Notices

B-series turbo project....need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-series turbo project....need help

Although I'm a DSM guy, I have a tremendous respect for hondas.....I have a friend who has a 1989 civic 4 door with a b18b1 swap. Right now it's setup NA with a header and an intake....with stock internals with stock specs. As it is now, it's damn quick for an NA with no major performance modifications.

However, the owner is interested in going forced induction. He's on a limited budget, so right now a full turbo kit is not really too much of an option considering even the cheapest of turbo kits can be as much as 2000 dollars.

He's interested in basically putting together a kit piece by piece..(find a turbo manifold, find a turbo, make piping, so on and so on). There are two turbos that go for fairly cheap used and that is a T-25 off a 2g DSM or a 14b from a 1g dsm...usually around 150 bucks give or take 50.....

My question is....if he were to get ahold of one of these turbos....what would be a good choice of a manifold. (keeping price in mind) and what's the best way to tap an oil feed for that turbo in a B18B1? Obviously he'll have to drill into the oil pan for the return, but the feed is the question. Has anybody on here ever tried MAKING their own intercooler piping as opposed to buying custom piping.....if you have, was it worth it? What's the best route to take in order to adapt the turbo exhaust inlet flange with the manifold flange bolt patterns....anybody around here in or near Maryland and no a good place that doesn't charge out the *** for a custom downpipe to be made? Basically, I need as much information as possible from anybody who has tried to pioneer their own turbo kit.......and yes I have already looked at http://www.homemadeturbo.com, but I'd also like to hear what this board has to say as well.

Thanks alot,
Chris