Notices

b18c1 built for turbo? or b18b1 vtec built for turbo?

Old 09-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c1 built for turbo? or b18b1 vtec built for turbo?

sup,
im in the process of finding a block to match my fully built GSR Head. As to this day i am still not sure on the block im going to be using, it will obviously be fully built, although should i do an LS or GSR? i know the LS will give more torque although im also looking for reliablity. Shop says i shouldnt be concerened about reliablity, both the gsr and ls block will be the same. After reading on honda tech i find that the LS VTEC is going to be the hardest to tune, hardest to maintain, etc since it is a hybrid set up.

Do these 2 set up make a big difference in power? im willing to loose some power in order to guarantee reliablity, although how much of a power difference will it make?

Both these set up are going to built for low compression, bored, sleeved, everyhing.

For those of you running either of these set ups can you list your whp and wtq numbers? Along with your experiences on reliablity?

i understand a turbo wont be as reliable, but i need all the reliablity i can get because it will be my daily driver.

This set up will be combined on 880cc injectors, gt35e .63 compressor,

Thanks Alot fellow HT members
Old 09-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just bumping it up before i go to class y0
Old 09-19-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: b18c1 built for turbo? or b18b1 vtec built for turbo? (JDM00SI)

Street daily driver --> Build the LS
Drag application --> build the GSR
Old 09-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c1 built for turbo? or b18b1 vtec built for turbo? (elpiar)

so the ls vtec will be more reliable?
Old 09-19-2005, 09:41 AM

GSR Block with a LS crank and be done with it.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with ls vtec you have more usable torque with enough hp, but if you're shooting for top end power and high hp, go with gsr
Old 09-21-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: b18c1 built for turbo? or b18b1 vtec built for turbo? (elpiar)

why does people use ls cranks with gsr blocks?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: b18c1 built for turbo? or b18b1 vtec built for turbo? (del_orson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by del_orson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why does people use ls cranks with gsr blocks?</TD></TR></TABLE>

With the increased stroke you get about 0.40 more CC's of displacement and a slight increase in torque. Since it's a GSR block you dont have to worry about doing an LSVTEC conversion.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: b18c1 built for turbo? or b18b1 vtec built for turbo? (BlueShadow)

either straight gsr or gsr with the ls crank
Old 09-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im in the same boat what is so special about the gsr block if your running forged internals?
would a gsr crank and forged gsr internals in an ls block with a gsr head be the same as a gsr block with out oil squirters or is there more to it? are high hp ls motor unrealistic keeping the rod/stroke ratio stock but built motor built and tuned correctly?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheCheeseWedge)

Main advantage i see with the GSR blocks is the girdle. Everything else such as crank, etc can be put on the gsr block. Go gsr if you can, LS will be fine if you can't.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well here is the deal, if im not totally correct please excuse. BUt i have done alot of research and real motor build ups.

your build is exactly like mine...almost. to answer your questions in detail i hope that you find them satisfactory. in a turbo build your engine will never last as long as a stock engine. but that doesnt mean you cant get 100,000+ miles out of a turbo motor. it just depends on how much you drive in boost on a daily basis/ or how much boost you run around town vs racing. if you stay out of boost as much as possiable when daily driving your engine will last longer. It also depends mostly on your tuner. if it has a good tune your engine will run like butterfly.

but anyway about your block question

both blocks can give you a dependable motor. but there are limitations to this ill explain.

The ls block is cheaper and easier to find "i found my complete ls motor for 125$ with 30k" the ls block does not have the extra oil squirters that shoot oil underneath the piston and wrist pin. that is on disadvantage also the ls motor has a 89mm stroke vs the 87.20 mm stroke of the gsr motors. the larger stroke is what gives the ls motor so much more low end tq, which is good for daily driving. on the downside to the longer stroke, is the rod to stroke ratio. "basically it limits redline rpm" the ls motor has a base redline of 8,000 rpm (if its blueprinted and balanced you will be able to get more) also if you mate the gsr head to the ls block there are some differences like: watter galleries are not exaclty the same therefore could cause premature head gasket failure (that is the main problem with ls/vtec) also the oil feed port in the block is not there to feed the vtec head with the oil to power vtec. there fore a ls/vtec conversion kit is available for 200$ at: http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com
also the ls motor does not natively come with a block girdle (girdle is used to strengthen the botom engine at high rpms. (a custom made girdle can be purchased also at http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com)

since i have explained the ls motor i will tell you that i am building a ls/vtec for 400-450hp, it is not complete yet. but it will be soon.

as for the gsr block. it would probably be more expensive and harder to find "also the b18c1 and b18c5 are the same block only the heads are different. the heads have different cc's per cylinder. the b18c1 head has less cc's therefore making higher compression = more power (high compression = bad for turbo motor that is going to be driven daily) the gsr has correctly aligned oil and water galleries, therefore extening head gasket life and less potential oil leaks. but you could get the low end power like a ls motor if you swaped the crankshaft to the ls motor crankshaft. but you will half to get custom rods made because the block is shorter than the ls block, in theory with shorter rods you should = out your rod ratio gaining back the redline rpm.

also i has ls parts for sale. i have a crankshaft with only 30k on it i have pictures. if your interested e-mail me importordomestic@yahoo.com

hope i helped.