Notices

B16A Turbo Build. What turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A Turbo Build. What turbo?

Hey guys I've done tons of research but even still I'm still torn between the gt28 and a t3/t04e 50 trim because everyone has slightly different goals and maybe one of the turbo gurus could give an experienced suggestion. My goals are 300 whp.

Wiseco 9:1 pistons
Stock B16A rods (shotpeened) and arp rod bolts
ITR cams with dual springs
Ramhorn Manifold (Haven't decided which brand)
3 inch downpipe in 3 inch dual magnaflow exhaust
RC 550 cc injectors
Hondata s300

My main concern with my turbo selection is spool time combined with top end power. I really want fairly early spool that will hold all the way until my 9 grand redline. I'm after a really nice balanced street set up with little to no lag. I will also track the car a few times a year. Anyone have any good suggestions?
Old 04-10-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: B16A Turbo Build. What turbo?

Don't do the "ramhorn", it kills off the responsiveness is what you want.
What's your budget, and downpipe flange ? There are over 5 to 7 possibilities alone I can think of. Can you be more specific?

Last edited by TheShodan; 04-10-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have run the GT2860RS on two different B16A's and it was my favorite setup. Both had T3 exhaust housings and ramhorm manifolds. Response and spool made it a total blast to drive.

One of the setups was almost identical to what you listed with the exception of the injectors.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:06 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, you almost can't go wrong with a 1.6L and a disco potato. Depending on your power goals, a 15G might keep you pretty happy as well.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I was hoping you respond Shodan, you seem to be very smart. My budget is about 3 to 4 k depending on how work goes. Maybe give me some suggestions. The t3/t4 combo im thinking the 50 trim compressor wheel and 76 trim turbine wheel. The housing on turbine side will be .63 ar or .48 ar. To many options I just want to feel them haha. Also maybe a t4 exhaust flange downpipe.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Xanthias
Hey guys I've done tons of research but even still I'm still torn between the gt28 and a t3/t04e 50 trim because everyone has slightly different goals and maybe one of the turbo gurus could give an experienced suggestion. My goals are 300 whp.

Wiseco 9:1 pistons
Stock B16A rods (shotpeened) and arp rod bolts
ITR cams with dual springs
Ramhorn Manifold (Haven't decided which brand)
3 inch downpipe in 3 inch dual magnaflow exhaust
RC 550 cc injectors
Hondata s300

My main concern with my turbo selection is spool time combined with top end power. I really want fairly early spool that will hold all the way until my 9 grand redline. I'm after a really nice balanced street set up with little to no lag. I will also track the car a few times a year. Anyone have any good suggestions?
i prefer T04e 50tim for your application, but if you have money to spend i would suggest the GTX2867R. because it has power as T04e 50 trim and response as disco-potato...
Old 04-11-2014, 07:10 AM

Hey I was hoping you respond Shodan, you seem to be very smart. My budget is about 3 to 4 k depending on how work goes. Maybe give me some suggestions. The t3/t4 combo im thinking the 50 trim compressor wheel and 76 trim turbine wheel. The housing on turbine side will be .63 ar or .48 ar. To many options I just want to feel them haha. Also maybe a t4 exhaust flange downpipe.
I wish I could say I was "smart". I just know a few things about turbos more than the average bear due to my experiences over a number of years.

I'd check my recommendations on this thread here, (post #12) although they were geared more for several types of racing.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/t3-t04e-50-trim-63-r-vs-disco-potato-3202816/

Check to see if the two of you have similar goals and purposes. But it seems to the two of your share the same logic. Now if the budget for the turbocharger itself is limited, the number of choices really starts to go down. But I think that the T3/T04E 50 trim, although a great reliable usable horse, has been outdated and newer designs have become available, even for the same lbs/min that the 50 trim has. So, take a look.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Swaggylicious

NOT the PTE 5431B that I have

I feel like i've made a wrong decision and now am stuck with a laggy b16 lol

it makes 300 but in the upper rpm range
Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you decide to get away from the ramhorn im selling a spoolin performance tubular log manifold. Pm me if your interested.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by $amGD3
NOT the PTE 5431B that I have

I feel like i've made a wrong decision and now am stuck with a laggy b16 lol

it makes 300 but in the upper rpm range
That may be due to some other effects that you may not be aware of. remember, the way a turbo behaves is also based upon the way its tuned, or the type of boost controller that you're using, exhaust manifold choice, or even the way the vacuum lines are hooked up in relation to your wastegate.

