Notices

B18C TYPE R Turbo Block Build............................................. ...........

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18C TYPE R Turbo Block Build............................................. ...........

So I bought this already built block and I want to rebuild it for piece of mind. Its got Darton Sleeves, Manley Rods and CP Pistons. The compression is 9.0 to 1 (Type R crank)... The block will be checked by a machine shop before I start but I still have a few questions.

My questions are:

1) If I wanted to bump compression by using an LS crank (cause I have one and its not a disgrace to the R, lol). Can I still re use the low compression pistons?

2) I know this is a vague question depending on alot of variables, but how much (approx.) would the compression change by using the LS crank.

3) Since I dont know how much the top of the block has been decked, is there any way to measure it and compare it to factory specs?

4) Lastly, any quick tips or things to look for when rebuilding a block?

This is my first build and Im pretty excited about it. Pictures will be up shortly and Im hoping to document everything and share as I go
Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: B18C TYPE R Turbo Block Build............................................. ......

Bought the block already built but you want to rebuild it? That makes no sense. Why didn't you just buy a bare block then?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C TYPE R Turbo Block Build............................................. ......

Got a good deal on it... It was way cheaper than buying all the parts separately and getting a block sleeved... I just want fresh rings and bearings in it and bump the compression if I can... Thats a personal choice.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Use a build calcuator and substitute the LS crank from the B18C5 crank to help you with your answers. Your compression will increase from the use of the LS crank, but not by a lot.
http://www.zealautowerks.com/bseries.html
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep the crank buy diffrent pistons
Old 03-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Use a build calcuator and substitute the LS crank from the B18C5 crank to help you with your answers. Your compression will increase from the use of the LS crank, but not by a lot.
http://www.zealautowerks.com/bseries.html

Im playing around with this and doing more research at the same time. If LS rods are only 0.9 mm shorter than GSR/Type R rods, why does everyone recommend to use LS rods with the LS crank? Are the GSR/Type R rods not compatible with the LS crank?

Originally Posted by redflaredcrx90
keep the crank buy diffrent pistons
Any particular reason for recommending this?
Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ACTION JACTION
Im playing around with this and doing more research at the same time. If LS rods are only 0.9 mm shorter than GSR/Type R rods, why does everyone recommend to use LS rods with the LS crank? Are the GSR/Type R rods not compatible with the LS crank?

more counter weights
Old 03-17-2013, 05:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ACTION JACTION

Yes. Because you want the Rods to match your crank for the additional 2mm stroke. Putting the GS-R Rods with your LS Crank will POKE THE PISTONS OUT OF THE CYLINDER COMPLETELY. This means Bye-bye valves/pistons.

I've done this build about 3 times over, (Most for NA , some boost). It helps eliminate the need of an LS/VTEC kit, and at the same time, get a bit more additional stroke to the motor, and add other accessories if needed, such as an oil cooler or some other apparatus.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All MOTOR !!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

p2d goes from .026 to -.009 (out of the hole). Although this should not contact the head its extremely close and it would probably contact valves. Shodan, do you know for a fact it will contact? I dont have alot of experience with stock clearances.