Notices

B18a block, oil temp sender in oil galley plugs ok to remove??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18a block, oil temp sender in oil galley plugs ok to remove??

hey i have a 90-93 style b18a block, and i'm wanting to remove the 2 plugs in the back of the block to run the breather lines to my catch can using the honda fittings. anyway there is a sensor in one of the plugs which i guess is the oil temperature sender, which turns on the fan at a certain temp. i searched and read that it might be part of the a/c system.

i was wondering if anybody has just removed this, and been fine, or should i leave it and just run 1 breather line off the back of the block.

the motor is in a 91 civic dx, and i did wire a plug to it, but i have no idea if it is actually doing its job, haha.

any help is appreciated!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18a block, oil temp sender in oil galley plugs ok to remove?? (speeddave)

anybody just put a big fitting on their black box and run that to a catchcan?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: B18a block, oil temp sender in oil galley plugs ok to remove?? (speeddave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speeddave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... there is a sensor in one of the plugs which i guess is the oil temperature sender, which turns on the fan at a certain temp. i searched and read that it might be part of the a/c system ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sensor will run the A/C fan for 15 mins. on the 90-93 Integras (where the engine came from) if the oil is over a certain temperature at shutdown to reduce underhood temps. Safe to remove -- if your chassis has provisions for this feature, you can jump the pins on the connector to force it to run at each shutdown, or you could wire a switch to it. Or leave it alone.

If the chassis doesn't support this, the sensor serves no purpose and can be removed.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need to remove it.It has nothing to do with the breather at all.Should be a coolant temp sensor,oil pressure sensor(remove for lsvtec) and two plugs to remove for the breather.A big breather hole that needs to be plugged.And lastly a small tube at the top of the block for PCV.I used the oil pressure sensor to plug the pcv because Im running a closed system and I need the port for lsvtec.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18a block, oil temp sender in oil galley plugs ok to remove?? (acy76)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acy76 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That sensor will run the A/C fan for 15 mins. on the 90-93 Integras (where the engine came from) if the oil is over a certain temperature at shutdown to reduce underhood temps. Safe to remove -- if your chassis has provisions for this feature, you can jump the pins on the connector to force it to run at each shutdown, or you could wire a switch to it. Or leave it alone.

If the chassis doesn't support this, the sensor serves no purpose and can be removed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm not sure if my car supports it, it does not come stock w/a/c. but it did have a plug for the sensor, plus i dont remember the fan running for that long after shutdown. hmm, thanks for your info!! is there anyway i can check to see if my car has this feature w/o running it?

cloner the sensor i am talking about is in the hex gallery plug.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:19 PM

If you have wiring to connect to the sensor, you may have it. I am pretty sure only the 2nd gen Integra chassis had this. Bear in mind that this sensor is the same one used as the coolant fan switch on later B18s (but placed on the water neck instead), so the wiring may fit but not be in the correct location.

If it were mine, I'd pull the hex plug and install the breather. I did, and I've got a 2nd gen Integra myself. Some day, I'll jump the terminals and get the fan running on hot days.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18a block, oil temp sender in oil galley plugs ok to remove?? (acy76)

cool thanks for your help!