Notices

b16A2 questions . Dsm turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16A2 questions . Dsm turbos

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and acquired a DD 99 hatch with a em1 B16a2. It has gsr trans, DC headers along with an intake. I am originally a dsm'r and still own a galant vr4 and had 2 eclipse gsx and another vr4. I have seen a couple threads about putting a 14b on a B16 and some say it's too small and will lose power up top. I have no need to make a race car and am looking for a bit more power, maybe 250-300whp and I know the 14b can do this on dsms. Anyways who has done this combination and what did you do as far as down pipe and manifold? I already have dsm 450cc, the 14b which I want to port my 14b as well if it makes it better. My car also has power steering and was hoping I could save that as well. Please let me know what needs to be done and if it'll do what I want. Thanks again
-shane
Old 09-23-2013, 04:41 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: b16A2 questions . Dsm turbos

Unfortunately, B16 cylinder heads will outflow even that 14B turbocharger. You won't make that power with a 14b unfortunately. (from one former DSMer to another). This is why you won't see any feedback regarding this. Too much work to integrate a radius flange onto most manifolds, which is why here, its mainly T3 flanging.

14b at 300AWHP, is running past its real efficiency range even in DSM world. You could have the full mustard. (Dejon tool intake, 550cc, AFC, etc) and that's a lot to make that work.

For B16s most only use the 16G6 from the Evolution 8. that's as far as the Mitsu/Honda world really crosses.

I wish you luck, though.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the headsup. Is there a manifold out there for the Evo 16g to mate to the b16 head?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not off the shelf but a few companies make divided manifolds for the twin scroll evo4-8 and evo9 turbos on an as ordered basis. They are built to order, not readily stocked on a shelf

You can run a standard dsm big 16g and get the same results as the evo4-9 turbos just use a reverse rotation big 16g compressor wheel

On dsm turbos it's the turbine side that causes issues. You'll need at least a td05-td05h turbine wheel to be able to utilize the compressor wheels total ability. This will get you to roughly 300-330hp abd then it's tapped out

Or you could do a td06 or td06h turbine wheel with a 20g compressor. This turbo will make your goals and give you some room to grow in the future, also the lag is minimal when compared to a big 16g turbo

Iirc a good number of companies make b series turbo manifolds with the standard dsm turbine inlet flange (like the turbos on 1g and 2g 4g63 dsms)
Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh ok, I have a EvoIII16G on my galant I am about to pull off to go HX-35/40 so maybe I'll throw it on my civic. I've seen the manifolds for the dsm turbos but none are cast =\. What do you guys do about the o2 housing from a dsm as that is what we use to connect to the downpipes. Does the intake side face driver or passenger side?

PS, I'm looking for 250-300whp reliable . The 14b is a TD05h as you suggested.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

They make flanges for the outlets on dsm turbos so you don't need an o2 housing
Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a used B series mani for an EVO turbo sitting in the showcase. PM me if you have some questions
Old 09-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
They make flanges for the outlets on dsm turbos so you don't need an o2 housing
Would you be able to link me to what you're talking about? I also want to retain power steering. Any idea which way the turbo sits? Thanks
Old 09-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If someone can build a kit for under $700 that'd be great. Let me know what I would need and preferably parts that are proven. Again not looking for crazy power , just more then I have right now.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

