Notices

Attn. All GSR Greddy Turbo kit owners.. Need help..

Old 07-07-2001, 09:11 PM
BMW Güdentyte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn. All GSR Greddy Turbo kit owners.. Need help..

Ok! My buddies and I are installing a used Greddy Turbo kit for a DC2. It didn't come with instructions but the original owner said he'll fax 'em to me. We started installing the kit today. So far we got most of the hardware connected and installed like the turbo, exhaust mani, all the plumbing, intercooler and the injectors.

Here's a question. On those Greddy(even though it's mitsubishi) injectors. Did it ever came with new rubber bushing connecting to the head. You know the thick ones. Let me know what you've guys used because we just used the OEM ones. Tighten the screws up and it seated fine.

Next question. Did you guys have to cut the fan?

Next question. What ignition timing were your set to after the install. What kind of spark plugs (manufacturer preference and part #).

I need as much tips as possible from ya'll experts to run my car as reliable as can be. I know it's a bitch without the instructions but fortunately, my friends are a little mechanically inclined. I just don't like guessing games. Thanks. Appreciate it.
Old 07-08-2001, 01:51 AM
New User

Default Re: Attn. All GSR Greddy Turbo kit owners.. Need help.. (DB8GSR)

u got a greddy turbo..? o ****... sorry, not really related to the thread, but still.. o ****.. congrats.. u'll be rippin helal **** up
Old 07-08-2001, 02:22 AM
Better than steak

Ok! My buddies and I are installing a used Greddy Turbo kit for a DC2. It didn't come with instructions but the original owner said he'll fax 'em to me. We started installing the kit today. So far we got most of the hardware connected and installed like the turbo, exhaust mani, all the plumbing, intercooler and the injectors.

Here's a question. On those Greddy(even though it's mitsubishi) injectors. Did it ever came with new rubber bushing connecting to the head. You know the thick ones. Let me know what you've guys used because we just used the OEM ones. Tighten the screws up and it seated fine.

Next question. Did you guys have to cut the fan?

Next question. What ignition timing were your set to after the install. What kind of spark plugs (manufacturer preference and part #).

I need as much tips as possible from ya'll experts to run my car as reliable as can be. I know it's a bitch without the instructions but fortunately, my friends are a little mechanically inclined. I just don't like guessing games. Thanks. Appreciate it.
1. You can use the new rubber o-rings from Acura or Honda dealership.
2. I dont think you need to cut the fan.
3. You can leave the timing at stock or maybe 13-16deg.

Hope this helps,
art
Old 07-08-2001, 01:45 PM
BMW Güdentyte

Default Re: Attn. All GSR Greddy Turbo kit owners.. Need help.. (Arturbo)

Thanx art. Thus replacing the plugs even necessary. I got the stock ones on it for now. Can you tell me which plug would be best for this setup? If so, any brand names?

Jerry. This will be my last mod. Don't wanna put to much effort on it once I get this puppy in. Time to save up for a nice 4wd + turbo.... ya know what i mean..

Is woong ever on this board???
Old 07-08-2001, 01:56 PM
New User

Just get a set of NGK BKR7E-11's and gap em to .32 . Just be prepared to the possible chance of getting misfire codes once the car is up and running. I've been dealing with them for 5 months now but the car runs great.

Nick
Old 07-08-2001, 02:03 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Attn. All GSR Greddy Turbo kit owners.. Need help.. (boost killz)

I havent seen Woong in a long time. I sure he still visits but I havent seen him.

art
Old 07-08-2001, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make the stock bushings fit
no fan cutting
15 degrees
1 step colder plug
Old 07-09-2001, 06:58 AM
BMW Güdentyte

hey boost. Do you still have the instructions? I need to know where all the vacuum lines go... and also for the oil return line. Don't know where the skinny line goes (long one). I have a fax machine if you wanna fax the instructions to me... Let me know..
Old 07-09-2001, 11:29 PM
BMW Güdentyte

Oh my god. We finally got my turbo in..... Power is very amazing with this kit once the secondary intake runners open.. It was completely bolt on. No alterations. I might need to cut part of the fan 'cause it's rubbing on the turbo and makes this annoying buzzing sound when the fan is on. Other than that, i'm very pleased. Got some bugs to work on and we're hoping nothing really complicated 'cause the car runs very good without hesitations.

Thanks guys for the input. Peace Out.

Old 07-09-2001, 11:32 PM
Better than steak

Old 07-10-2001, 04:38 PM
New User

Default Re: Attn. All GSR Greddy Turbo kit owners.. Need help.. (Arturbo)

Damn! Here I am researching a Greddy turbo and I find this thread!! Ray, you weren't kidding when you said you were ready to feel the boost...

When you get eveything ironed out we need to get a meet together so I can check it out.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:21 PM
BMW Güdentyte

Default Re: Attn. All GSR Greddy Turbo kit owners.. Need help.. (South Bay GSR)

Hey Rod. Glad you made it. It was a good deal that I couldn't pass and end up with it. I'm down for another meet..... Prolly, CMI at Sac. on August... what do you think...
Old 07-11-2001, 06:58 AM
BMW Güdentyte

Art or Boost or anyone...

What is your stock boost? My guage read 0.5 bar (7.35 psi thanks art) if I converted that correctly. I thought stock boost was 5 psi from the factory... Is it even safe to run at that boost level with all my stock internals?

Do you have cold plugs? If you do, how much did you gap it for..

My car is running fine with the stock plugs and is set to 15 degrees on the timing. I heard other people that they get misfires after gapping the new plug in..

What kind of oil are best for the turbo and engine? Let me know if 5w-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic is okay.

Is it true that turbo timers won't work well if you have an alarm system?

