Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   B18 turbo camshaft help (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/b18-turbo-camshaft-help-3260656/)

forryk 10-06-2015 01:56 PM

B18 turbo camshaft help

Hey guys!

Been looking around for some camshafts for some while now...
My first choice was to go with some ITR/CTR cams but they're about the same price as aftermarket cams.

What i'm looking for is a camshaft that will work for my daily driving and close to stock idle.

Engine is fully built with 9:1 CR and supertech springs with OEM retainers. Running around 14-16psi.

Thankful for some input!

TheShodan 10-06-2015 02:24 PM

Re: B18 turbo camshaft help

Stock Idle = Stock camshafts. That's what you go with. PSI is irrelevant without CFM size of turbocharger. That could mean anything.

That's why you've been searching for a while. REAL turbo camshafts don't have stock idle characteristics. Your best bet is GS-R (VTi-R), ITR, or Skunk2 Tuner 1s.

That's it.

/thread

forryk 10-06-2015 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 50565288)
Stock Idle = Stock camshafts. That's what you go with. PSI is irrelevant without CFM size of turbocharger. That could mean anything.

That's why you've been searching for a while. REAL turbo camshafts don't have stock idle characteristics. Your best bet is GS-R (VTi-R), ITR, or Skunk2 Tuner 1s.

That's it.

/thread

Sorry forgot the turbo.... It's a TD05 18G. I know they dont have stock idle characteristics but something that's close enough so they wont drive me crazy for daily driving.
And should have been more clear, i'm not looking for a specific turbo camshaft. Been looking more towards N/A camshafts since i' not running that high boost.

TheShodan 10-06-2015 03:03 PM

Running HIGH BOOST is not the only reason for a turbo purpose camshaft. Especially in a Honda. It helps with higher power, but are created for other behavioural characteristics as well.

But, that's not important.. Here's what you're asking for. like I said, you're best with the original suggestions in order of capability with the valvetrain you currently have.

1 - Skunk2 Tuner 1 (not PRO 1, there's a big difference)

2 - CTR / 00-01 ITR camshaft

3 - GS-R (VTi-R)

wantboost 10-06-2015 03:33 PM

A TD05H-18G doesn't really need cams. Stock cams are more than enough for the power capabilites of the turbocharger.

And I'm assuming you have a vtec head correct?

forryk 10-07-2015 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by wantboost (Post 50565392)
A TD05H-18G doesn't really need cams. Stock cams are more than enough for the power capabilites of the turbocharger.

And I'm assuming you have a vtec head correct?

Yeah, running a P72 head atm. When i bought the car there was some Skunk2 pro1 cams in it and the OEM cams was sold. So i guess i need to find a new set of ITR or GSR cams then...

wantboost 10-07-2015 06:15 AM

Lol Pro1s on an 18G. That's about as overkill as a 400hp 6262 setup. A set of GSRs will be more than adequate. If you just need a set of cams to get it running I've got a pair of B16 and B17 cams with stock gears I would sell you a pair stupid cheap to help you out.

What all has been done as far the exhaust setup? Ultimately the turbine wheel is what will limit you. The included wastegate actuator with the 18G doesn't like to run high pressures much over 14psi. Also the Greddy outlet elbow and tiny downpipe make it even worse. Running a Turbosmart dual port actuator and replacing the elbow/downpipe with a full 3" will make a night and day difference with power and response.

The 18G is a very capable compressor wheel capable of a max flow of roughly 50lb/min.

It has possibly the largest center efficiency island I have ever seen for ANY compressor wheel and I've seen a lot of maps lol. 75% from roughly 1.29PR (4.2psi) to 2.6PR (23.2psi)

Here's the compressor map

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...D06-18GMap.jpg

What limits it is the TD05H turbine wheel. To give you an idea the D series guys running it have no problem making 380-400whp or slightly more. After that point the turbine wheel flow maxes out.

You could replace it with the higher flowing 9 bladed direct replacement TD05H turbine wheel for or move up to a TD06SL2 turbine wheel and buy a pre-machined turbine housing or get the current one machined (I have a source tha could probably do it for 30 plus shipping).

The larger TD06 based wheel would let you use all of the compressor wheels airflow. Also putting a larger TD06 compressor housing on it would help even more. They are also direct replacement.

If you wanted even more airflow and efficiency (15%-20% or so) you could replace the wheel with a direct replacement billet 18G wheel with more aggressive aerodynamics and extended tips.