There are plenty of situations in which yes, the wrong turbo choice was used, but if these other aspects weren't addressed (too conservative ignition timing with too much fuel, a leaky vacuum line or one hooked up to a bad boost reference, or hell even the way the boost controller is set) they can be a contributor to turbo behaviour you didn't necessarily ask for.

If all of the above were ok, it could be that your view of what "full spool" is may be different than what you imagined.. I've seen that before from a lot of owners too.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went through that thread previously and yes I can see where our logic is similar. I'll check out the gtx2867r and see how much it is. Also in my situation would you go for a mini ram horn or a tubular log mani? For what I researched log manis spool fast and die fast and I want something that spools fairly quickly and lasts to 8500 to 9000 grand.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:06 PM

I went through that thread previously and yes I can see where our logic is similar. I'll check out the gtx2867r and see how much it is. Also in my situation would you go for a mini ram horn or a tubular log mani? For what I researched log manis spool fast and die fast and I want something that spools fairly quickly and lasts to 8500 to 9000 grand.
Wrong item to worry about that in. Log manifolds don't "die fast", be they cast or tubular log. They can however, limit your options in turbine housing choice if you choose the wrong one, especially the cast ones.

These smaller turbochargers reach their peak torque at about 4000-4500rpms. "Holding power to 9K" serves no purpose, because you don't have the turbocharger or camshaft to worry about that with. Like more turbochargers of this size, your effective rpm range for PEAK power will be about 7500-8000 anyway. You want fast spool, but expect a small drop off. Can't have both. Its a matter of physics with the exhaust energy. It'll stop making power, when it stops making power according to your tuner. You want power "all the way to 9000", you're asking for the wrong type of turbocharger, and a different kind of racing.

For the GTX2867R, the average is about $1400 with a 4 bolt turbine housing. The prices you find online are typically about $1300 or so, but they DO NOT COME WITH A TURBINE HOUSING STANDARD. You must get a specific 53.90mm turbine wheel exhaust housing. Using one from a GT30R will not fit. Don't forget to add restrictors and waterlines to this turbo as they are required to run properly.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Swaggylicious

Originally Posted by TheShodan

That may be due to some other effects that you may not be aware of. remember, the way a turbo behaves is also based upon the way its tuned, or the type of boost controller that you're using, exhaust manifold choice, or even the way the vacuum lines are hooked up in relation to your wastegate.

There are plenty of situations in which yes, the wrong turbo choice was used, but if these other aspects weren't addressed (too conservative ignition timing with too much fuel, a leaky vacuum line or one hooked up to a bad boost reference, or hell even the way the boost controller is set) they can be a contributor to turbo behaviour you didn't necessarily ask for.

If all of the above were ok, it could be that your view of what "full spool" is may be different than what you imagined.. I've seen that before from a lot of owners too.
I'll be honest , it's my first time piecing together a kit. It's been on for about two years daily driven so I guess it's been somewhat reliable

I guess my satisfaction with it declined when I worked at Mazda/Acura/Nissan dealer. I drove the mazdaspeed3 and thought geez my car doesn't have this response, I even got the same feeling driving a turbo rdx and even a 370z

Although I must say, when it comes down to it. I'm not sure if my car is actually faster but just feels slower, I never raced an ms3 but I do destroy stock evo 10s all day and i think those two are comparable

Is there a right way or wrong way to setup vacuum lines and boost controllers? Right now I'm just using a prosport manual controller
Old 04-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes that makes total sense. I guess what I'm looking for peak power at 8000, i worded it wrong by saying I want it to make power to 9000 grand. 1400 is a bit too much for my current budget should I maybe stick to the t3/t04e 50 trim option? I want to spend around 1 k or so for the turbo.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by $amGD3
Is there a right way or wrong way to setup vacuum lines and boost controllers? Right now I'm just using a prosport manual controller

There are plenty of decent ways to hook it up, but the wrong way would obviously be in a way in which boost cannot be increased or causes a spike (and no I don't mean "creep") .