Also, does your car drinks fuel like a slurpy? I have a fuel gauge but haven't installed it.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just paranoid...

[Modified by DB8GSR, 7:59 AM 7/11/2001]
Old 07-11-2001, 07:18 AM
New User

Depends, is your car intercooled?? If so depending on how the vaccum lines are connected you should hit a solid 8 psi and if you threw the kit in non intercooled 7.5 sounds about right but I highly reccommend the colder plugs beofre you keep porking on the gas. The misfires may come up but they don't affect performance I am using NGK BKR7E-11's gapped at .32. Greddy says the boost from factory can vary between 5-7 psi but don't sweat it. I myself as far as precaution and to monitor got a autometer boost(of course), a/f, and greddy egt gauge. Its been 6 months now on the kit problem free besides the misfires.
Old 07-11-2001, 07:31 AM
BMW Güdentyte

Boost. I couldn't reply to your IM 'cause you've banned me .. j/k

Not sure if it's true but when gapping a colder plug and don't have an aftermarket ignition (whatever that msd box is called), the safest gap you can do is 28-30. With the box, it can vary up to 36... I already got the plugs but still contemplating which gap i should use.

What about my other questions...
Old 07-11-2001, 09:47 AM
New User

I tried gapping at .28 with the stock timing and heard some pinging up top at about 7k rpm.. Be careful man, but anyhow did you find out what code the ecu was throwing?
Old 07-11-2001, 10:54 AM
New User

I have a Drag Gen 3 kit but as far as turbo setups goes...

I had it in for 1 year so far and these are the recommended steps to take
to insure survival.

I recommend BKR7Es (pregapped to .32) or BKR7E-11s and gap them to .32.

I run 10w30 Mobil 1. I heard Castrol syntec leaves less residue but both of them are good.

Change oil every 2200-2500 miles. AND change plugs every 1 1/2 month or when you change the oil. Spark plugs loose consistency really quickily
at the low gap level. Your idling will be better on newer plugs.

I ran 11+ pounds of boost on a T3/T4 for a little while with no problems.
But cut it back to 6 pounds when I installed the TiAL (stock spring).

I am on stock internals.

all you have to do honestly is upgrade the fuel delivery, retard the timing, change oil/spark plugs frequently, have fail proof spark wires and have a
S/AFC to lean out the fuel mixture if you ever upgrade the injectors.

I have 310cc injectors and I am bogging nasty. However I never ever experienced a knock, ping or detonation (rocks in a can) sounds.
Of'course I don't gun it all the time and boost like crazy but in moderation I think you will have no problems.

I have 1998 integra GSR with 43k+ miles on it and I still got a 192 compression across all 4 pistons.

Good luck!

-AzianAvenger
Old 07-11-2001, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the DENSO iridium plugs and gapped them to .29 and running stock timing. With a stright pipe and no seats but driver, I did a 12.390 at 111.11mph at 12-13psi. This is with nothing else special done to the kit except a BOV and of course the type 24 intercooler. Daily driven! Never had a problem with this kit.
Old 07-14-2001, 01:51 PM
BMW Güdentyte

Default Re: Attn. All GSR Greddy Turbo kit owners.. Need help.. (Gmedalion)

Ok guys. thanks a lot for the tips.

I finally found what the check engine light code is. It's the primary O2 sensor (code 41). Now, my car has 28k on the odo and can someone explain how'd on O2 sensor gone bad after the turbo was installed. It had a check engine light once the car was started for the first time. It was a bad wiring on the MAP sensor part where you would've cut the wire then connect.

anyways. The car runs fine now especially with the new NGK coldel plugs. I had no idea that an O2 sensor for the GSR would actually cost me $140 bucks from KRAGEN or $240 bucks at the dealership. What a ripoff. I don't think it's a good idea to buy that sensor now unless it's really the problem. No more dough, i tell ya..

Here's a pix of the finish setup...

Thanks again..
Old 07-14-2001, 03:16 PM
New User

Hey DB8 I just got a greddy kit but instead of the turbo I got a Black satin 20G clipped ported, blue printed, and balanced (sorry had to throw that in there) Anways did your kit come with the blue box or whatever it is? I really dont know what it is used for and am wondering how I can bypass it. Did use it? If not what did you do to get around it. Thanks and good luck with your new turbo setup!!
Old 07-14-2001, 06:18 PM
BMW Güdentyte

Default Re: Attn. All GSR Greddy Turbo kit owners.. Need help.. (SpecFIB18)

If the blue box you're referring to with all the wires, yeah that's the FCU. Fuel Control Unit. I think it's mandatory for that particular box to be installed inorder to get the right amount of fuel dumped at a certain rpm. Probably you can bypass the ecu but be prepared with dozen of codes getting thrown out.. hehe

Whoah!! How did you manage a 20G...
Old 07-15-2001, 08:24 PM
Trial User

woong has started to stray away from his interests on land, and is focusing more on aquatic stuff....heh
I'll try to track him down for you....he does hang around honda-acura a bit though, he's a ricer at heart
Old 07-15-2001, 08:48 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Attn. All GSR Greddy Turbo kit owners.. Need help.. (Ricehornet)

yea aquatics green pool for example and my suicidal fish
Old 07-17-2001, 08:20 PM

Bro..i had the same problem...im getting a random misfire...y is that...and my check engine is on for a while..anything i should do to get rid of the check engine...thanks my plugs are bcpr7es...one step colder and the timing is retarded by two degrees..and i had a type r cams...thanks need all the help
Old 07-17-2001, 08:24 PM

its me again i was wonderin if ur check engine is on constanly...coz mine is on all the time...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attn. All GSR Greddy Turbo kit owners.. Need help..