Notices

Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 07:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this?

Well, this is somewhat on going for awhile now...I finally got the bigger turbo, went with a T3/T4E 57trim, .48 ex, .60 compressor. Motor is a stock block H22a, my rigged fuel setup at the moment is the VAFC hack with dsm 450's. Any more questions on my setup feel free to ask. Here is the issue. Once the kit was on, i had some problems with alittle high rpm detonation. So i backed the timing off a bit, and the car started having issues with missing at around 4k. So i turned the timing back to where it was. I then had problems with the car boost creeping, got that figured out and fixed. So the car was fine, now i get the bigger turbo on. And guess what? it does what it used to do, it started missing around 6k. So i tried advancing the timing, it would miss about the same. So i retarded the timing, and it still misses and stutters anywhere around 5-6k. In first gear, its alright, but in anything 2nd and above, it'll die off hard. Looking at the Techedge, the a/f seems fine. Sometimes it'll backfire alittle bit also.

What is causing this? my plugs are gapped .32 and i'm running pump gas. plugs are NGK BKRE7-11's.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this? (GraphiteAccord)

whats your fuel pressure at? You sure you dont have an injector sticking or something along those lines? What does your techedge say when the skip happens?
Old 07-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this? (ScrapinSi)

Try some fresh plugs with an .028 gap.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this? (ScrapinSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScrapinSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats your fuel pressure at? You sure you dont have an injector sticking or something along those lines? What does your techedge say when the skip happens?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock fuel pressure. The car runs great all the time, untill i get on it. A/f jumps around too much to tell, but it stays around 11.1 up to there. car is making about .60 bar of boost...
Old 07-08-2003, 08:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this? (Jared)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try some fresh plugs with an .028 gap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm going to pull the plugs in alittle bit and see what they look like.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you talk about advancing and retarding your timing, what is it actually at? What computer are you using? You really need to get that thing on a dyno before you blow it up. Driving around and messing with timing is just asking for it...
Old 07-08-2003, 09:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this? (tony1)

Stock P13 ECU. i'm down to around 13 degrees as we speak. i pulled the plugs, they show no signs of detonation, just alittle wet with gas.

Old 07-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Better than steak

I would check your plugs to see if any signs of detonation. Dont let perfect air to fuel ration fool you into thinking every thing is ok. Timing is everything, and the VFAC isnt the best at it.

art
Old 07-08-2003, 09:50 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this? (Arturbo)

art the subject says smart people..
Old 07-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this? (falconGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falconGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">art the subject says smart people.. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Then why you postings?
Old 07-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fuel pump?
Old 07-08-2003, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this? (Jordo)

hey man call me again tomorow my cell is all messed up the display doesnt work call me though

sam
Old 07-08-2003, 10:29 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

i dont know i am dumb...its the beer. i swear i am sober.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would check your plugs to see if any signs of detonation. Dont let perfect air to fuel ration fool you into thinking every thing is ok. Timing is everything, and the VFAC isnt the best at it.

art</TD></TR></TABLE>

detonation is white specs, correct? The plugs look pretty good, infact, alittle wet with fuel, but they look good. What gap should i be going with? basicly stock ignition here...What should i set my initial timing to? i think i'll go back to stock, ~17 degrees? I will order a hondata in about a week or so, but would really like to drive the car in the mean time...
Old 07-09-2003, 04:54 AM

Maybe you overlooked this......are you connecting your test plug with a piece of wire when you set your timing to override the ecu??
Old 07-11-2003, 02:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this? (Farnsrocket)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Farnsrocket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe you overlooked this......are you connecting your test plug with a piece of wire when you set your timing to override the ecu??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes i am infact...Messed with the car today alittle bit. If i turn the timing back to stock, the car will barely run on anything above idle. it'll just be VERY sluggish. I back it off, and it "pops" alittle at idle, but you can atleast drive the car. But then it won't go about 6k or so. A/F looks ok, plugs show no detonation...could my timing belt have skipped a tooth? i'll look at that tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would check your plugs to see if any signs of detonation. Dont let perfect air to fuel ration fool you into thinking every thing is ok. Timing is everything, and the VFAC isnt the best at it.

art</TD></TR></TABLE>

The VAFC isn't the best at what about timing? Jacking it way the hell advanced with the AFC hack? :/

With how the H22's stock sleeves/pistons are, and those shitty H22 ring lands, and that high compression, you may want to park the car yesterday and order the Hyundaidata last week. As Art says ignition timing is everything, and you have zero control of yours... zero idea what your timing is throughout the boost event.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this? (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The VAFC isn't the best at what about timing? Jacking it way the hell advanced with the AFC hack? :/

With how the H22's stock sleeves/pistons are, and those shitty H22 ring lands, and that high compression, you may want to park the car yesterday and order the Hyundaidata last week. As Art says ignition timing is everything, and you have zero control of yours... zero idea what your timing is throughout the boost event.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Going to try something out tonight, if it doesn't work, then i'll order a hondata soon.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:31 PM

I would check out your ICM (ignitor) and make sure all your connections are secure. Happened to me before. When is the last time you had a full tune-up and did you ever change out your fuel pump. H22's are known to love high static fuel pressure. And stock fuel pumps even after being more than 10 years of age will not flow accordingly..

My 2 cents..
Old 07-11-2003, 12:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this? (Jason kiDD)

I have not messed with my fuel pump, but it does sound like it could be part of the problem..Full tune up, such as cap/rotar etc? not too long, perhaps two months at the longest. I also have a MSD coil that i put on when i killed my stock dist. long ago. I will pull the cap off and check for any corrsion of any sort. Do i just need a Fuel pressure guage to check the pump?
Old 07-11-2003, 12:53 PM

Nah the thing is when I had my 91 Accord with the h22 in their I noticed bucking and such at low level part throttle and some other annoyances. Figuring that the stock pump being already 10 years old it just wasnt up to the task. I got a Venom high flow one and everything from there was gravy. Came to learn that stock Accord pumps especially in the 4th gens were not meant to flow like the lude engines are used to. I say change your pump if you havent done so already.. And your boosted using bigger injectors which may even worsen the situation for your pump..

The bitch is that you have to drop the tank to change it though.. Either venom or a nice 255 walbro will do you just fine and they are fairly cheap..
Old 07-11-2003, 01:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Attn: smart people. Why is my car doing this? (Jason kiDD)

Sounds fair. I'll get a walbro 255 then, but i'm going to order the hondata first. I am then going to ethier trailor or drive the car to Jotech and get tony1 to tune it.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If it is indeed the fuel pump, why does the car run better when i back off the timing a bunch?
Old 07-12-2003, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try previous answer, that had to do with ignition timing.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:31 AM

When you back off the timing from the distro its like adding more fuel so that's why the car seems to run better. I would upgrade the pump first then like evreryone says get some sort of fuel management like hondata then work from there.. I am just sharing my experiences with my engnie in NA form.. You are however turbo which would probaby cause more damage..