Notices

B16a max power on stock sleeves. build ?'s ect..

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16a max power on stock sleeves. build ?'s ect..

I currently have a b16a all stock internally wise. Only thing i have done was cometic hg and arp head studs. Running turbonetics 50trim and peakboost ram horn manifold on 8psi making 315whp. Running rc440 inj. But plan on upggrading here over the winter.

I was going to buy some pistons and rods and throw them in with new oem honda bearings. And wanted to turn the boost up and make over 400whp. I guess my question is. What kind of power could i get from using stock sleeves but with fordged internals and bigger injectors. Im trying to debate if i need to sleeve the block or not.

Here is a conplete list of mods-
Peakboost ramhorn
Emusa front mount and piping
BWR 3" downpipe with 3" straight thru a 18" res. And dumped under car
Turbonetics 50trm @ 8psi
Cometic headgasket
Arp head studs
Rc 440 injectors
Ngk -8 plugs/MSD wires
Electric fan
Turbonetics raptor bov
Turbonetics evolution wastegate

Everything else is stock motor wise. Have more mods to car such as suspension and what nkt but thats nkt relavent.

Can i make over 400whp by just using forged internalls with STOCK sleeves?
I am also going to have the head worked some and use bigger cams.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16a max power on stock sleeves. build ?'s ect..

yes you can make 400+ on stock sleeves
Old 12-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

While still remaing safe? I dont wana just push to see whT i cN get im looking to still remain safe
Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well what could i make on stock internalls then, i thoght sleeves were quite weak in these
Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

risky business running boost on stock internals
if you want to be safe then do a rebuild with low compression pistons. do you really want to put your motor at risk with that high whp? just because its been done a few times it doesnt mean its safe on stock internals. if you want to be "safe" on stock internals, then aim for 300whp and thats it! your stock internals are like a rubber band under boost pressure.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hence why im asking these question. I know it it very risky boosting srock internals. Although it has been done hundreds of times. Thats why im asking if i will see my goals out of just pistons and rods or if i should just sleeve a gsr block and throw pistons and rods in it. Or sleeve the current b16 and pistons and rods in it.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

400 on stock sleeves? Yes, people do it all day
400 on stock internals? Only if you don't want your car to make it off the dyno under its own power
Old 12-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mmmmmm 400 stock long block
Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by SiRCiviC94
Mmmmmm 400 stock long block
Not for long
Old 12-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can run over 400whp all day with stock sleeves i recommend to run off e85. my built gsr has pistons rods built head and stock sleeves its been making over 400whp for over two years now. its all about the tune and keeping up on maintenance. i would get a bigger turbo maybe a 57trim
Old 12-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hiiimseth
you can run over 400whp all day with stock sleeves i recommend to run off e85. my built gsr has pistons rods built head and stock sleeves its been making over 400whp for over two years now. its all about the tune and keeping up on maintenance. i would get a bigger turbo maybe a 57trim
also ive had a couple b16s in my day that made over 400whp on stock sleaves and built internals just pistons and rods
Old 12-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah. I guess ill start with pistons and rods in the b16 and tune it and see where it goes. His turbo should be fine for now. I bought it from a friend that was making 488whp on his built gsr. But he went to a 35r and i got a goood deal on it. I have some serious boost lag. I dont get full boost till like 4800rpms
Old 12-24-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

4800 isn't the worst in the world for a B16
Old 12-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

400whp is no problem with stock sleeves (like many already said above).

I'm running 400 on my street setup stock-sleeved/built GSR motor.

All motors are different, but with the right supporting mod's, a well put together tune by a reputable and knowledgeable tuner, 450whp was always the old "rule-of-thumb" before sleeves have a much higher likelihood of cracking or distorting. I've seen them crack with more than 450 and also with alot less than 450, but that much is really not needed.

If this is mainly a street car, between 380-420whp (in my opinion) is MORE than enough for a potent street setup without suffering from too many traction/reliability issues.

With that being said, it's all up to you.

On a side note. Boosting b16's used to be so popular for a reliable street setup years ago, very capable engine whether built or not. If I were to recommend ANYTHING, it would be to build that head!

B16's are revving monsters with that short stroke. Take advantage of it. Upgrade the springs & retainers, port/polish (if the budget allows for it). ITR cams are your best all-around cam (good up to 500whp) and an ATI damper to control harmonics.
Set VTEC abit lower for linear power delivery and rev that motor out.

If you can find the right settings and combination you will have alot of fun with your setup and barely have to push past 400whp, which is more than safe and reliable with a set of forged pistons/rods and proper clearances.

