Notices

B20v turbo block building

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B20v turbo block building

Hey guys been awhile since I've posted had a bad experience last time, but anyways looking for some help. I'm getting ready to start assembling by b20v turbo w/type r Trans starting with my block. I've decided on Arias pistons seeing as I have a friend that works there and can get me a deal. I'm looking into 84mm with a 9:5-10:1 compression and either eagle or crower rods depending on my prices. I will be sleeving the block and building the head and looking for around 400hp using 750cc rc's and hondata s300. I know if done right it can be a killer build. My question now is about assembling the block. I'm wondering about block guards and girdles?? I am aware that GsR's and Type R's come stock with a block girdle, and I know the block guard is only there to keep your sleeves for walking they do not prevent cracking or anything else. But I know if installed wrong it can be a big headache ctausing overheating and other problems. Everything will be assembled through a reputable shop. So I'm wondering would I use both or just one or the other?? Or is it all preference?? Thanx in advance for the help, and please I'm not tryin to start a know it all contest so let's keep the negativity to minimum thanx :D
Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Default Re: B20v turbo block building

i wonder if 850cc would be better for your power goals
block guard is a no no
the gridle on a non vtec bottom end i do not know about
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you sleeve it, there's no point to the block guard (which there isn't a point to begin with)

i wouldn't worry about the girdle. i take my ls/vtec to 9000 and have no issues.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Blockguards are useless. Why would you even worry if you were getting sleeved. And youll be fine without a girdle.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why spend so much money to have a block properly sleeved for only 400whp?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx guys really appreciate you takin the time to respond and all the positive feedback. I keep hearing if you have sleeves why would you use a blockguard?? I just thought it was there to keep the sleeves from walking?? But if you guys say need for it with the sleeves I'll take it!! @justyncredible I originally had 550's because I was building a stock turbo Gsr but when the plans changed I sold those and picked up the 750's. I'm pretty confident they should do the job the 550's are supposed to handle around 350hp at 85% duty cycle and the 750's over 400 so I hope it should be enough if not I'll prob go with some 1000's. As for sleeving the block why not if I have budgeted for it?? This is gonna be a dd/track car and I'd like it to last as long as possible so I'm tryin to do this right the first time through. I mean why spend all this money to build it just to skip on the sleeves. I'm sure most of it is for piece of mind and I know there's stock blocks out there doin 500hp on stock sleeves but i guess its all in the build. I think it's a good idea to sleeve anything over 400hp and if I'm gonna be shooting for more power later why not have a block that can take it otherwise I'll be takin it apart again.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

true good thing your your sleeving causevyou will probbly end up wanting more. but if your pretty sure you will want you should just go with with some id1000. so you dont buy injectors three times.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

True thanx phaphon that's what I've been thinking too because I'll prob max out those 750's pretty quick lol I'm really hoping it comes out good I've been planning and saving for almost 6 months now just tryin to do it right and show what we can build out here. I'm hopin for 350-400hp which I think reasonable not just some crazy number thrown out there lol Thanx again guys I'll keep anyone interested posted on the build
Old 08-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sean EgHatch909
Hey guys been awhile since I've posted had a bad experience last time, but anyways looking for some help. I'm getting ready to start assembling by b20v turbo w/type r Trans starting with my block. I've decided on Arias pistons seeing as I have a friend that works there and can get me a deal. I'm looking into 84mm with a 9:5-10:1 compression and either eagle or crower rods depending on my prices. I will be sleeving the block and building the head and looking for around 400hp using 750cc rc's and hondata s300. I know if done right it can be a killer build. My question now is about assembling the block. I'm wondering about block guards and girdles?? I am aware that GsR's and Type R's come stock with a block girdle, and I know the block guard is only there to keep your sleeves for walking they do not prevent cracking or anything else. But I know if installed wrong it can be a big headache ctausing overheating and other problems. Everything will be assembled through a reputable shop. So I'm wondering would I use both or just one or the other?? Or is it all preference?? Thanx in advance for the help, and please I'm not tryin to start a know it all contest so let's keep the negativity to minimum thanx :D
Whos doing the sleeves? if its a GE sleeved block they come with their own "Block Guard" installed to stop sleeve walk.. i'd go bigger on the injectors too. If you are only looking at making 400 whp thats not too hard even on a stock block. we put down over 400 on a bone stock B20Z block. Stock rods, stock pistons, just reringed with hastings rings and new ACL race bearings. Stock B16 Head and Victor X Intake Mani. Running 1000cc Injectors.

What turbo / manifold / Wastegate are you running?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by h22crxpwr
Whos doing the sleeves? if its a GE sleeved block they come with their own "Block Guard" installed to stop sleeve walk.. i'd go bigger on the injectors too. If you are only looking at making 400 whp thats not too hard even on a stock block. we put down over 400 on a bone stock B20Z block. Stock rods, stock pistons, just reringed with hastings rings and new ACL race bearings. Stock B16 Head and Victor X Intake Mani. Running 1000cc Injectors.

What turbo / manifold / Wastegate are you running?
I was thinking the same thing since it wasnt mentioned...

I hope he's not thinking 400whp going N/A
Old 08-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think were goin golden eagle or rs sleeves. And prob just goin with a ported type r mani with Garrett t3/t4 turbo. If this was strictly track or just for fun I wouldn't be as worried with a stock block, but since it's gonna be a dd/weekend warrior I'm lookin for some reliability and piece of mind is all. Cuz yea if I wasn't sleeving it I'd have it assembled and in already sleeves are running me about $950 and between $600-800 for pistons and rids but after that it's just assembling my head and tuning the beast. I'm curious on some compression numbers though?? I'm still trying to decide between 9:5-10:1 I know the lower the comp the more boost but you loose that punch off the line that's "turbo lag" correct?? And with higher comp there's less room for error but I know people boost there type r's with stock 11:1 comp without problems. Is there really a big diff between 9:1 to 10:1 or will anything in that general area be about the same??
Old 08-15-2012, 05:06 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

350-400 is very easy to make and honestly 350 is f'in fun as hell to drive around. 400 is challenging to control...well that is my opinion
Old 08-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Sean EgHatch909;47729305]Hey guys been awhile since I've posted had a bad experience last time, but anyways looking for some help. I'm getting ready to start assembling by b20v turbo w/type r Trans

It actually says in the first post b20v turbo
Old 08-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly justyncredible it's just somethin to have fun with be still be a reliable dd