Notices

B20b Turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B20b Turbo questions

Hey guys!
After blowing my Subaru up multiple times I joined the dark side and went for a Honda. Every Honda I've raced has made me butthurt, so I'm ready to turn the tides. At this point in time I'm hoarding parts for the build.

Currently, I have a b20b block with Darton dry sleeves and forged internals (Weisco and Manley), a stock ls head (got it for free), type r water and oil pump, warlboro 450 fuel pump, apr head & main studs, and acl race bearings.

My main concern: what should I do with the ls head? I want to make power but I know I have many more upgrades to accomplish before I see the results.

Would a port&foolish be worth while? Turbo cams, titanium retainers, etc etc? Realistically my power goals initially are around 400+, obviously going as high as I can after that. The dollar amount adding up on the head is starting to blow my mind for the proven dyno gains I've seen, they seem far too low for the cash spent.

Any ideas? All input is appreciated and I thank you for your time 😁
Old 09-15-2015, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B20b Turbo questions

Go with a vtec head. It will make more power bone stock then a built ls head.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Its very possible. It also depends upon the turbocharger used.

Many people have used quality CROWER (not Brian Crower, mind you) 403 and 404 camshafts with a lot of headwork to do what you're asking, but as you stated, the cost goes up considerably compared to a VTEC head using an LS/VTEC kit.

Yes, yes, I know, its free, and you want to be different. but look at it this way. The money you put into the LS head is all from scratch, so you've invested into yourself.

Check out the LS Turbo setups forum
click here for LS turbo setups and run through that to see similar setups.

Also check out lighteningteg's LS builds. He is one of the more successful LS/B20 turbo street cars on this forum... And HE has recently gone LS VTEC, but can still offer some cues.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:55 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Go vtec

Its not hard to do

Tap and plug a hole

Run an oil line to the head

Swap timing belt and water pump and youre done
Old 09-15-2015, 08:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

To give u an idea,

i throw ls heads in the trash i cant even give them away
Old 09-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
To give u an idea,

i throw ls heads in the trash i cant even give them away
Lol this is true. I have 4 ls heads in my garage all picked up for basically nothing, but Vtec heads are treated like gold in my area.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Its very possible. It also depends upon the turbocharger used.

Many people have used quality CROWER (not Brian Crower, mind you) 403 and 404 camshafts with a lot of headwork to do what you're asking, but as you stated, the cost goes up considerably compared to a VTEC head using an LS/VTEC kit.

Yes, yes, I know, its free, and you want to be different. but look at it this way. The money you put into the LS head is all from scratch, so you've invested into yourself.

Check out the LS Turbo setups forum
click here for LS turbo setups and run through that to see similar setups.

Also check out lighteningteg's LS builds. He is one of the more successful LS/B20 turbo street cars on this forum... And HE has recently gone LS VTEC, but can still offer some cues.
That was a good read, thank you for your feedback. What perks could I expect going vtec? In my mind I can see a faster spool, but other than that vtec is foreign to me.

But I'll do some more research and go from there. I couldn't logically justify the expenditures on the ls head for power output achieved, seems to me I'd be throwing money away that could be spent more effectively.

I thank all of you tho, you're making this significantly less stressful for my mind and my wallet haha.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Coogiburr
That was a good read, thank you for your feedback. What perks could I expect going vtec? In my mind I can see a faster spool, but other than that vtec is foreign to me.

But I'll do some more research and go from there. I couldn't logically justify the expenditures on the ls head for power output achieved, seems to me I'd be throwing money away that could be spent more effectively.

I thank all of you tho, you're making this significantly less stressful for my mind and my wallet haha.
You need to see how the basics of VTEC work. you can find that in several of the FAQs within the forum. By and large, VTEC B-series cylinder heads have much better airflow capabilities than the Non-VTEC heads, and allow for MANY more options in the way of aftermarket support and utility. With the right equipment and assembly, you'll be leaps and bounds ahead.

You'll need to learn How to install an LS/VTEC setup which is also in the FAQs, and you can search easily on google.

Unfortunately, this forum is not very polite in just giving the information away, because many feel (myself included) that a lot of the information is very easily accessible, even in your part of the world. So the expectation is that you need to do your part in the research and carefully phrasing your questions. Chances are, the info is already there and you're one of thousands that come on here each month asking the same basic questions.

Good luck, and unless some specific questions on your build are not being addressed, this thread will be closed, because it is not specific to anything.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand vtec dude.. Just not how it unites with boost applications. That's what this was all about; which head could make the most out of the least with little compromise, vtec or non. I won't waste my time and money on the ls head and find another route. Thanks for your time the thread can close whenever
Old 09-15-2015, 10:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Coogiburr
I understand vtec dude.. Just not how it unites with boost applications. That's what this was all about; which head could make the most out of the least with little compromise, vtec or non. I won't waste my time and money on the ls head and find another route. Thanks for your time the thread can close whenever
Dont pay attention to him. Hes like my grandma a whiny old bitch.

Anyway. Vtec head flow great without any port work. They can be found in my area for around 3-400 dollars. Which isnt much.

Think of an evo in this case. They need to push a specific turbocharger to 20 psi to make a hp number when a honda vtec motor would only need 10 psi because of the better flow.

Very vague description but thats the jist of it.

I had a b20vtec on an 18g a couple months back and loved it.

Grab a vtec head b16 or gsr works. Gsr will be cheaper

Gsr cams which are also cheap and add valve springs and retainers and youre set

Leave the stock valves alone. They can hold up to a good amount of heat
Old 09-15-2015, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Dont pay attention to him. Hes like my grandma a whiny old bitch.

Anyway. Vtec head flow great without any port work. They can be found in my area for around 3-400 dollars. Which isnt much.

Think of an evo in this case. They need to push a specific turbocharger to 20 psi to make a hp number when a honda vtec motor would only need 10 psi because of the better flow.

Very vague description but thats the jist of it.

I had a b20vtec on an 18g a couple months back and loved it.

Grab a vtec head b16 or gsr works. Gsr will be cheaper

Gsr cams which are also cheap and add valve springs and retainers and youre set

Leave the stock valves alone. They can hold up to a good amount of heat
Thank you sir, I really appreciate that info. Trying to make the proper decisions the first time instead of never haha, the head is the only part of the build I was lost on
Old 09-15-2015, 03:15 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<p>It does depend on your power goals, too, but given the aforementioned parts, I'm guessing you're going for a bit more than the average build. &nbsp;Toss that LS head up on eBay for $50, and put that money towards a VTEC head. &nbsp;This is&nbsp;coming from a non-VTEC kind of guy.</p>
Old 09-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use my numerous LS heads for practicing port work lol. Most of them were given to me by friends because really they are a dime a dozen and virtually dirt cheap, unless you find a P8R LS head which really is worth gold.

You can make 400 with an LS head but you're going to need a set of cams as the OEM LS cams suck, you'll also need an aftermarket intake manifold and it's going to take lots of boost pressure (20psi give or take) depending on your turbo choice.

VTEC heads have much higher flow rates due to port design, valve size, and camshaft profiles so it's much easier to make decent power with them. For all of the money it takes for an LS head to easily break the 400hp level a VTEC could do it with ease bone stock.

Also if you only have the dry liners then they are simply OEM replacement sleeves and are no stronger. The "wet" sleeves are the strong ones as they replace the entire OEM sleeve. If in doubt take a pic of the deck of the block and post it.