Notices

B18C Rebuild Advice Welcome!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18C Rebuild Advice Welcome!!!

So i'm starting to source parts for an engine rebuild I plan to do on my 1995 B18C. In order my objectives for the rebuild are affordability, reliability, and lastly speed. Although i'm not super concerned with making the car fast at the moment I would like to put parts in that I know I could build on top of down the road such as forged internals and other quality parts (while still keeping price in mind). The first thing i'm looking to buy is either a complete engine gasket set for a 1995 B18C or if i need to I may just buy a head gasket set and and a bottom gasket set separately. Having said that does any one know of any gasket sets that are good quality and affordable? Also should I go OEM headgasket ? Below is a list of work im planning on doing during the rebuild, if you guys think any of it is unnecessary or I have omitted important stuff that would be awesome if you would let me know. Thanks for the help in advance.
-Mac

Machine Work:
-Deck / hone block
-Shave head
-Hot tank

Parts
-Redo all gaskets for head and bottom end
-Clevite thrust, journal bearings
-Rings
-Water pump
-Oil pump (?)
- new Headstuds (?)
Old 04-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C Rebuild Advice Welcome!!!

Is the car turbo?
Is it going to be turbo?
If not factory internals is all you will ever need. If it is/ is going to be turbo then forged rods/ pistons just depends on your HP goals, you can do 300 whp all day long on stock internals, above that you should probably do forged, when it comes to price, forged internals will run $ 700-800 no matter what.
Your rebuild should work out fine, added notes, stock oil pump is fine, although if it has a ton of miles on it wouldn't hurt to replace with new oem.
If you are using stock internals you should use arp rod bolts, the machine shop will have to do some honing so they stay truly round.
You should use arp head studs.
Gaskets......well, what I have always done is buy an elcheapo complete Hawley set on eBay for $50, then throw out the head gasket and buy an oem Honda one.
Bearings, you could use the clevites, but if your staying stock internals just use oem Honda bearings.
Last, is your ring gap the machine shop can set the gap, go within stock tolerance for all motor, and go loose by a few thousandths for boost.

Just make sure to use assembly lube and proper torque specs and you'll be all good man.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Two other side notes consider replacing the clutch while everythings apart and put one in that will suite your HP goals, also replace any bad motor Mounts or just replace all of them. These are things that if you don't do them while the motor is out, you will regret it and have to do more work later.

Last edited by boosted_D; 04-04-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks alot for all the information. One day I would love to go turbo but I can't see that in the near future. Ideally for horsepower goals, I would like to run low boost 6 - 8 lbs and hopefully make between 220- 240 whp... eventually. Also thanks again for the input its greatly appreciated.
-Mac