Notices

Assistance Needed: LSVtec turbo build parts list and recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance Needed: LSVtec turbo build parts list and recommendations

Hello, I am building a lsvtec turbo motor. I am shooting for the 300-400 hp range reliably.
Here is my parts list so far
SUPERTECH TI RETAINERS & DUAL VALVE SPRING KIT Integra GSR B18C / Civic B16A
VTEC HEAD CONVERSION KIT - LS B18 B20 ALUMINUM ADAPTER PLATE SANDWICH SET PURPLE
ALUMINUM HEADER/MANIFOLD/EXHAUST GASKET 94-01 INTEGRA TYPE-R DC B-SERIES B16 B18
Acura Integra GSR Intake Manifold Gasket Nippon Reinz Made In Japan 17105P72004
AROSPEED MAGNETIC OIL & TRANSMISSION DRAIN PLUG SET FOR HONDA ACURA RED
Fits 94-01 Acura Integra GSR Type-R 1.8L B18C1 B18C5 Timing Belt Water Pump Kit
96-01 Acura Honda B16A2 B18B1 B18C B20 Stock Pressure Black Coating Oil Pump
ACURA HONDA ACL BEARINGS Kit B16A B17A1 B18 B18B1 B20 B20Z2 STANDARD SIZE
Supertech Valve Stem Seals B16 B18 B17 D16 H22 Honda Civic Integra GSR Type R SI
I have a GSR P72-2 head that I am planning on lightly porting and polishing aswell as installing the new valve seals and lapping the valves.
I am planning on buying arp gsr head studs and arp ls rod bolts (some rods I saw come with arp rod studs so I am going to wait on that till i choose my rods)
What I am kindof confused on is selecting a good piston and rod. I heard that low compression is good for a turbo build but I heard you only really need it when you are going for more then 450
Should I shoot for a stock compression ratio?
I was thinking of eagle rods and pistons 81mm stock bore
I am going to hone my block
My cam shafts have some slight rust on them so I am probably going to replace them could anyone suggest a good camshaft for my build?
I am planning on running a td04 turbo off a 2003 subaru wrx my freind told me the stock waste gate was set at 9lbs of boost. I have a ram horn manifold I made a conversion pipe to convert the two flanges so I can always buy a t3 t4 and stick it on.
I have a intercooler and blow off valve off a wrx too. I am planning on tig welding all the piping myself.
I also have a skunk 2 intake manifold and I believe 70mm throttle body for the gsr head.
I am kindof confused on the fuel aspect, obviously I need bigger injectors and a way to tune. What size injectors do you think I would need to run safely? how about like a aftermarket map sensor? what tuning program do you guys recommend?
will this build get me to my power goal? Can anyone make any suggestions or anything ive forgot?
sorry for the noob questions everyones gotta start somewhere tho.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default re: Assistance Needed: LSVtec turbo build parts list and recommendations

Your best bet is to read the Forced Induction FAQ stickied at the top of the Forced Induction section. This will answer most if not all of your questions. Without sounding like a smartass, go read that entire FAQ! thread and then come back and post specific questions you need clarity on.

What I can tell you up front is that a TD04 from a WRX is much too small for a LS/VTEC turbo and the same applies for the WRX intercooler which is a top mount setup to begin with.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Assistance Needed: LSVtec turbo build parts list and recommendations

Why do you think its too small? Will it spool to quick? im not looking to push a massive amount of boost, I think id be better off having a smaller turbo that spools quicker. then a bigger turbo then I need. I dont see why the intercooler would be a problem. My plan was to modify it to fit the front. you guys r prolly gonna think im a hack, but I made a pipe to go from my ram horn down to a 90 degree bend then sticking right out the front were the bumper goes. my turbo sits on a flange on the end of that pipe with the intercooler next too it adding a extra 6 inches to the front end of my car. its a goofy set up but it should work.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Are you doing this because you are on a very tight budget or because you don't know any better? Like why get a bunch of Subaru parts that you have to modify and fab instead of getting something specifically for your car?
Old 05-12-2017, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well a bit of both, first of all just because why not? who the hell has a subie turbo on a honda, like every build I see is pretty much the exact same, production parts thrown together. and im a broke *** kid. I can afford a turbo, its just the last step of my build. I want to build it with the ls vtec first then try the small turbo and when i get bored with that just buy a garret and slap it back on. pretty stupid and its the hard way to do things but why the hell not.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

It's your build so you can do whatever you want. If you are asking why not do it your way, well for me I would want to use proper parts from the get go. I wouldn't want to rig up Subaru intercoolers to try and work with a Honda. I would get a better turbo and do it all right from the beginning and not rig stuff up to see how it all works just to have to do it all over again later.

