Notices

b16 block/GSR head turbo any cons/pros.. gsr head for turbo in general chime in

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 block/GSR head turbo any cons/pros.. gsr head for turbo in general chime in

hey, the machine shop broke my heart today with my fully built b16 head, i took it in there for a degrease/hot tank, and a valve adjustment.. i get a call a week later when they finally get to it saying my head is trashed, it had scars/scrapes in the cam holder all the way to the left on the distributor side, i was aware of it, it came off my running b16 car, i figured they could fix it or i could sand it down and run it anyway.. and then they say they cant do the valve adjustment because my rocker arms are bad/lost motion assembly im assuming.. i guess that is why i ALWAYS had a tapping head, it sounded/was valve tap i could never get rid of no matter who did the valve adjustment

so now im forced to use my gsr head on my b16 block, its a little bit of a hassle because now i got to transfer the valvetrain, they want 120 to do it, i can get a friend of mine to do it, hopefully he can get it done in a day.. but can anyone tell me some pros or cons of the gsr head for turbo

i know they flow very similar, the ports are supposibly steeper, is that good? .. smaller combustion chambers will take me from 9:1 to about 9.3:1 tops, which really isnt that bad, ill have better off boost response, prob a little better spool, and off boost response correct? are the smaller combustion chambers good or bad tho for turbo? alone with the quench pads that help fight off detonation that must be a good thing..

im just curious if a few ppl have ever ran this set up and can tell me some more about this head to make me a little more happier that i have to use it, instead of sad... i do have a brand new edelbrock victor x for a b16 but i already been approved to swap it out by the company i bought it from, so other then that, no other changes or inconviences i have to deal with.... im just curious if the up in compression, smaller chambers, steeper ports, and quench pads are good or bad for boost.. i know there PLENTY or gsr turbos doing wonderful so im just curious what ppl have to say about this..

sorry so long, had to vent, its been bothering me all day, i wanted to cry when they told me lol.. who wants to just throw away a b16 head.. and pay extra money at the machine shop if i go that route to have them install the valvetrain
Old 08-05-2010, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: b16 block/GSR head turbo any cons/pros.. gsr head for turbo in general chime in

you're not going to notice a difference.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b16 block/GSR head turbo any cons/pros.. gsr head for turbo in general chime in

well the b16 head flows better, but the gsr head is less likely to detonate due to the difference in the combustion chamber, which you said that you knew they were different so ...yea