Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   B16B Turbo Build Need Turbo Advice! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/b16b-turbo-build-need-turbo-advice-3336069/)

93grayeg 04-16-2019 08:01 AM

B16B Turbo Build Need Turbo Advice!

Hey guys been awhile!

Looking for some solid advice. Planning on putting together a A/C Compatible turbo set up in my 99 hatchback w/ Complete Stock Low mileage B16B.

planning to Use a Go-Autoworks Cast manifold / Tial 38 MVS, Walbro 255, Id injectors, ETC. Looking to make around 300whp on 93 octane. I feel like this is a easy goal on a stock motor.

Now the main Question.. Which Budget friendly turbo should i look into? Something around the $500-$800 Price range.. Does Borg Warner offer something? Ill be the first to admit im from a expert when it comes to choosing a turbo.

Thanks for any help!

Shaun :)

Chance EG 04-16-2019 01:00 PM

Re: B16B Turbo Build Need Turbo Advice!

BorgWarner is not used frequently on our platforms. The CHRA and housing configurations/sizes frequently lead to fitment problems with most manifolds.

Avoid Precision journal bearings.

I'd recommend looking into the Garrett T series (GT28) or the T3/T04E 50 trim. Note that there is a difference between the GT28 (journal bearing) and GT28RS (ball bearing, increased price).

Don't forget you'll also need Hondata or Neptune, an upgraded clutch (you can get away in your case with simply upgrading the pressure plate and keeping your current organic clutch if it still has good life left), and etc for supporting mods.

Txdragon 04-16-2019 08:09 PM

^^^ Gt2860RS.. Beautiful little turbo for that level. The cast manifold is flanged for bolted wastegate, the Tial MVS is V-band. Now there are adapters available to go from 2 bolt to v-band but, you may have hood clearance issues.. The MVS is pretty short so you may be able to use it that way still. :shrug:

Autoworks 04-17-2019 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chance EG (Post 51911525)
BorgWarner is not used frequently on our platforms. The CHRA and housing configurations/sizes frequently lead to fitment problems with most manifolds.

Avoid Precision journal bearings.

I'd recommend looking into the Garrett T series (GT28) or the T3/T04E 50 trim. Note that there is a difference between the GT28 (journal bearing) and GT28RS (ball bearing, increased price).

Don't forget you'll also need Hondata or Neptune, an upgraded clutch (you can get away in your case with simply upgrading the pressure plate and keeping your current organic clutch if it still has good life left), and etc for supporting mods.

Honestly, I've had no issues reported w/ PTE entry level units within the past several months...which is the main part of the PTE line I use (which I've also had PTE shipments come in direct from Turbonetics, which may have quite a bit to do with that...who knows). The PTE 4831B specifically is what I use the most of in this exact application.
Keeping a/c in tact there you want to go T04b w/ 5 bolt turbine housing. In that $5-900 range for 300hp you do have the JB GT28 available that will support it w/ about 20hp to spare in a real world app. Note, the JB GT28 is a different turbo than the GT2860RS, not just a bearing cartridge difference. If you could get a few hundred more in the top end of that budget then you could also step up to ball bearing (Turbonetics TNX or Garrett 2860); which both would also require water lines to be added.

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51911711)
^^^ Gt2860RS.. Beautiful little turbo for that level. The cast manifold is flanged for bolted wastegate, the Tial MVS is V-band. Now there are adapters available to go from 2 bolt to v-band but, you may have hood clearance issues.. The MVS is pretty short so you may be able to use it that way still. :shrug:

We make/sell the F38 to MVS adapters; which when combined together are still physically shorter than a F38 gate (F38 being 2 bolt 38mm gate)