Notices

B16a3 build, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16a3 build, need suggestions

Alright, I was able to obtain a b16 with high miles for a very good price. it was in running condition when i bought it. My plans are to turbo it, BUT I want to build it first. Sleeves, low compression pistons, new crank, new rods, racing cams, and all new other parts. any suggestions on parts and where to get them for a good price. Also any other suggestions
Old 07-17-2005, 03:58 PM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B16a3 build, need suggestions (94sol)

How much power are you looking for?

The basics would be, benson or golden eagle sleeves 83-84mm bore, cp wiseco, je pistons, eagle, manley, pauter rods, stock crank, itr or ctr cams, rev or whatever valvetrain you wanna go with...

If you look in the marketplace forums or the sponsor line up right here on honda-tech there is some good deals on all of those parts.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:25 AM

What about darton sleeves? i saw them, and head good things about them...but i've also heard good things about the other two listed.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How fast and how much power ya want, also the biggest question...including everything....the engine build AND the turbo setup...how much ya want to spend?
Old 07-19-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: B16a3 build, need suggestions (quik sol)

well i'd like to get above 400hp. i'm not sure exactly what I want to spend, of course i don't want to spend alot, but it will come down to that.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try contacting earl on H-T, if you cant IM him do a search for his username and send him an e-mail. He has a block deal so just IM him for prices and more info, but here is a list of stuff you get:

Benson Sleeves install/cylinder hone (sleeved by Dan Benson himself)
Benson balanced/micropolished crank
CP Pistons and rings
Pauter Rods (if he has them available)
ACL bearings
OEM oil/water pump
Gasket/seal set
Blue print and assembly
USA (lower 48) delivery

He can also substitute Manleys, or Eagle rods instead of Pauter just ask for which one you want. You might also be able to get RS machining to install the sleeves, but you'll have to ask earl about that.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16a3 build, need suggestions (BlueShadow)

400whp, ya wont need sleeves then...just grab some cp pistons. eagle rods, some mild head work...maybe a omnipower valve spring/retainer set....then move onto like a nuekin manifold, gt32e turbo, tial wg, spearco intercooler, any bov, 3 inch dp, 3 inch exhaust system, and some good tuning...

tada 400whp easy...lol...
Old 07-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: B16a3 build, need suggestions (quik sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quik sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">400whp, ya wont need sleeves then...just grab some cp pistons. eagle rods, some mild head work...maybe a omnipower valve spring/retainer set....then move onto like a nuekin manifold, gt32e turbo, tial wg, spearco intercooler, any bov, 3 inch dp, 3 inch exhaust system, and some good tuning...

tada 400whp easy...lol...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The way I see it is if you are in there swapping out the internals, then you might as well. It's only $800-$1050 for sleeves, and the good thing about sleeving is you can go with a bigger bore diameter which will give you a bigger displacement.

Earl is sleeving and building my B18C block for me, and he suggested an 83mm bore and an LS crank. He says this will bump me up to 1925cc's. An 84mm bore size would have given me a 1975cc (ish) displacement, but I felt that 83mm was good enough.

But yah, if he has a budget then he could stick to stock sleeves. Just as long as his tuner knows what they are doing otherwise he'll get cracked sleeves.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: B16a3 build, need suggestions (BlueShadow)

understand a fully assembled motor with a turbo kit and fuel manegement and your looking at way over 5,000 for the kind of **** these people are talking about. were talking probably close to 2500-3000 for the assembled shortblock. Add another couple thousand for head parts and some machinework. Slap together a 4000 dollar turbo kit with some nice high quality parts (i mean you do have a sleeved block and a fully built head) then another 1500 in an EMS and gauges.

the basics are 250-300whp with a t3/t4 .63ar 3" downpipe/exhaust. crome and a wideband. 200 dolllar ebay intercooler. Your car will be pleanty fast, lots of fun. start small! a sleeved block is not a first step.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16a3 build, need suggestions (Si Shane)

you can run 8000 easy on engine and turbo parts...but thats for a 600-700whp setup...

if hes only looking for 400whp...and not looking to spend much money...i would recommend my idea...i mean sleeves are nice and all...but not needed for his hp range...
Old 07-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16a3 build, need suggestions (Adi Raaa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Adi Raaa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much power are you looking for?

The basics would be, benson or golden eagle sleeves 83-84mm bore, ...
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats wrong with stock bore!?!

I'd sleeve it regardless... but i'd run a stock bore...it leaves alot more room when it comes to the rebuild
Old 07-19-2005, 10:55 PM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B16a3 build, need suggestions (JDMisGOOD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMisGOOD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

whats wrong with stock bore!?!

I'd sleeve it regardless... but i'd run a stock bore...it leaves alot more room when it comes to the rebuild </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, how many times does he need to rebuild the motor? If you did .20 over on a 83mm bore you still have 4 rebuilds left in it before you can sell it to the all motor guys.
To be ohnest to the guy I wouldn't even **** with a b16 if he is gona spend 2k on the block alone go with a b18c/b spend the extra $350 to get the block. Its easyer making power on a 1.8 than the weak sauce 1.6.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:36 AM

i was under the impression you needed sleeves to run higher boost. also sleeves would be more reliable then the stock ones with high miles on them?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Re: (94sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was under the impression you needed sleeves to run higher boost. also sleeves would be more reliable then the stock ones with high miles on them?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can easily make 500 whp on stock sleeves with a good tune, but if you want to stay safe, keep it around 400 whp. Make sure that you run a blockguard also.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:13 AM

well if i make my goal of 400hp, will i want more then that later? that is one reason why i want to sleeve the engine now while it will be apart.

blockguard?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if i make my goal of 400hp, will i want more then that later? that is one reason why i want to sleeve the engine now while it will be apart.

blockguard?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My car is making 405 hp and it is fun as hell. I typically drive it around with the boost setting around 330 whp and that is fun on the street. Honestly, you will probably want more after a while and even if you sleeve it you will want more. There is always someone faster that makes you want more.

Click on the blockguard portion of Golden Eagles site http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com/street.html and it will tell you about the product. If you use it, just make sure you install it before your machine work is done and it will work well.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: (tthame1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tthame1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can easily make 500 whp on stock sleeves with a good tune, but if you want to stay safe, keep it around 400 whp. Make sure that you run a blockguard also.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd recommend against a blockguard since they take away coolant passages.

And I would also recommend that you DO sleeve. Stock sleeves can take it, yes, but for how long? A few detonations (not that you ever PLAN on detonating, but it can happen) and your stock sleeves are toast.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:25 AM

what about size of the pistons heads. I was thinking about 84mm? is that to big? what are the benifits of having a bigger size as to having a smaller size? I mean i know it will give more hp...but if it does why would everyone do a bigger size if that was the case, if they were sleeving
Old 07-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pa_itr)

ok, 400whp is plenty for a street car, also...stay stock sleeves UNLESS ya got an extra 1000.00 bucks hanging around....dont worry about headwork...stock head will work fine...unless ya wanna rev the **** out of it then do some mild stuff to it...

Also dont even worry about a block guard...theres plenty of super high hp cars without them on stock sleeves....take for instence: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1267344
Old 07-21-2005, 10:28 AM

83mm is what I would do. You need to leave yourself room for another bore in case something goes awry.

If you bore it out, you better sleeve...that is too thin on stock sleeves for my liking.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: (pa_itr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pa_itr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'd recommend against a blockguard since they take away coolant passages.

And I would also recommend that you DO sleeve. Stock sleeves can take it, yes, but for how long? A few detonations (not that you ever PLAN on detonating, but it can happen) and your stock sleeves are toast.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, then what sleeves would you recommend? Because almost every single sleeve manufacturer uses braces that block coolant passages just about as much as a blockguard. Do what you want, but I haven't had any trouble with my blockguard and it definately braces the sleeves much better having nothing there at all. Stock sleeves can take the abuse for quite a long time. You just need to make sure that you have a good tuner that doesn't try to get overly aggressive with it.

Also, I agree with the other guy. 400 whp is PLENTY on the street. Any more than that is really a waste unless you plan on going to the track often.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:50 PM

I get all my pistons/rods from http://raceeng.com.. they are good people.. good deals also...

I also recommend:
-to upgrade your radiator... C&R radiators are wonderful

-ERL's aquamist water injection... http://www.aquamist.co.uk/
... "Water injection will not increase the power normally. But in countries where the ambient temperature is very high, injecting water will lower the inlet charge temperature and produces power increase."

-EGT gauge
Old 07-21-2005, 03:37 PM

I'd just like to point out that I'm going to get sleeves, so we really don't need to discuse if we need sleeves or not. I do appreciate all the help but i'm set on getting sleeves b/c i might change my mind on how much HP i want later, people change there minds down the road and i don't want to take down the engine again.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:14 AM

If you can afford it, more power to you
I would have sleeved if I would have had the extra cash.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What part of PA. are you located? Are you planning to build it yourself? There may be some good shops in your area. If your starting with a B16 you can deckplate it and use an LS or GSR crank and rods. It sounds to me like your planning to want more HP down the road.

Quick Reply: B16a3 build, need suggestions