Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   B series sidewinder manifold (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/b-series-sidewinder-manifold-3204620/)

t3gav 04-23-2014 06:47 AM

B series sidewinder manifold

Anyone making these anymore? Can't seem to find any, maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing... Thanks

TheShodan 04-23-2014 07:34 AM

Re: B series sidewinder manifold

If you mean like the older Hytech "Sidewinder" manifold.. That's this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/theshodan/T3.jpg

Muckman is the only person I know that still may be able to find one. I hadn't seen one since we got it for this car back almost 10 years ago.

Muckman 04-23-2014 07:44 AM

Hytech will still make you one if you have 5 grand
Lovefab also has a sidewinder version.
Or find a good fabricator willing to make you a copy.

OneBadTurboCRV 04-23-2014 10:55 AM

Just build your own. That's what I did. Cost me about $400 in materials and whatever it was to run the welder and air compressor. Although I don't recommend them, I purchased a ramhorn manifold kit from Mazworx and added 4 feet of straight tubing. You would be better off sourcing the pipe from Ace Stainless and getting the flanges from wherever (eBay).

Turbo-LS 04-23-2014 12:04 PM

5 grand. That's insane. Burns collector or not what a waste of money. Def make your self or find a good fabricator.

mar778c 04-23-2014 12:14 PM

I own a burns collector. Good stuff but I did not think they cost that much.

wantboost 04-23-2014 04:10 PM

Burns collectors are works of art, especially since I've seen a lot of so called collectors that wouldn't even pass Chinese knockoff quality lol

wantboost 04-23-2014 04:13 PM

But why do you want a sidewinder? unless you plan on running air to water like TheShodans photo there isn't much benefit.

the long runners are good for top end power but response does suffer a bit. best thing to do is ceramic coat it or heat wrap it.

then there's the custom radiator hoses, radiator and fan clearance issues.

so why then? if it's just to look cool or different then you're doing it wrong.

OneBadTurboCRV 04-23-2014 04:26 PM

If the entire setup is built right you don't lose much response at all.
If the manifold is built right you can use stock hoses and stock radiator with a slim fan.

I don't think it is cool at all to have one more like a PITA, but function over form in my book. If it looks cool while doing it then so be it. In the end it really depends on the chassis and purpose of the car. I had plenty of room to play with in my RD1. :)

wantboost 04-23-2014 05:28 PM

Yea the main advantage is very short charge piping. if you use an air to water setup like posted above you have about 18 inches of total piping length.

if you use an air to air setup you can use a super efficient horizontal flow interccoler with same side inlet and outlet with about 3ft of piping. so any response loss by the long runners is almost entirely made up for by the short charge piping.

Runnerdown 04-23-2014 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV (Post 49675182)
If the entire setup is built right you don't lose much response at all.

I agree with this :thumbup:

t3gav 04-24-2014 01:11 AM

My engine isn't in a Honda so space is tight at the front, just looking at all available options, intercooler placement etc etc, think I can get away with a Spoolin Log but have a lot more space above the gearbox free so just researching other possibilities :) Thanks all :)