Notices
AWD Conversion Forum This forum is to help with the recent advent of new AWD conversions. Got a question? Ask it here. Got an answer? Drop the knowledge here

K7-1Ktrevor's AWD CRX build, 500whp or bust

Old 09-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: About 200whp shy of a 10 second street car

I like the big brake tech, I have never seen using mini rotors and CRV calipers. Legit man!
Old 09-14-2018, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More info on the block filling since I know nothing about it. Does it still permit you to run coolant?
Old 09-14-2018, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

There's like tons of videos on YouTube of how to do it exactly but I basically just filled the top 1" of the coolant jacket, I put straws where I wanted coolant to be able to pass through the essentially pourable block gaurd and removed them once it solidified. The moroso block filler is essentially like a grout but it's hard as ****. I'm pretty sure it will do a good job on keeping stuff from moving around.

Im planning on also building a super light all motor b20 crx with the old head off this car and it will be 85mm stock sleeves with moroso block filler in it too.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LankorDie
I like the big brake tech, I have never seen using mini rotors and CRV calipers. Legit man!

my buddy tony has had that setup on his Dc for like 2 or 3 years now and they are all that car needs. You can just bolt the setup together on da or dc knuckles, or even ef ex knuckles if you can find them.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Comp twin disc 🤤

Got these for a steal. Hoosier r6 in 225/50/15 for the crx. Definitely needed a little more diameter then the 195/50/15s offered

Rough cut on the exhaust ports. Waiting on a bunch of small flapper wheels for clean up.

Cylinder head is starting to get there.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default re: K7-1Ktrevor's AWD CRX build, 500whp or bust

Bowl on that intake port looks really rough... I'd like to see a picture when it's finished.

Good luck, hope everything works out.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm waiting on a bunch of small flap wheels to come in so the head is on hold till I get the better tooling to clean it up. I just converted the car to full hydro clutch setup using a modified stock pedal assembly. Still need to run to the wrecking yard for a clutch reservoir and bleed it to see how it feels. Also installed a 1" jdm itr master cylinder, purchased it a few months ago but didn't realize the crx masters have slightly longer bolts on the brake booster so I had to spend a little more time making it fit. The block filler seems to be fully hardened just need to make some time to pull the shortblock and tranny out then get it machined for the pistons. Been working allot on my all motor project crx and been tuning a shitload so this car gets worked on when things cool down for a little bit which has been rare recently.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not perfect but should get the job done.

280mm Mini Cooper rotors with crv calipers and hawk hps break pads. Stainless steel lines and itr 1\" master cylinder. Really excited to see how this setup works. Also working on a rear disc conversion for the rt4wd rear hubs. I will most likely go with itr rear calipers and ep3 rear rotors.

Ferrea turbo valves. Brian crower dual valve springs and stainless retainers to be installed soon. All new super tech valve stem seals installed already.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Coming along nicely! The head work is for the diehard enthusiast though. After JUST cleaning mine, I need to re-acquire motivation to take it any further. Lol
Old 11-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always enjoyed portwork. I feel like there's a few areas that are easy to improve plus it's a good learning experience, I think allot of people are scared of jumping into portwork just like people are scared to learn how to tune. This is actually the first dohc vtec head I've ported, all the other heads were pr4, p75 and p8r heads. Just the stock ports on this b16 head are such a huge improvement from the factory castings of non vtec heads, it's easy to see why they are so much better.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive been slacking on updating this build thread, well that and not a whole lot has been going on with it to be honest. The motor is at the machine shop getting sized for the pistons and decked, I just got the crank back from redline cam and crank. I converted the car to run a full hydraulic clutch setup and it feels so much better then the old cable clutch with hydro adapter. Also I found that the check valve in the aem 400lph fuel pump was causing a massive restriction so it was drilled clean out and now the fuel pump sounds like it should. Been doing a few little things here and there, painted the intercooler and radiator black, the intercooler and radiator will both have a good amount of the dei heat reflective tape on them to help insulate them from one another. I also decided to change the wheel and tire setup to a set of 16" whistlers with 205/50/16s which have a diameter of 24.1" vs the 22.7" 195/50/15s that were on it before. Retrofitted a set of rt4wd rear mud flaps onto the car and they look perfect on it.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:16 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: K7-1Ktrevor's AWD CRX build, 500whp or bust

Absolutely gorgeous. Nice work! I love the mudflaps.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man, I think it's the small things like that that really make a car come together. Replaced the hatch struts with new ones I got off eBay for $20, they feel amazing. Makes the car feel like a new car. Basically just waiting on the block to get done at the machine shop so I can assemble it then gradually put everything back together. I plan on driving this car a good amount this spring and next summer so I'll be running a 3.5" sprint car muffler on it to tone it down a little.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:16 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Great looking build, and sorry to focus on this instead, but can you give me some details on steam cleaning with the carpet cleaner? Your bay looks awesome....mine doesn't and I'm going to need to clean it soon before I start putting the engine back in. I'm assuming you're getting the carpet cleaner in the red pump-spray bottle, not the aerosol can, correct? Are you spraying the dirty areas with the cleaner, letting it sit, then hitting it with steam?

