Notices

B18B1 Turbo Misfire...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18B1 Turbo Misfire...

Ok, so lemme start with what I have for a car. I have a EG6 with a b18b1 turbo motor making about 400+hp with a b16 head fully built...But the exhaust wasn't hooked up right after the downpipe from the turbo. I bought it the other day down in texas and drove it back home to vermont. Approx 2300 miles, quite a haul. I got through texas in a little less than a day and breezed along through the night.

About halfway through the trip it started to misfire and backfire terribly around 6000rpm. Then it got worse througout the trip and wouldn't let me get past 4000rpm. Yeah you guys probably would have turned off the engine at that point, but I had only 700 dollars with me and we were 2000 miles away from home with no tools except simple wrenches. So we didn't have much we could do.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out so I don't go dropping all my money into buying a handful of new parts. My friends dad (mechanic) looked at the distributer and some parts were pretty loose so he did a small fix and fixed some of the wires coming from the MSD-6AL system that the guy I bought it from put in there. The car ran a little better after that, but not a whole lot, still wouldn't let me get past 6000rpm.

I'm probably going to end up buying a new distributer anyways but I'm not sure what I should get, I read up on the OBD1 B16 distributer but then I saw something about a OBD2, I'm not sure what the difference is...

SOMEBODY HELP ME I NEED THIS CAR RUNNING BY THE END OF THE WEEK FOR WORK!

Edit: If you have any other questions about the setup or questions about what else I have and will give you a better idea on what could be wrong just ask...I really need to get this fixed. It's my only ride!

Ps. And also the tachomter seemed like it was freely jumping from 3-5 or 3-4 grand every now and then but I'm not sure if that had to do with the misfire, it seemed like it was doing it even when it wasn't misfiring.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18B1 Turbo Misfire... (Quatakai)

from what your describing....whacky tach, misfires, and msd...i'd say its your ignitor. also hows the condition of your plugs? wires? cap? rotor? what plugs? resistor or non resistor type?
Old 09-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18B1 Turbo Misfire... (AkumaY)

Well we checked all that and everything seems to be "ok" there are a few things that my friends dad said could definitly be the problem and it's because the rotor is a little loose and slightly rusty...I couldn't tell you off the top of my head the what plugs they are...
Old 09-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I'm getting a new distributor which one should I get, I'm having trouble finding one on sites to buy...
Old 09-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quatakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I'm getting a new distributor which one should I get, I'm having trouble finding one on sites to buy...</TD></TR></TABLE>

oem. you will be fine with oem plugwires and distributor w/o the msd. just get maybe a 7 or 8 heat range plug and gap it down, maybe .022-.026"...
Old 09-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18B1 Turbo Misfire... (blackeg)

Well, I hate to sound like a goon, I'm still learning about all this stuff, but if you could help me find a link or something towards what I need to get, that would be extremely helpful...
Old 09-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i notice when I ran a "cooler" plug I misfired also.... I've got a stock b18b... so I reverted back to stock plugs.

just as a check, can you run a stock setup?
Old 09-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (scartail)

No, I don't think I can run a stock setup...for plugs if you mean, I just got what I got with the car...
Old 09-13-2006, 05:05 AM

Default Re: (Quatakai)

i was having the same problem last night in my car.. the car missed at 4k but really didnt wanna go higher.i changed my map on my hondata,and it got better.it was def. an injector problem because i had dsms and it ran fine,then i put a set of 770s and the car runs alright but likes to pop when i let off the gas and it idles different. getting the car tuned out saturday..but i would def. check your injectors maybe a wire connection ,,hey its worth a shot i know when turboing hondas most of the time your changing injector plugs
Old 09-13-2006, 06:11 AM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

sounds like dizzy problems, or a bad ground. when my ground on the thermostat housing was loose it started mis-firing