Notices

b16 project..turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 project..turbo

This thread is in reference to this one

for those who don't want to read it, I have a b16a2 motor and im planning on spending about 5k on the engine alone.

I was told to take the block to a machine shop and have it worked on..

so my question is.. what kind of work does my block need?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 project..turbo

what r you power goals
Old 08-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rods
Pistons
Bearings
hone
hot tank

boring/sleeving is optional
Old 08-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redflaredcrx90
what r you power goals
My goal is to make at least 250hp... 300 if my engine wont take too much of beating (i plan to use this as both a weekend car and a track car)

Rods
Pistons
Bearings
hone
hot tank

boring/sleeving is optional
i see.. im somewhat new to the car world so explanations would be wonderful, lol im looking to learn a bit not just posting, asking for lists, and never coming back again. would i have to get these parts myself? or do i just tell the people at the machine shop that thats what i want?(which idk lol i have a feeling they could take advantage of a car nub)
Old 08-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

300 hp is easy stock motor arp head studs. and good turbo kit/tune. and fuel pump and injectors ect....
Old 08-07-2010, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b16racereg6
300 hp is easy stock motor arp head studs. and good turbo kit/tune. and fuel pump and injectors ect....
what is arp head studs?
Old 08-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ever hear of the "search" button? its in the top right corner of this site. USE IT. people need to stop cluttering up the forums on stuff thats been gone over time and time again.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egboosted
ever hear of the "search" button? its in the top right corner of this site. USE IT. people need to stop cluttering up the forums on stuff thats been gone over time and time again.

idk what your problem is... even in your rant of "search" you could of atleast provided the simple answer... here let me help let you out though Click Here

back to my project... ok so ARP Head Studs, how do they work and how do they help in gains?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just go buy them and use them. They hold the block to the head with much more clamping force. And there are so many more good reasons to get them..
Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I'd go back and understand about turbocharging and engines first to get your automotive feet wet before just getting a turbo kit and doing it yourself. this isn't like putting on an intake or some plug wires to that effect
Old 08-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so i read a few things online and decided im going to buy pistons first.

now something i can't find online or in the forums is what kind of pistons i should get for the b16 engine i have.. any ideas?

Also i stumbled upon this item, what are your opinions guys?

(my budget is $1,100 at right this second.. if you guys think i should get something else let me know)
Old 08-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. First off, researching is going to be much more helpful than asking us what you need. If you had researched you would have found that you do NOT need to make any modifications to your block for a 250whp b16. the engine can handle that power in stock configuration.

2. The Shodan is right. I think you should get a better grasp on how an engine works and basic engine performance before you try to turbo your car.

3. While LMGTFY is cute, as a new member I suggest you don't get smart and just listen to what people have to say (granted 93egboosted's post was pointless)

4. Your ebay link to the rod/piston setup would be a good decison if you decide to build up the block. If you do a forged rod/piston combo your engine will easily be able to handle 400whp as long as its assembled properly.

5. ARP headstuds are exactly what they sound like. Studs that hold the head to the block. They are stronger than OEM and will help prevent headlift (a condition related to boost pressure creating excessive pressure in the cylinders, thus lifting the head and ruining your headgasket.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
1. First off, researching is going to be much more helpful than asking us what you need. If you had researched you would have found that you do NOT need to make any modifications to your block for a 250whp b16. the engine can handle that power in stock configuration.
I actually did stumble on that, but it wouldn't hurt to build the engine just in case i want to get more power out of it in the future

2. The Shodan is right. I think you should get a better grasp on how an engine works and basic engine performance before you try to turbo your car.
Im researching the best i can, if i can't find a straight answer id rather ask than guess on something and kill my engine. I agree though, i looked up those ARP studs and learned about what they do.. so that was my bad

3. While LMGTFY is cute, as a new member I suggest you don't get smart and just listen to what people have to say (granted 93egboosted's post was pointless)
I do listen and in fact, since i joined the forum i learned a heck of a lot of info than when i started. (he was just rude, im not trying to pick fights, im trying to get answers lol)

4. Your ebay link to the rod/piston setup would be a good decison if you decide to build up the block. If you do a forged rod/piston combo your engine will easily be able to handle 400whp as long as its assembled properly.
like i said, Id rather build my block and if i wanna boost higher in the future, i would. Im not working on a budget, if i have to spend 20k on this project then i am... id rather go all out than do things half way.

5. ARP headstuds are exactly what they sound like. Studs that hold the head to the block. They are stronger than OEM and will help prevent headlift (a condition related to boost pressure creating excessive pressure in the cylinders, thus lifting the head and ruining your headgasket.
Good to know, like i said i researched it a bit more and found out exactly what i needed.

so those pistons and rods seem like a good idea? I heard a lot of people downing ebay.. i just don't want to go too cheap on this project. (by the way.. i just learned that i have a b16A SiR II bot just a b16a2)
Old 08-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by teknicalissue

so those pistons and rods seem like a good idea? I heard a lot of people downing ebay.. i just don't want to go too cheap on this project.
buying name brand parts on ebay is perfectly fine as long as the seller is legit. but buying chinese knock-offs on ebay is a bad idea.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buying name brand parts on ebay is perfectly fine as long as the seller is legit. but buying chinese knock-offs on ebay is a bad idea.
Good

Ok guys, I just received some cash ($1,250 specifically) and im ready to buy something..

should i buy the ARP head studs? or perhaps spend some money on a new exhaust system (its a custom 2" dual exhaust system).. maybe something else?

I want to buy something that i can add to my engine and still make it drivable until my next check
Old 08-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only thing I would install before adding the turbo would be a clutch, this way you could get the break in out of the way. I would also save your money until you could afford to buy the turbo kit you want. I would also run the stock block for a year or two, this will give you time to learn how a turbo car works and the extra maintenance needed. I have been running a stock block b16 at close to 300 hp for almost 4 years, just make sure you save some money for a good tune and you will be fine.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by teknicalissue
Good

Ok guys, I just received some cash ($1,250 specifically) and im ready to buy something..

should i buy the ARP head studs? or perhaps spend some money on a new exhaust system (its a custom 2" dual exhaust system).. maybe something else?

I want to buy something that i can add to my engine and still make it drivable until my next check
PM me for a list of what to get in the particular order that is best for a turbocharged setup like this