But it sounds like you got everything already figured out and I guess time will tell how well it works out.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Assistance Needed: LSVtec turbo build parts list and recommendations

tubos really not a big factor. making the pipings not a huge problem for me, a day of work. I may just make it all with the right turbo tho, due to the fact if i pay money at a dyno to get it tuned I only want to do it once. ignore my backwards *** turbo design. What do you think of my bottom end though? any suggestions for rods and pistons or a compression ratio to shoot for. I need to get my head decked so that will up my compression ever so slightly. I want this car to run well without the turbo so I dont want to do some crazy low compression build that needs the turbo to run well.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Assistance Needed: LSVtec turbo build parts list and recommendations

Originally Posted by toxictom
tubos really not a big factor. making the pipings not a huge problem for me, a day of work. I may just make it all with the right turbo tho, due to the fact if i pay money at a dyno to get it tuned I only want to do it once. ignore my backwards *** turbo design. What do you think of my bottom end though? any suggestions for rods and pistons or a compression ratio to shoot for. I need to get my head decked so that will up my compression ever so slightly. I want this car to run well without the turbo so I dont want to do some crazy low compression build that needs the turbo to run well.
Comes asking for recommendations, doesn't even want them. Classic. I'm all for making whatever parts work on whatever car but this is just a Frankenstein build thread, no reason to ask for suggestions when you've obviously already made up your mind .
Old 05-28-2017, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I admit it is a Frankenstein build but I came asking if what I am building would work. I admit that yes I am turning down the advice of do things right but i came here asking for help with building a engine not for suggestions on my turbo.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Well I admit it is a Frankenstein build but I came asking if what I am building would work. I admit that yes I am turning down the advice of do things right but i came here asking for help with building a engine not for suggestions on my turbo.
I think we understand that purpose of the engine build. What I believe my colleagues are suggesting is the fact that your engine build efforts are all for naught based upon the turbocharger that you're choosing. You're attempting to port & polish a VTEC head, (which is completely unnecessary, even for turbochargers that are capable of 2x the amount of airflow,) . You're changing camshafts unnecessarily (because they "look" rusty, but can be polished out), and you're rehoning a block for 81mm, for again, unnecessary reasons that don't make sense for this type of build.

Lastly, you're planning on using an intercooler (forget the turbo) that's inefficient even for a Subaru, and yet you want to use this equipment for an engine that is over 35% more efficient from the beginning before you even perform these other tasks.

So, it's all connected in many different ways that you may not be aware of.

Please, try not to get easily offended or think that we're focusing on the wrong areas of your ideas. We're not. We're giving advice based upon the areas and needs that you don't see.
IMHO, don't waste your time with doing these other things to the engine while utilizing a terrible turbocharger and intercooler setup.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly I get were ur coming from. I havent built this motor yet but I just threw a new b18 with a b20 head and it lasted for two days before I got a rod knock. i picked up another b20 for 50 bucks. any tips for building a reliable car and getting these motors to run as well as possible
Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All the subie parts prolly arent even cost effective. Your gonna spend good money just getting the stuff to fit?

Did you actually read the FAQ? It breaks down barney style what you need for a reliable car. And even tells you when your gonna need to jump to another level.

You keep asking questions that are literally stickied at the top of the forum. And have been discussed 100X over.

If you just take the time to read everything will make sense. Then all you gotta do is come back and let us know what you decided to go with.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly I get were ur coming from. I havent built this motor yet but I just threw a new b18 with a b20 head and it lasted for two days before I got a rod knock. i picked up another b20 for 50 bucks. any tips for building a reliable car and getting these motors to run as well as possible
step 1 don't use the ebay parts that you listed in your original post

step 2 read the FAQ.

there's literally an entire section devoted to building a reliable b20/ls vtec motor