Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

B16A CX Racing Turbo kit Build: What type and size injectors are optimal?

B16A CX Racing Turbo kit Build: What type and size injectors are optimal?

Old 02-27-2019, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default B16A CX Racing Turbo kit Build: What type and size injectors are optimal?

I'm looking to turbo my B16A JDM SiR Gen II (170hp 8200 redline) motor. I'm still looking however for what injectors to use. The build so far looks like:

CXRacing Turbo kit (https://www.cxracing.com/TRB-KIT-CIVIC-B18-IC0051-KIT)
Hondata s300 v3
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
AEM Fuel rail
AEM wideband AFR gauge
Fuel pressure, oil pressure, and boost pressure gauge all to be determined
and 550cc ish injectors

anyone know of any good injectors to use for a boosted B16? I'll only be running around 8 psi at 250-270ish whp.
Feel free to add any comments of other parts to add to the build or swap out ones I chose for. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2019, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A CX Racing Turbo kit Build: What type and size injectors are optimal?

the aem fuel rail is totally unnecessary at that power level. It's really only a bling factor. Aftermarket rails don't become necessary until you're over 400hp.

I strongly suggest going straight to ID1050x injectors, or FIC 1000's. Nothing on the market even comes close in quality, and the car will idle and drive waaaaay better on those than pretty much any other injector on the market even half its size.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:39 AM

Default Re: B16A CX Racing Turbo kit Build: What type and size injectors are optimal?

Motoxxxman is stressing the use of Bosch-style injectors, which typically run larger sizes than a Rochester Lucas (RC) or Delphi injector which runs a lot less efficiently, and is low impedence which require a resistor pack or change of resistance. The Bosch Style does not require that additional change in ohms, because they come in high impedence designs that have a better fitment.

With that said, for that power level on 91-93octane, larger than 600cc sizes are not necessary. But neither is the fuel rail. If you plan to drop the whole CX Racing kit and start with something a bit more robust to make power later, than yes, going with these larger sizes are needed, especially if you plan to run E85, which requires larger fuel outputs for smaller power ratings over VP C16 fuels or other petroleum based fuels.

But since we don't know that information (only you can provide your goals), just going to such large injectors isn't that necessary. It depends upon what you're doing.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My suggestion wasn't so much for the sheer volume of the ID injectors. It's more because Bosch style injectors are more reliable, more consistent, more durable, more resilient, have much much better fuel atomization properties (better gas mileage, better emissions, and a better overall burn), and are way easier to tune especially for low rpm and/or low loads. The theory is that the bigger the injector is, the harder it is to tune idle and light load. But that theory has been proven false time and time again with Bosch style injectors. the ID1050x's and FIC1000's idle and cruise WAY smoother than rc/delphi style injectors even in 550cc size class. ID and FIC also provide detailed latency (voltage compensation) tables for their injectors, unlike most other brands, which makes the tuner's job way easier, and allows the vehicle to run just that much better under varying conditions that the tuner may not get to witness during the tuning process.
All in all, simply a waaaaay better injector for every reason.

I'm sure Shodan won't disagree; you're better off buying quality injectors once, vs buying several sets of "other" injectors along the way. When I first started tuning and when I first built my car, I went through so many different injectors and found how difficult they were to tune. I almost always got them perfect, so I thought, but it took days and days of little tweaks as things would change. Then one day I finally said screw it and bout ID injectors. HOLY HELL! The difference was night and day! 5 minutes in, and it was flawless, and running ten times better than it had ever ran before on any other injector. Never needed touchups, and all the above mentioned stuff became very apparent. After tuning a LOT of cars with all different injectors, the same has always applied; bosch style injectors are very easy to tune and simply run waaaaaay better even in large sizes.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright thanks you guys, I'm in Canada and theres no E85 by me or anything, I run 91/92 octane. Also good to know about the fuel rail, I won't get it unless I need it on the current setup, I've looked at RC injectors and the FIC's, might go with some RC's, still open to input though, and I appreciate the input provided already.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Braedenm16 View Post
alright thanks you guys, I'm in Canada and theres no E85 by me or anything, I run 91/92 octane. Also good to know about the fuel rail, I won't get it unless I need it on the current setup, I've looked at RC injectors and the FIC's, might go with some RC's, still open to input though, and I appreciate the input provided already.
we've tuned plenty of non-bosch injectors, (I'm on Siemen Deka currently) and is fantastic. Easy to tune and work with for the last 14 years.
bosch style is great, no doubt. But for his needs, his location, and level, he's actually fine
Old 03-02-2019, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dynoed mine @274hp with a set of 450cc’s @ around 80% duty cycle. I agree with TheShodan that anything bigger than around 600cc just makes thing more difficult to tune and would be wasteful for your goals
Old 03-02-2019, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How extensive is your toolbox and fabrication skills? I ordered a CX kit and did a LOT of fabrication to get fitment close to proper. You'll definitely need to cut and weld some ****, and an angle grinder is also not a bad idea.. THAT being said.

The kit you've chosen should do well to get you close to your goal. Replace ANY boost controller they send you, they are garbage. Mine failed hardcore and I put 22psi through to a stock D15B7 bottom end and blew it to pieces after a really nasty (but fun) pull. The intercooler is pretty good. Kept my IAT very reasonably controlled. The intercooler piping isn't too bad, just needs trimming here and there for good fit. The couplers are good quality, the clamps are iffy.. The oil feed line is about 2 miles too long; trim it or deal with it, your choice. It otherwise gave me zero leak issues. Wastegate was surprisingly good quality, but ******* enormous. The BOV was better than I expected. It worked well and without leaks.
Your injector choice.. It was mentioned already, but yeah, for your wanted power, anything over 600cc is gonna be excessive. 750cc is really the highest I'd go. (That's where I ended up). They served well until I started the round 2 part of the build and are going to need replacing before too long as I'm fixing to max them out. I was able to get near 350whp without fuss from them.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Braedenm16 View Post
RC injectors are actually among the worst. They have a terrible spray pattern and atomization even when brand new, and only get worse with time.
Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post
I dynoed mine @274hp with a set of 450ccs @ around 80% duty cycle. I agree with TheShodan that anything bigger than around 600cc just makes thing more difficult to tune and would be wasteful for your goals
this is true, if comparing RC style injectors to RC style injectors. My point all along is that bosch style injectors are better in every way, so much so that ID1050x/FIC1000 injectors have better spray and are easier to tune than RC550's.

Originally Posted by Txdragon View Post
The intercooler is pretty good. Kept my IAT very reasonably controlled.
I'm a big fan of CXRacing intercoolers. I still run them in my cars.

OP: I suggest FIC 525cc injectors part#: IS115-0525H
They are well sized for your application, they are bosch style, they come with excellent quality metal/o-ring grommets, and they're high resistance so you don't need to add a resistor box.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:37 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by Txdragon View Post
How extensive is your toolbox and fabrication skills? I ordered a CX kit and did a LOT of fabrication to get fitment close to proper. You'll definitely need to cut and weld some ****, and an angle grinder is also not a bad idea. .
even my "custom" intercooler piping needed adjustment and re-welding. My nephew that fabbed up the piping mocked it up for a 92-95 Civic, not a Del Sol. None of the piping fit. :

I had to get a local welder redo the piping. The fix wasn't cheap but I wanted minimal silicone couplers...

As for CX Racing FMICs....no comment. Not going hurt anyone's feelings. lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: