Notices

b16 tranny, LS motor? spool times?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default b16 tranny, LS motor? spool times?

i know short gears are bad for turbo. iv got a t3 super 60 on an ls motor with a b16 tranny. where abouts am i going to hit full boost (10psi) is it going to come on strong and then fade at 6800rpm?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b16 tranny, LS motor? spool times? (the.hamburglar)

huh
Old 12-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 tranny, LS motor? spool times? (PnkRokCountryboy)

ok that didnt make much sense. ill try again. is the amount of time it takes for the turbo to hit full boost a function of its rpm? meaning, on an ls motor with an ls tranny (long gears) its going to take more time to reach 4500prm than it will with a the same motor but a b16 tranny.

so, if the ls motor and tranny hits full boost at 4500rpm will the ls motor and b16 tranny also hit full boost at 4500rpm OR will it hit full boost at 5000rpm because of the time factor. personally i think its just a function of exhaust released through rpm so it will spool at 4500 on both motors and trannys? anyone?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

its a function of airflow, which is mainly determined by displacement and rpms, so yea your in the right area.

i dont know for sure, but im gonna say that it will hit x boost at x rpms, regardless of tranny. the tranny will just determine how fast you get there??...
Old 12-30-2005, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is also a question of load, not just displacemet an rpm othrwise you would hit full boost at 4500 free revving as well. Shorter gearing equals less load and will effect spool characteristics but it won't cause it to run out up top. This has been explained better by others than what I can so if you want more, hit the search, there are some really informative posts/debates on this subject.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay_Sensing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is also a question of load, not just displacemet an rpm othrwise you would hit full boost at 4500 free revving as well. Shorter gearing equals less load and will effect spool characteristics but it won't cause it to run out up top. This has been explained better by others than what I can so if you want more, hit the search, there are some really informative posts/debates on this subject.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, forgot about that, i just woke up
Old 12-30-2005, 08:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the.hamburglar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know short gears are bad for turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, short gears are good for turbo. They make you accelerate faster.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay_Sensing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is also a question of load, not just displacemet an rpm othrwise you would hit full boost at 4500 free revving as well. Shorter gearing equals less load and will effect spool characteristics but it won't cause it to run out up top. This has been explained better by others than what I can so if you want more, hit the search, there are some really informative posts/debates on this subject.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how will it affect load characteristics? for the good or bad with a b16 tranny?
Old 01-04-2006, 07:29 PM

Default Re: b16 tranny, LS motor? spool times? (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, short gears are good for turbo. They make you accelerate faster.</TD></TR></TABLE> i disagree i have a b16 turbo with b16 trans, and at 5psi i thought first and second gears were a waste of time...thats on bfg's....after ls trans, its soooooo much better...longer gears are great if you got tons of power to push it.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 tranny, LS motor? spool times? (my crx is rhd)

when it comes down to it, short gearing = faster. traction is a different story. this topic has been covered a lot.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my crx is rhd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i disagree i have a b16 turbo with b16 trans, and at 5psi i thought first and second gears were a waste of time...thats on bfg's....after ls trans, its soooooo much better...longer gears are great if you got tons of power to push it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Disagree all you want. Shorter gears will make you accelerate faster... period. The LS tranny is worthless unless it's on a stock LS motor with the normal redline.

If you can't get traction then rig up a staged boost controller, get an LSD, better suspension, drag radials, etc... Sounds like you need to learn how to drive also if you can't handle 5psi.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my crx is rhd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i disagree i have a b16 turbo with b16 trans, and at 5psi i thought first and second gears were a waste of time...thats on bfg's....after ls trans, its soooooo much better...longer gears are great if you got tons of power to push it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

should have saved your money and bought taller tires
Old 01-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 tranny, LS motor? spool times? (EF8opey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF8opey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

should have saved your money and bought taller tires </TD></TR></TABLE>

what he said
Old 01-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 tranny, LS motor? spool times? (EF8opey)

if you were having traction problems with a b16 on 5psi you must have been in the rain. unless your running a gt60 on 5psi a b16 isnt going to make enough torque to have traction problems that bad, especially with DR's.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:02 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

The only time longer gears are better are when your trying to top out. otherwise short is the answer. you get there faster. Maybe you need to practice driving and not flooring it .

If you raced a B16 that had the same set up as you just with a B16 tranny, he'd whoop you good until the top end, that ls tranny can go for 170+
Old 01-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 tranny, LS motor? spool times? (HybridcivicLS-T)

ls trans with stock tire height, and like 8000 rpm redline will go 195 i think. don't quote me on this as its just off the top of my head. i don't have a calculator near by.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridcivicLS-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The only time longer gears are better are when your trying to top out. otherwise short is the answer. you get there faster. Maybe you need to practice driving and not flooring it .

If you raced a B16 that had the same set up as you just with a B16 tranny, he'd whoop you good until the top end, that ls tranny can go for 170+ </TD></TR></TABLE> 5psi with b16 trans sucked!......not driver error or n e thing...15" 225's bfg's with quaife....no good....in a crx....thats just my opinion, but i am also comparing to what my car was....its much different now driving rhd with the the ls trans and another 265hp ontop the the 185 i had....for 450whp, it seems so much better with the longer gears...but everyone has their preference....though many people do run the hydro gsr trans' in sick *** cars
Old 01-05-2006, 09:44 AM

Driver error...
Old 01-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 tranny, LS motor? spool times? (beerbongskickass)

Yeah, as mentioned I can tell you from personal expierence on ls motors, you must keep the ls tranny, but I could imagine that it would be murder on a torquless b16 motor....Maybe there was snow on the ground when you were frying the tires on 5 psi... j/k
Old 01-05-2006, 12:41 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my crx is rhd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">though many people do run the hydro gsr trans' in sick *** cars</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's what i did. I went in the middle and gat that sick a**gsr trans'
. And With the GSR gearing I still went 165...or so don't ask why I was an idiot.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In a world of 100% traction yeah, a B16 trans would be best but in a street car with street tires traction wins.

I question how many of these guys who get on here and say LS trans is junk have even tried it or if they are just regurgitating what someone else said.

This guy you are flaming actually ran both transmissions, so he knows from experience but you tell him he's wrong.

My brother and I have the exact same cars, with the exact same tires, my car runs more boost and make a little more power. He has tall gears and I have low gears. When we race I pull out a car length and then smoke the tires. He reels me in and gains a few cars then once I hook up I reel him in a pass him. It's all about traction and before you say driving, I've played with launches and a Gtech to see what helps the 0-60. Nothing worked as well as letting the tires spin a little, plus when we switched cars the results were the same.

My ideal transmission? A B16 with an LS final drive. Close ratios with a slight handicap off the line for traction.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Re: b16 tranny, LS motor? spool times? (99lspwr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99lspwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, as mentioned I can tell you from personal expierence on ls motors, you must keep the ls tranny, but I could imagine that it would be murder on a torquless b16 motor....Maybe there was snow on the ground when you were frying the tires on 5 psi... j/k</TD></TR></TABLE> hahahahahah yeah, there was snow on the ground.(smart a**) let me retract much i what i said because i just read the top of the post and realized your not talkin about in general, your specifically asking what trans will be best for your ls motor, i agree b16 for ls motor, but not with b16 with b16 trans.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my crx is rhd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> hahahahahah yeah, there was snow on the ground.(smart a**) let me retract much i what i said because i just read the top of the post and realized your not talkin about in general, your specifically asking what trans will be best for your ls motor, i agree b16 for ls motor, but not with b16 with b16 trans.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf are you saying. are you saying a b16 tranny is good for an ls but not a b16? i sure hope not.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:36 AM

Default Re: b16 tranny, LS motor? spool times? (CoreyR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wtf are you saying. are you saying a b16 tranny is good for an ls but not a b16? i sure hope not.</TD></TR></TABLE>yes, i'd think so, i never drvoe a boosted ls, but i drove a 220hp all motor ls, it was very slow to climb rpm's...so i think a b16 trans might help get the revs up a little faster....because it was an ls trans on the setup, and the car was very fast, but 1/4 mile times just didnt seem to be there....low 13's, but the car felt so much f*cking faster....and traction wasnt that big of a problem....so i think it'd be a possiblilty that it might be better with b16 trans....we can sit here and give opinions all day, and get nowhere, i aint sayin anyone's wrong, just tellin what i've experinced...and my cars have all been built right, didnt buy any parts just cause they were available or cheap...so??????my best advice to anyone is try both! or do like you said and make your own gear setups. ok......everyone talk sh*t now!
Old 01-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my crx is rhd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, i'd think so, i never drvoe a boosted ls, but i drove a 220hp all motor ls, it was very slow to climb rpm's...so i think a b16 trans might help get the revs up a little faster....because it was an ls trans on the setup, and the car was very fast, but 1/4 mile times just didnt seem to be there....low 13's, but the car felt so much f*cking faster....and traction wasnt that big of a problem....so i think it'd be a possiblilty that it might be better with b16 trans....we can sit here and give opinions all day, and get nowhere, i aint sayin anyone's wrong, just tellin what i've experinced...and my cars have all been built right, didnt buy any parts just cause they were available or cheap...so??????my best advice to anyone is try both! or do like you said and make your own gear setups. ok......everyone talk sh*t now!</TD></TR></TABLE>

A b16 trans is definately not good for a boosted ls motor in any situation.....Unless your trying to make a 1/8 mile monster!!!

Quick Reply: b16 tranny, LS motor? spool times?