A clutch will run you 350 alone... then there's the fuel pump, injectors, engine management, etc. You're looking at at least 700 for everything I just mentioned without even bringing a single turbo component in the mix (manifold, turbo, downpipe, 3" exhaust, intercooler piping, couplers, t-bolt clamps, intercooler, blow off valve, boost controller etc)
Old 09-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh damn, didn't realize the honda turbo game was so expensive . Makes me feel thankful for stock turbos lol.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Hondas are among some of the cheapest cars to boost and make huge power in terms of the parts needed
Old 09-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hondas are among some of the cheapest cars to boost and make huge power in terms of the parts needed
Yup. Take a look at a car with a carb and see what a pain those are to tune. The price shoots up. Also, hondas have some of the most aftermarket support around. You don't really get much cheaper. That is, aside from a car that came stock and all you are doing is replacing the stock turbo with a larger one.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol yea, I've never boosted an NA car before. I've always bought factory turbo cars.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Originally Posted by Freemananana
Yup. Take a look at a car with a carb and see what a pain those are to tune. The price shoots up. Also, hondas have some of the most aftermarket support around. You don't really get much cheaper. That is, aside from a car that came stock and all you are doing is replacing the stock turbo with a larger one.
Yes... and while the Honda aftermarket has plenty of reputable companies that offer quality parts, sadly it has become flooded with cheap copies, fakes, and a flood of Chinese/Taiwanese parts that are absolute **** with a very low price point... and being that most Honda owners are poor high school/college kids and just plain cheap asses, they look at price first and never consider quality, which is why the fakes/copies and **** parts will continue to flood the market and strengthen the companies abilities to produce new parts with absolutely no concern for quality
Old 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes... and while the Honda aftermarket has plenty of reputable companies that offer quality parts, sadly it has become flooded with cheap copies, fakes, and a flood of Chinese/Taiwanese parts that are absolute **** with a very low price point... and being that most Honda owners are poor high school/college kids and just plain cheap asses, they look at price first and never consider quality, which is why the fakes/copies and **** parts will continue to flood the market and strengthen the companies abilities to produce new parts with absolutely no concern for quality
Yup. I agree. I'm cheap. It's a shame that crap does flood the market.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Here's a perfect example...

Most of the Chinese turbo companies can produce 2,000 units per week of EACH MODEL THEY'VE COPIED. Shops in the US can't even come close to that level of mass production. Now you know why they can sell the so cheap and still turn a massive profit just off of 1 unit
Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a perfect example...

Most of the Chinese turbo companies can produce 2,000 units per week of EACH MODEL THEY'VE COPIED. Shops in the US can't even come close to that level of mass production. Now you know why they can sell the so cheap and still turn a massive profit just off of 1 unit
I'm Chinese, and I know that they have lots more people working these factories then the factories in the US. I also know that Chinese stuff isn't on par but Taiwan is coming up as far as turbos. I've had a Evo 16g GT with the cast 7cm housing and that thing uses all MHI rebuild parts and is still running after 4 years
Old 09-27-2013, 01:21 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by Brunoboy
I'm Chinese,
your ethnicity isnt needed...

I also know that Chinese stuff isn't on par but Taiwan is coming up as far as turbos. I've had a Evo 16g GT with the cast 7cm housing and that thing uses all MHI rebuild parts and is still running after 4 years
i hear what your saying here, but i still dont believe in buying a cheap product just to change the internals to make be more like the real thing. just my thoughts.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm Chinese, and I know that they have lots more people working these factories then the factories in the US. I also know that Chinese stuff isn't on par but Taiwan is coming up as far as turbos. I've had a Evo 16g GT with the cast 7cm housing and that thing uses all MHI rebuild parts and is still running after 4 years
I don't really care where it is made. The transmission out of most 'American' made trucks comes from Mexico. Much of everything consumers buy come from China. The issue here is that cheaper products often cut corners and don't have any engineering behind their product. You can cast a mold of something good and still fill it with crap.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justYncredible
your ethnicity isnt needed...

i hear what your saying here, but i still dont believe in buying a cheap product just to change the internals to make be more like the real thing. just my thoughts.
I didn't change the internals, I'm saying if needed it fits. The Evo3GT was one of maybe the only Taiwan turbos that has held up against the time on Dsms and have been sold by reputable companies because of the reliability and power it made for the price.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

He is right. The evo3 gt was torture tested on a turbo dyno forever

It was probably one of the best turbos as far as quality. Although the project was initiated by an American company. At first the turbos were fine then something happened and they all started failing. Something about changing factories or something
Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, talked to Phil at Spoolin and asked what he thought would be a good budget turbo for his log manifold and he said T3 Super 60. Now who makes these and where can I get one? What's the normal avg cost of a used one?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Ok, talked to Phil at Spoolin and asked what he thought would be a good budget turbo for his log manifold and he said T3 Super 60. Now who makes these and where can I get one? What's the normal avg cost of a used one?
Those are about $675 internally gated. And finding them used is really tough because people use and keep those ALL DAY LONG...

Best to get new and get it over with.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it cheaper externally gated? I already have a 38mm ext wg from the dsm days. Do these come from any stock cars? And what company would you recommend?

Quick Reply: b16A2 questions . Dsm turbos