Notices

B20/Vtec/Turbo....LACK of OIL??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B20/Vtec/Turbo....LACK of OIL??????

i heard that there is a issue that when the b20/vtec/turbo kicks into gear and the motor proceeds into "Vtec" there there is a lack of oil that goes to the head because of how the oil lines are tapped into the oil pump and oil is sent to the turbo through that line its said that the oil pressure is taking a loss along the way and not enough oil is being sent to the head for the Vtec....i heard this prob can be solved with a OIL CATCH CAN...but im not too sure...and if so....how is it done...NEED HELP....-swift
Old 07-12-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: B20/Vtec/Turbo....LACK of OIL?????? (gsr_b20x2)

i guess what im asking is...if the head isnt getting enough oil cause of the oil lines tapped into the oil pump, leading to the turbo from the Vtec conversion... what is the CORRECT way to provide the Gsr head with MORE OIL...?...there... -swift

Modified by gsr_b20x2 at 10:16 AM 7/13/2005

Modified by gsr_b20x2 at 10:17 AM 7/13/2005
Old 07-13-2005, 09:18 AM

uber bump....VERY URGENT...thx all -swift
Old 07-13-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: B20/Vtec/Turbo....LACK of OIL?????? (gsr_b20)

The proper way is to get something like the golden eagle vtec convertion kit.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: B20/Vtec/Turbo....LACK of OIL?????? (porsche997)

i have already ran a vtec conversion kit...now what exactly will the golden eagle do...is that the one that takes the oil from the oil filter area...not too sure...i heard that a OIL COOLER can help....but that seems to me that that would only COOL THE OIL allowing it to stay thicker to help the motor run smoother and such...im not too sure how effective that would be in making sure the head gets suffecient OIL during Vtec....what im basicly saying is....by chance...is there ANY OTHER WAY besides the Golden Eagle Con.Kit cause then i will have to plug the hole in the oil pump...-swift
Old 07-13-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: B20/Vtec/Turbo....LACK of OIL?????? (gsr_b20)

The GE one supplies filter oil to the vtec head. If you use the GE vtec convertion then you won't loose oil pressure. If you have problem with burning oil then try a thicker oil.
Do you have oil pressure problem?
Do you have oil pressure gauge? If you don't have an oil pressure gauge then I suggest you get one. It's one of the most important gauge for any engine.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: B20/Vtec/Turbo....LACK of OIL?????? (porsche997)

i have oil temp & oil pressure...its just that i heard that there can be issues or probs from the LACK of oil getting to the head when the Vtec kicks in... cause of the loss of pressure that is caused in the oil pump when the vtec DEMANDS the use of more oil, and the Turbo is DEMANDING the same...thats why im looking for an alternate way to supply more oil to the head without having to get a whole new vtec conv. kit and be in a position to have to fill the hole from the plug that was tapped into the gsr oil pump.

Modified by gsr_b20 at 2:24 PM 7/13/2005
Old 07-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And all this time that VTEC and your turbo are "Demanding" more oil, where do you think it is besides in those two locations?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:21 PM

Bump...will like to know to
Old 07-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my B20/VTEC/Turbo setup i shimmed the oil pump pressure relief spring to get a little more oil pressure out of the system.

when the engine is fully warmed up i get about 75-85psi of oil pressure above 3000rpm and 20-25psi at idle. when VTEC kicks in it drops to around 60-70psi.

my turbo oil feed line has an oil pressure restrictor in it so the turbo probably only see's 40-50psi at the most.

the turbo does not need allot of oil pressure. as a matter of fact if you run to much oil pressure to the turbo center section you can blow out the seals.

what you want to do is monitor you oil pressure with a hot engine. like mentioned before you better have a oil pressure gauge. it defiantly is one of the most important gauges you will ever need.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Re: B20/Vtec/Turbo....LACK of OIL?????? (non-VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on my B20/VTEC/Turbo setup i shimmed the oil pump pressure relief spring to get a little more oil pressure out of the system.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

aww...see i knew there was a way to help provide more oil and open something up a little....i plan on doing just that today...BUT...lol...forgive me as you can see &lt;------NoOb...lol...how does one SHIMM the oil pressure relife spring...its a mistake i cant afford to make in the event i do it wrong....is it possible that you can gimme a half *** step by step so i dont fugg it up...<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my turbo oil feed line has an oil pressure restrictor in it so the turbo probably only see's 40-50psi at the most.

the turbo does not need allot of oil pressure. as a matter of fact if you run to much oil pressure to the turbo center section you can blow out the seals. </TD></TR></TABLE>
another case on a IMPORTANT way to save a turbo and give a little or alot of pressure back to the oil pump to send to the head...i ordered one today off of ebay hope its good enough

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW

does this look about right to you or should i look at getting a different style...???
and as for this ... <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
what you want to do is monitor you oil pressure with a hot engine. like mentioned before you better have a oil pressure gauge. it defiantly is one of the most important gauges you will ever need.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
the oil pressure gauge is the first one i bought...I learned from experence...my 96' Gsr motor spun a bearing and threw a rod cause the oil filter came off during a freeway race and i didnt know until i was COMPLETELY dry...so i knew from then....that would never happen to me again...well...without me knowing about it at least so i then took the head off that motor...and im building this one

***any <U>other</U> ideas you guys might have....any in put....would all be Uber helpful....and thx again non-V....its been a pleasure. you may have just saved another motor in the name of man-kind

(btw non-V....if you have a chance can you please IM me AOL sn... Breadofspam)

Modified by gsr_b20x2 at 1:05 PM 7/14/2005