I'm also planning to paint and file the logo on my valve cover. I'm good with the painting part, but are folks just using a standard file at a flat angle and slowly removing the paint over the raised letters?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:56 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
Great looking build, and sorry to focus on this instead, but can you give me some details on steam cleaning with the carpet cleaner? Your bay looks awesome....mine doesn't and I'm going to need to clean it soon before I start putting the engine back in. I'm assuming you're getting the carpet cleaner in the red pump-spray bottle, not the aerosol can, correct? Are you spraying the dirty areas with the cleaner, letting it sit, then hitting it with steam?

I'm also planning to paint and file the logo on my valve cover. I'm good with the painting part, but are folks just using a standard file at a flat angle and slowly removing the paint over the raised letters?
I know you asked Trevor, but what I did on my valve cover is to prep everything for paint and then wipe a little bit of vaseline or lip balm over top faces of the letters. After painting everything, you just wipe it off.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep the red la awesome carpet cleaner and the harbor freight steam cleaner literally melts the stains right off man. I let the carpet cleaner solution sit for a minute or so then go over it with the steam then wipe off excess dirt with a microfiber rag and repeat the process till it looks new. Once you get the bay all cleaned up I like to hand wax it to help stop dirt from sticking again.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still waiting on the machine shop to get my block done so no update on the awd car as of right now. I did however just pick up this 2000 Honda Insight for pretty cheap to use as a daily for now to save on gas, my Escalade averaging 16 mpg was hurting my wallet a bit and seemed overkill for just running around town and to grab parts. I got the insight with a charging issue, possibly a bad ima battery but had planned on just running it on the little 1 liter 3 cylinder for a bit till I could get everything needed for a k swap in it. So far I gotta say I really love this car, it handles incredibly well for what it is and it's actually really fun to drive. So far I've logged 46mpg in town and mostly in traffic. I've always loved the amount of engineering Honda put into these cars and I'm glad to see they have gotten so cheap.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 178 Likes on 151 Posts

What made you decide to cut and weld wagon arms this time instead of what you did to them on your last build?
Old 12-05-2018, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I picked the car up already awd converted. Allot of the conversion was done kinda half assed but the trailing arms were solid so I didn't see a need to change them. The driveshaft on the other hand was pretty funny. They shortened it by cutting and welding it in the middle lol. The viscous coupler mounts were a couple sets of rear trailing arm camber arms from what looked like an ek bolted through the floor.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had a bit of a hold up due to the rod bearings I had being a little too tight. Finally got my acl hx bearings today and got the bottom end assembled.

Main bearing clearances came out to
1. .0015"
2. .0017"
3. .0015"
4. .0016"
5. .0014"

they were a little on the tight side but my buddy who builds tons of shortblock said assured me they would be just fine.

rod bearing clearances came out to
1. .0018"
2. .0018"
3. .0020"
4. .0017"
Old 12-29-2018, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not that I'm much a voice here but, I'd run those clearances with no worry. Mine were .0015 and I ran fine. Given I had a MUCH lower HP range, you're also taking the rod clearance a bit more. I was looking to hit .0018 this time around since I'd like to see the nickle mark myself. Your builder is somebody I'd listen to without too many questions of opinion!
Old 12-29-2018, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I was probably more worried then I needed to be but I have tuned a ton of motors that Tony's built and never had an issue with any of them. He's got one sleeved gsr he built like 5 years ago still making 600+whp to this day. That's allot more then I can say for most engine builders around here. I'm really excited to get this car back on the road.

im gonna be taking the transmission to tony to figure out what went wrong with the second gear. After a night at pir it started randomly popping out of second gear so I'm assuming worn slider and probably the tension rings or what ever they are called are flattened out. I have a spare crv trans I got for free that was pretty much destroyed, one of my buddies picked it up from pick a part and after inspecting it found it was just a parts only. Luckily I believe the second gear in it is still salvageable.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Spent some time yesterday fitting rear interior back in the car. Feels weird, I must be getting old. I've always been all about the full race car **** but I just wanna make this car nice to drive. The rear cargo cover was a pretty sweet custom made piece I got off the black si that the roll bar came out of. I still need to get the rear divider but I'm sure moe will have a bunch laying around.

​​​​​​​
Old 01-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Love the addition of dynamat! Looks good. Clean. My interior looks like a family of 4 lives in it. Lol!
Old 01-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Do you trust these thin spots? I dont know devcon stuff but as i see it from his picture it seems too thin there? If they break there it may hurt yourwater pump impellers or something.
Just sharing my thoughts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K7-1Ktrevor's AWD CRX build, 500whp or bust