just ditch the block and find another one in good condition. Its not worth it to repair 3 bolt holes when you can just source another block. Its a stock junk b20 block, trash it. If you really wanted to the BEST fix for that would be to have the head tapped for 1/2 inch head studs.
just to set things straight we did offer to fix the block even though we test them before they go out he opted to have a local shop timesert it instead. i don't know who told you putting 1/2 inch head studs in the block is the best way to fix it but they were wrong. if you use 1/2 inch head studs not only are the studs expensive but you now have to mod your head and every head gasket you use to match and that can be expensive as well. I'm yet to see a block that needed 1/2 inch head studs when i have seen 1500 hp on our standered head studs with no problems even with a timesert.

Last edited by Golden Eagle; 01-11-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

had the same problem with my sleeved b18 got the time sert kit and been running for the last 2 years with no problems at all... here is the link for time sert http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html
Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 AM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by CerealKiller
That's the worst solution ever. Someone that converts to 1/2 inch head studs because of stripped issues, will be paying out their butt for as long as they own that block. It's very expensive to have custom gaskets (that don't leak) made.

The BEST, I didn't say most economical way to fix this is to have the block tapped for 1/2 headstuds.

Last edited by boostedcivicsir; 01-11-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: house cleaning
Old 01-11-2010, 12:16 PM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by Golden Eagle
just to set things straight we did offer to fix the block even though we test them before they go out he opted to have a local shop timesert it instead. i don't know who told you putting 1/2 inch head studs in the block is the best way to fix it but they were wrong. if you use 1/2 inch head studs not only are the studs expensive but you now have to mod your head and every head gasket you use to match and that can be expensive as well. I'm yet to see a block that needed 1/2 inch head studs when i have seen 1500 hp on our standered head studs with no problems even with a timesert.
So if you offered to fix his block why should he pay shipping back and forth to your facility?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a little tech in this thread, for people that dont know.

keep on topic, and keep the bickering in PM's please.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:20 PM

So if you offered to fix his block why should he pay shipping back and forth to your facility?
We did not ask him to pay shipping back and forth. We said if he would like to ship the block back we would repair it and ship it back free of charge. thats more then what most shops will do most will make you pay shipping both ways.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedcivicsir
there is a little tech in this thread, for people that dont know.

keep on topic, and keep the bickering in PM's please.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Radyjr
I just acquired a b20z block and ive got some internal parts that i wanted to load it up with piston, rods, bearings etc. but i got a little issue. I want to run boost but three of the head bolts in the block are stripped. Would the block still be able to be used if i get head studs and i take it to the machine shop to get it repaired for the three bolt that were stripped. Im currently running a sohc boosted but i would like to step up with a b-series....any help would be greatfull
OP, if you're getting the head stud holes fixed, make sure you get them time serted. You should pay no more then $30 per hole, as the task is laborious. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Golden Eagle
We did not ask him to pay shipping back and forth. We said if he would like to ship the block back we would repair it and ship it back free of charge. thats more then what most shops will do most will make you pay shipping both ways.
yeah well it should have been good when i got it $1020 for a block that i assembled and then would have to disasseble to ship back and then pay ship it back to you when it should have been right the first time you should have covered shipping both ways but i would rather pay to have it fixed intown same day so whatever its done and i am now happy with the block i understand you have policies and procedures that you have to follow and its over and done with and the block is holding up fine. at least you guys did offer to fix it, thanks for trying.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The block was givin for free by a friend. What would be the max that you would boost on this block if it was repaired correctly.....

Last edited by Radyjr; 01-12-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going too be using a B16 head in this setup....
Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 AM

The block was givin for free by a friend. What would be the max that you would boost on this block if it was repaired correctly.....
as long as you timesert it its just as strong as stock you will be fine
Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by hondapowerb16a2
yeah well it should have been good when i got it $1020 for a block that i assembled and then would have to disasseble to ship back and then pay ship it back to you when it should have been right the first time you should have covered shipping both ways but i would rather pay to have it fixed intown same day so whatever its done and i am now happy with the block i understand you have policies and procedures that you have to follow and its over and done with and the block is holding up fine. at least you guys did offer to fix it, thanks for trying.
i am sory you had a problem not sure what happen with this block as we do test them before they go out. i am sure you will be more then happy with the sleeves and will have no problems with them at all good luck with your build
Old 01-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is usually the cost of sleeving the block
Old 01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it a long process for the timeset
Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 PM

Is it a long process for the timeset
most shops can do it in hour or 2
Old 01-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you know if the machine shops offer warranty based on labor. or by any chance if there is warranty on the product