Greddy paired the turbocharger wheels and housings like they did to get the fastest response while making safe reliable power on a stock engine. Granted when they released it E85 didn't exist and engine management was no where near as advanced as it is today.

For a relatively small investment you could have a killer street turbo that can make fairly decent power with crazy strong midrange. Also doing things like porting the wastegate port and gasket matching everything greatly helps boost control and gains some efficiency. Don't get me wrong the TD05H-18G is an amazing turbo from the start but you can easily make it much better.

When I got my B Greddy turbo manifold every port was horribly undersized even compared to the OEM cylinder head ports.

If you want any help or guidance dont hesitate to ask.

wantboost 10-07-2015 06:17 AM

If I could find a legit MHI 18G at a good price I would buy it and hold into it just because. That's how much I like them even though I have 23 turbos sitting in the garage lol.

NotARaCist 10-07-2015 11:58 AM

Crower stage 2 NA cams are also a good option.

forryk 10-07-2015 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by wantboost (Post 50566129)
Lol Pro1s on an 18G. That's about as overkill as a 400hp 6262 setup. A set of GSRs will be more than adequate. If you just need a set of cams to get it running I've got a pair of B16 and B17 cams with stock gears I would sell you a pair stupid cheap to help you out.

What all has been done as far the exhaust setup? Ultimately the turbine wheel is what will limit you. The included wastegate actuator with the 18G doesn't like to run high pressures much over 14psi. Also the Greddy outlet elbow and tiny downpipe make it even worse. Running a Turbosmart dual port actuator and replacing the elbow/downpipe with a full 3" will make a night and day difference with power and response.

The 18G is a very capable compressor wheel capable of a max flow of roughly 50lb/min.

It has possibly the largest center efficiency island I have ever seen for ANY compressor wheel and I've seen a lot of maps lol. 75% from roughly 1.29PR (4.2psi) to 2.6PR (23.2psi)

Here's the compressor map

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...D06-18GMap.jpg

What limits it is the TD05H turbine wheel. To give you an idea the D series guys running it have no problem making 380-400whp or slightly more. After that point the turbine wheel flow maxes out.

You could replace it with the higher flowing 9 bladed direct replacement TD05H turbine wheel for or move up to a TD06SL2 turbine wheel and buy a pre-machined turbine housing or get the current one machined (I have a source tha could probably do it for 30 plus shipping).

The larger TD06 based wheel would let you use all of the compressor wheels airflow. Also putting a larger TD06 compressor housing on it would help even more. They are also direct replacement.

If you wanted even more airflow and efficiency (15%-20% or so) you could replace the wheel with a direct replacement billet 18G wheel with more aggressive aerodynamics and extended tips.

Greddy paired the turbocharger wheels and housings like they did to get the fastest response while making safe reliable power on a stock engine. Granted when they released it E85 didn't exist and engine management was no where near as advanced as it is today.

For a relatively small investment you could have a killer street turbo that can make fairly decent power with crazy strong midrange. Also doing things like porting the wastegate port and gasket matching everything greatly helps boost control and gains some efficiency. Don't get me wrong the TD05H-18G is an amazing turbo from the start but you can easily make it much better.

When I got my B Greddy turbo manifold every port was horribly undersized even compared to the OEM cylinder head ports.

If you want any help or guidance dont hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the info! Yeah you gotta love the 18G, had some other turbos also but nothing as good!
Running full 3" from the turbo atm and haven't had any plans for the turbo till i saw you information :) Definitely gona look into the turbo now!

TheShodan 10-07-2015 01:04 PM

Just remember, that he's referring to the TD05H-18G that came with the GReddy Kit only.
The compressor wheel is an 18G, the turbine wheel is a GT2860R Garrett. It is considered to be a hybrid turbocharger, and comes in the GT28-style turbine housing.

TD05H - 18G at 41lbs/min
http://www.frsport.com/images/detail...os_MG02-01.jpg

In its full form.
http://images52.fotki.com/v726/photo...-vi.jpg?500375

This is the mitsubishi FULL turbo that uses a different turbine wheel (Mitsu SL2) and turbine housing that doesn't fit the GT Turbine housing.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...8G6SL2_005.jpg

Are the better turbos out there? yes. Do you have to pay a LOT more to get those better alternatives vs. this? Yes.. Can you buy this new? You can but you pay more than you would the better alternatives..

forryk 10-07-2015 01:23 PM

Yeah, this turbo came with a kit. Just bought the turbo from the kit, just checked it out and it's TD05H 18G.