Notices

b18c4 turbo build in a classic mini advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c4 turbo build in a classic mini advice needed

HI guys I am currently in the process of doing research for my project this is the engine build that I have worked out so far. The engine is going into a classic mini. I am looking at around 400-500whp. I would like to go 4wd so if you could help with the drivetrain that would be brilliant! To go 4wd I need to use the Honda crv gearbox propshaft and rear diff. The engine will be going into quite a tight space so I think that the ram horn manifold is the best option for me.
To help with regards to the 4wd the tyres will be 175 50 13 roughly around that size!
I also have a stage 2 clutch I understand that this will not be the best clutch to use buti would like to use it until it goes!

If you guys could help and advise on what to do with the build and transmission that would be brilliant
So here is the build spec so far:

Head
Brian Crower Stage 2 turbo cams
Brian Crower Adjustable Cam Gears
Ported and Polished
Arp head bolts

Intake
Skunk2 Ultra street Intake manifold
Skunk2 70mm throttle body
Induction kit I am unsure on because of space

Block
Arp Stud Kit
Darton Mid Sleeves
Cp pistons 9.0-9.2
Manley Turbo Tuff ConRods
Crank Lightened and balanced
Acl Bearings

Exhaust and Turbo
Schuband Autoworks Ram horn Manifold
44mm wastegate
Precision 5858 or something similar
Schuband Autoworks downpipe and system

Fuel
Aem Fuel rail
725cc dynamic injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump

Regards
Alex
Old 06-10-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: b18c4 turbo build in a classic mini advice needed

AWD for that using a B-series in a CR-V or wagovan in an original Astin Mini is not going to happen. So much work and fabrication, even those that did a basic AWD system had serious specifications and issues. You'd have to do that one on your own.

As for the other equipment, Get rid of the BC Camshafts and use simple GSR / ITR. There is another person who was successful on H-T who did his turbo setup with an Astin-Mini, but you'd have to find them to see that build. It's there, but quite a bit of work.
They did not use a "Ramhorn" manifold of any kind because there simply is NO ROOM FOR THAT. You would need a top-mount intercooler as well to fit.

You may want to contact Go-Autoworks.com because they helped an owner put a special kit together for the Austin-Mini by special fabrication. Again the build is on here, I just can't remember the name of the owner right now

Here's the basic conversion kit.

Vtec B Series Engine Conversion Kit For Mini Coope

And go via Pinterst too
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/539657967824090222
https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=11481

https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=12604
Old 06-11-2017, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
AWD for that using a B-series in a CR-V or wagovan in an original Astin Mini is not going to happen. So much work and fabrication, even those that did a basic AWD system had serious specifications and issues. You'd have to do that one on your own.

As for the other equipment, Get rid of the BC Camshafts and use simple GSR / ITR. There is another person who was successful on H-T who did his turbo setup with an Astin-Mini, but you'd have to find them to see that build. It's there, but quite a bit of work.
They did not use a "Ramhorn" manifold of any kind because there simply is NO ROOM FOR THAT. You would need a top-mount intercooler as well to fit.

You may want to contact Go-Autoworks.com because they helped an owner put a special kit together for the Austin-Mini by special fabrication. Again the build is on here, I just can't remember the name of the owner right now
There is a company that does the rear subframe which holds the diff and makes the driveshafts so this isn't a problem. I was more concerned with the gearing of the gearbox and getting the power down! I understand that i would need a final drive of 3.47, 3.7 or 3.9 but from what i can gather the crv gearbox isn't a b series its a modified h/f box, so trying to change the gear ratio could be a problem, has anyone change the gear ratios whom have gone 4wd or just stuck with the normal ratio?

I have just had a read of the mini thread, thank you for that should have done a search before hand!
With regards to the cams i understand that the gar/itr are cams are from the integras but sourcing a set could be a problem! After doing some research on eBay i found a set had gone for around £400 but a set of brian crower or skunk2 is only £520, admittedly yes there is a price difference but i feel that if i sound a bit of extra money i could get a new set that would do a better job, am i right in thinking this?

With regards to room i am going for a mini clubman front end which gives me around 3/4 inches more room in the engine bay it isn't much but I'm sure this will be a bit more helpful with the build! what manifold would you suggest i know of another mini which is doing the same as me but is using a top mounted manifold, maybe this would be the better option. I thought that the ram horn manifold would be better suited for around 400-500whp i could be wrong as i am pretty new to this?
Top mounted intercooler wouldn't be a problem i actually like the idea of that! just depends on the spacing as i don't really want to be putting a bonnet scoop if i don't have to

Thank you for your help
If you could advise me anymore it would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Alex
Old 09-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Mr. Alex, I'm doing the same converstion as you are only on a 63' pickup. I'm going to use a b16 and turbo it. I'm very new with honda motors. Maybe we can compare notes?
thanks
Charlie