Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Augustine Reyes- B18C1 turbo project - Novice builder that needs guidance

Augustine Reyes- B18C1 turbo project - Novice builder that needs guidance

Old 11-21-2018, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Augustine Reyes- B18C1 turbo project - Novice builder that needs guidance

Need some advice on turboing this car. got b18c1 in a eg hatch. Want to go full e85. would like to reach 400hp at least 350 on stock block and internals. Don't know what size turbo I should run. Let me know what think of my current parts brainstorm and if reaching 400hp on e85 is doable. thanks
Old 11-22-2018, 05:45 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Default re: Augustine Reyes- B18C1 turbo project - Novice builder that needs guidance

Save yourself the troubles and at least upgrade the rods, pistons, bearings and headgasket...along with an upgraded clutch. You don't need a Moroso oil pan.

and a GOOD TUNER who knows what he's doing.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:36 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: Augustine Reyes- B18C1 turbo project - Novice builder that needs guidance

OK, we know your goals, what is your budget like? If this were mine, I would add to your list: Pistons (at least some Nippon or YCP cast, if not forged), rods, bearings, replace all engine gaskets, new head gasket, new bearings, ARP head studs, timing belt. Don't forget to add in the cost of machine work - bore/hone/deck block, deck head, oil return bung for oil pan, bungs for catch can (if you go that route). You should get your ECU recapped, but you don't have to. If my budget was $7,500 or less, I would wait to buy the following until you know you can afford it all. Or, I wouldn't buy these at all - I would consider these 'nice to have' but not necessary: AEM fuel rail, valves/springs/retainers, port/polish head, cams, oil pan.

I'm not 100% sure about E85, but I think your stock fuel lines and rail would be able to handle your goals...someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:49 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

one thing to add...will you be doing most of the work yourself and are you capable of doing it? See too many "projects" for sale and people assume building a turbocharged Honda is easy.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Augustine Reyes- B18C1 turbo project - Novice builder that needs guidance

get rid of aem fpr, fuel rail, supertech valves, port job, oil pan, and dont mill the head unless you have too.

Made 440 on like 15-16 psi 10 years ago on e85, stock cams, stock head, stock fuel rail/fpr, stock intake manifold and full race gt30r kit on a gsr.. only thing i had was arp suds
Old 11-23-2018, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Augustine Reyes- B18C1 turbo project - Novice builder that needs guidance

I already have the head work done so thats what I'm working with.just a mild valve port n polish.running similar specs to type r head.440 on a stock head.ill be more than happy to touch that.Also what about the bottom block...was everything stock as well. I'm not trying to overbore for bigger pistons, ill upgrade the rods and bearings if I'm going to switch out the pistons for some of the stock bore size(if that matters any`as my current p72 look fine)also want to leave the bottom block in the car.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea I'm got some experience. plan on doing most the work myself besides the tuning of course.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly, moneys not a issue at all. but not really trying to build a race car. this is just gonna be a street car to mess around with on the weekends. just want a little more firepower.nothing too serious. With that being said. I don't really want to run any over size pistons.shouldve put that in the description. But what do you think, running oversized pistons is a must or just a better idea?
Old 11-23-2018, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So running stock pistons is not going to work out well?also tying to leave bottom block in the car.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock is perfectly fine. Just donít have high expectations and a good tuner

stock head or whatever you already have for head
stock block
good tune
1000cc injectors for e85
wqlbro 255
hondata sf rcautoworks 4bar map sensor
arp hesd suds
oem hg
oem new oil pump comes with oem rear main seal too
oem front main seal

quality turbo
quality bov
quality wg
install
tune s300 prefered but u can go chrome/Neptune

edit: should do a leakdown rest to see if piston rings are solid still
if not
keep it cheap re ring hone
or ball out forged rods pistons extra 700-950. New prices

switching to some other cast pistons doesnít make sense
Old 11-23-2018, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KiNGDEE206 View Post
Stock is perfectly fine. Just donít have high expectations and a good tuner

stock head or whatever you already have for head
stock block
good tune
1000cc injectors for e85
wqlbro 255
hondata sf rcautoworks 4bar map sensor
arp hesd suds
oem hg
oem new oil pump comes with oem rear main seal too
oem front main seal

quality turbo
quality bov
quality wg
install
tune s300 prefered but u can go chrome/Neptune

edit: should do a leakdown rest to see if piston rings are solid still
if not
keep it cheap re ring hone
or ball out forged rods pistons extra 700-950. New prices

switching to some other cast pistons doesnít make sense
thanks, exactly what I was looking for.but one more thing, what turbo or how big of a turbo. exact ones would be nice. and of corse I am going to run a good turbo don't want any ebay or off brand ones when I got the funds to run good quality things.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Agustine Reyes View Post
thanks, exactly what I was looking for.but one more thing, what turbo or how big of a turbo. exact ones would be nice. and of corse I am going to run a good turbo don't want any ebay or off brand ones when I got the funds to run good quality things.
Augustine, in all honesty and with respect, what builds have you seen on this forum that are similar to your goals? There are several on here just from the last year. We don't need to spell out every part for you. The builds are crafted as guides for others to follow. Just check.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys Iím new to the scene *** well and looking to do the same but with a A/c compatible Manifold. Iíve been looking at getting a GT35R. If I open up the block Iím going to build it so donít really want to open it rn since itís my daily, My tuner told me that I could do it with the stock short block just need the check compression and do all the gaskets with arp headstuds. So is the GT35R to big or just right?
Old 11-24-2018, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Manniesodope View Post
Hey guys Iím new to the scene *** well and looking to do the same but with a A/c compatible Manifold. Iíve been looking at getting a GT35R. If I open up the block Iím going to build it so donít really want to open it rn since itís my daily, My tuner told me that I could do it with the stock short block just need the check compression and do all the gaskets with arp headstuds. So is the GT35R to big or just right?
Hello, my friend. What you're doing is referred to as "thread jacking" and is highly frowned upon. You can make a new thread with other specific questions without throwing this thread off topic.

To quickly address your question, the short answer is yes, for a stock black, that turbocharger is much too large to utilize effectively. Keep it simple with something 41lbs-50lbs per minute airflow for the stock block.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: