Notices

Assistance Needed: Turbo civic - Setting physical timing. Same procedure as NA or no?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance Needed: Turbo civic - Setting physical timing. Same procedure as NA or no?

Hi guys,

I have a friend that has a turbo gsr and he just recently blew his head gasket. I will be helping him replace the head gasket, I have replaced several head gaskets on NA civics, integras, and other cars but I have never done it on a turbo car. My question is how do I get the car back to the correct timing since he car has been tuned? Do I mark the position of the distributor with a sharpie? since most tuners set timing at 16 degrees on the car and hondata as well before they begin to tune just to make sure that the car's timing matches with the timing in hondata otherwise it could be a few degrees off which can be catastrophic. Someone please guide me on how to do this correctly so the car can still hold the same timing with the tune. Thanks
Old 08-17-2018, 08:10 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Assistance Needed: Turbo civic - Setting physical timing. Same procedure as NA or no?

If he still has the distributor and physical timing wasn't changed outside of 16*, it would be just like your NA head gasket changes. There would be no change in your procedure.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Assistance Needed: Turbo civic - Setting physical timing. Same procedure as NA or

Originally Posted by TheShodan
If he still has the distributor and physical timing wasn't changed outside of 16*, it would be just like your NA head gasket changes. There would be no change in your procedure.
Like always, Thanks Shodan.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Assistance Needed: Turbo civic - Setting physical timing. Same procedure as NA or

Originally Posted by Todallybuilt
Like always, Thanks Shodan.
best to use a timing light, before and after to be extra safe...things could change slightly with head milling, gasket thickness etc
Old 08-17-2018, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
best to use a timing light, before and after to be extra safe...things could change slightly with head milling, gasket thickness etc
Thanks for the suggestion 2kdrift. Your right is better to be safe.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

So what should be done with ignition timing should mechanical be advanced or retarded?
Old 08-17-2018, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You "should" leave it at 16 and make your ignition timing changes within the ems that's the best way.

but unless your tunning your own car it would depend on how the original tune was set and what they may have or not have done. That's why I said to check before hand that way you can verify what the tuner set mechanical timing to.

some tuners will retard your timing but that just confuses your ignition map within your ems and if it's ever advanced at all kiss your engine good bye
Old 08-17-2018, 03:15 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Cosign... With the goal being stock timing
Old 08-17-2018, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You "should" leave it at 16 and make your ignition timing changes within the ems that's the best way.

but unless your tunning your own car it would depend on how the original tune was set and what they may have or not have done. That's why I said to check before hand that way you can verify what the tuner set mechanical timing to.

some tuners will retard your timing but that just confuses your ignition map within your ems and if it's ever advanced at all kiss your engine good bye
This!

My very first turbo build over 10 years ago my tuner (English racing) set base mechanical timing to 12* instead of the standard 16*. I was damn glad I checked before hand and called them to confirm before I blindly over advanced my ignition timing.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr

This!

My very first turbo build over 10 years ago my tuner (English racing) set base mechanical timing to 12* instead of the standard 16*. I was damn glad I checked before hand and called them to confirm before I blindly over advanced my ignition timing.
damn good thing I asked. Boosted94gsr that would of sucked big time, good thing you checked otherwise you would of been way off and the timing would have been deadly on your engine.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Todallybuilt
damn good thing I asked. Boosted94gsr that would of sucked big time, good thing you checked otherwise you would of been way off and the timing would have been deadly on your engine.
Yeah 4 degrees advanced over what it was tuned for on 92 pump gas would have been disastrous.