Like some people above said aswell, maybe a 57 or 60 trim turbo would be a great upgrade to compliment the rest of the setup. (especially if you do any significant headwork).
Old 12-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock sleeves will be fine for ~400whp. You can have them safely upto 500whp or so but thats when I would start to worry
Old 12-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks every one for the helpful replies. I was going to sleeve my block but after everyones imput im just doing internals. Also local on craigslist there is a fully built ported head that has not been ran yet for a decent price i may pick up. I would like to see 450-475 after the build
Old 12-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4genaccordfreak
400whp is no problem with stock sleeves (like many already said above).

I'm running 400 on my street setup stock-sleeved/built GSR motor.

All motors are different, but with the right supporting mod's, a well put together tune by a reputable and knowledgeable tuner, 450whp was always the old "rule-of-thumb" before sleeves have a much higher likelihood of cracking or distorting. I've seen them crack with more than 450 and also with alot less than 450, but that much is really not needed.

If this is mainly a street car, between 380-420whp (in my opinion) is MORE than enough for a potent street setup without suffering from too many traction/reliability issues.

With that being said, it's all up to you.

On a side note. Boosting b16's used to be so popular for a reliable street setup years ago, very capable engine whether built or not. If I were to recommend ANYTHING, it would be to build that head!

B16's are revving monsters with that short stroke. Take advantage of it. Upgrade the springs & retainers, port/polish (if the budget allows for it). ITR cams are your best all-around cam (good up to 500whp) and an ATI damper to control harmonics.
Set VTEC abit lower for linear power delivery and rev that motor out.

If you can find the right settings and combination you will have alot of fun with your setup and barely have to push past 400whp, which is more than safe and reliable with a set of forged pistons/rods and proper clearances.

Like some people above said aswell, maybe a 57 or 60 trim turbo would be a great upgrade to compliment the rest of the setup. (especially if you do any significant headwork).
How about a stock type r head on b16 will this be enough to carry power right to 9000rpm with the right turbo?
Old 12-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My b16 head carries power awesome all the way to 8500
Old 12-26-2012, 01:22 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There's no way at 8500 with your power level that you're still ,making anything decent
Old 12-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I made 630 on my stock sleeved b16.. Running it for about 3yrs . Eagle rods amd wiseco pistons...
Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice. Also forgot to mention i have itr valve train...and it pulls hard all the way to redline. Ill try and find the video on youtube and post it. Was shortly after got done with setup so kinda shitty pull.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will also try and find my dyno print out and post a pic of that as well
Old 12-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boyle.R
How about a stock type r head on b16 will this be enough to carry power right to 9000rpm with the right turbo?
Basically, Yes! But with the correct camshaft/valvetrain.

Traditionally speaking it is not "necessarily" the head/turbo combination that will yield power building up to a certain RPM range. It is your cam and cam timing that will determine it. (ie. advancing/retarding cam timing can shift your power band up/down depending on the needs of the engine and purpose of the application, although that is more relevant to N/A engines).
With that being said, a larger turbo charger with a different efficiency range will also shift the power band further up the rpm range and you will still be making power to 9000rpm (if your headwork supports it).

But, I have seen many people go slightly overboard with their choice of turbocharger, basically because they forget about efficiency for their power level and worry about how the power curve "looks" on a dyno plot and the ego-trip they get from saying "oh ya BRO, I gotz a sick-azz GT4082R on my stock internals b16a, but I makez powa to 9800rpm"

Be smart about your choices and take everything into consideration about what YOU want out of the setup, instead of what the internet wants.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4genaccordfreak
Basically, Yes! But with the correct camshaft/valvetrain.

Traditionally speaking it is not "necessarily" the head/turbo combination that will yield power building up to a certain RPM range. It is your cam and cam timing that will determine it. (ie. advancing/retarding cam timing can shift your power band up/down depending on the needs of the engine and purpose of the application, although that is more relevant to N/A engines).
With that being said, a larger turbo charger with a different efficiency range will also shift the power band further up the rpm range and you will still be making power to 9000rpm (if your headwork supports it).

But, I have seen many people go slightly overboard with their choice of turbocharger, basically because they forget about efficiency for their power level and worry about how the power curve "looks" on a dyno plot and the ego-trip they get from saying "oh ya BRO, I gotz a sick-azz GT4082R on my stock internals b16a, but I makez powa to 9800rpm"

Be smart about your choices and take everything into consideration about what YOU want out of the setup, instead of what the internet wants.
Yeah I get what your saying man. What do you think of a b16 with ITR head(including itr cams) using a Garrett t3/t4 57trim .63ar?

Quick Reply: B16a max power on stock sleeves. build ?'s ect..