Notices

Assistance needed: BW S362 creates (Blue) oil smoke during idle conditions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance needed: BW S362 creates (Blue) oil smoke during idle conditions

Turbo K20 with a s362 using a divided housing, sometimes at idle or when coasting, I get some blue smoke from the exhaust as if a turbo seal is going bad. Been getting worse. Used to run a 6262 precision and went through the same thing multiple times. Just want to know if it's something with my setup that's causing issues with these turbos. -4 oil feed coming from an oil filter housing adapter. -10 drain to the pan. Fitting at the feed on the turbo is a 90 degree and the feed line also has a 90 degree bend at the turbo. Straight fitting from the oil filter housing. The return line has a 90 degree fitting at the turbo outlet and at the pan. Running shell rotella 15w40. Are the 90 degree fittings too much? Or could the oil im using be an issue? Was told not to run a restrictor on either the precision or BW.

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-11-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: Assistance needed: BW S362 creates (Blue) oil smoke during idle conditions

definetly no restrictor on the BW, hmm 2 90s on your drain that may be your problem right there
Old 10-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Assistance needed: BW S362 creates (Blue) oil smoke during idle conditions

Yea I thought that might be an issue. Are 45's still too much? I doubt I can fit a 30 or a straight on there, especially off the turbo. Got very little clearance
Old 10-11-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Get those 90s off of there. That's a problem. Show the layout of your oil drain return system in connection with the exhaust manifold you're using. Your "seals" are not going bad, in fact, they're doing their job. It's an oil back-up issue from your return line that is causing the problem.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Assistance needed: BW S362 creates (Blue) oil smoke during idle conditions

Originally Posted by Psychoteen101
Yea I thought that might be an issue. Are 45's still too much? I doubt I can fit a 30 or a straight on there, especially off the turbo. Got very little clearance

Yea as stated please post some pics kinda hard to visualize whats going on without those. as far as using 2 45* it depends on the overall slop which we need to see pics to really tell whats going on, In general the less angles the better. I use a straight fitting off my turbo and a 45* at the pan works perfectly with my ram horn and b series motor.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Assistance needed: BW S362 creates (Blue) oil smoke during idle conditions

feed line
Old 10-12-2016, 02:48 PM

This is not good. Not at all. Not the worst, but not helping the situation.

Yikes. This is why you're having this oil back up. This needs to be removed immediately for something directly straight in. Your oil flow is terrible in this case.

Your oil feed line is twisted a bit, otherwise fine, even with that 90* there, unless the CHRA is not completely vertical. Another picture zoomed out will determine if the CHRA orientation is correct.

I think we have found several issues here, but can be figured out no problem.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Shodan. As usual, you come through with the best info. CHRA? Unfamiliar with that term. The turbo itself on the manifold sits on an upward angle, maybe 20 degrees or so. It's a BWR manifold. Is a 45 off the turbo fine for the drain? I don't think I have enough clearance for a straight fitting with a line. And straight fitting out of the oil pan? Or straight up and down as opposed to the 45 degree angle I have it at now?
Old 10-12-2016, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

center hub rotating assembly, its the center portion of the tubro.

feed line should be near 12 oclock position and the drain should be near 6 oclock, this is important as the oil drain is based on gravity a zoomed out pic of the orientation would be nice
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2016, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
center hub rotating assembly, its the center portion of the tubro.

feed line should be near 12 oclock position and the drain should be near 6 oclock, this is important as the oil drain is based on gravity a zoomed out pic of the orientation would be nice
After zooming out on my monitor, my God, that oil feed is horrible, due to the orientation of the CHRA. Get that oil feed pointing straight up towards the bonnet of the car.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea feed looks to be at about 9 oclock, which would put drain at 3 oclock if im seeing things right just didnt wanna jump to conclusions
Old 10-13-2016, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
Yea feed looks to be at about 9 oclock, which would put drain at 3 oclock if im seeing things right just didnt wanna jump to conclusions
I thought the same thing at first. It looks like the silver part at the bottom of the pic is the valve cover though. The pic looks like it is from the top down.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I think its oriented right. The picture makes it look 90 degrees lol.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Per my own recent experience dealing with multiple multiple (did I say multiple?) drain line configurations, two 90's on the drain is no good for the amount of oil you're pumping through. You're not running a restrictor on the feed line, correct? A single 45 degree coming off the bottom is actually fine as long as your drain from the center housing is pointed straight down (or less than 15') but you want it smooth going into the oil pan. Some people are scared of a 45 on the drain but you can flow a lot through that angle. A lot of oil return lines typically make tighter angles than 45' anyway in the drop.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I think its oriented right. The picture makes it look 90 degrees lol.
Yeah, it took a while, I'm still getting dizzy from the angle.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:35 AM

OPTIMAL

This can work but not the best

Lightningteg's Version is the best configuration

Top of Lightningteg's turbo for oil feed. Notice the vertical orientation is straight up/down

Lightningteg's oil line configuration with water lines attached

Feed line with inline oil filter. see how far away it is from the exhaust manifold?

Old 10-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
OPTIMAL
Whoa, anyone notice that the return bung is on bottom of oil pan? What's up with that?
Old 10-13-2016, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by mrdrpep
Whoa, anyone notice that the return bung is on bottom of oil pan? What's up with that?
That's on a Moroso. Different baffling. It can be down there........ Concentrate on the ROUTING of the line in that photo. (Smooth "J" slope. from a completely vertically configured turbocharger) . That's the point of showing these as examples.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I knew what you were demonstrating and I didn't want to get off topic but I had no idea about baffling to that extent in an oil pan.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Appreciate the pictures to give me an idea. The chra is pretty close to straight up and down. Picture doesn't give the best idea. I wish the drain line was as easy to route as all those B series setups in the pictures. I will have to take a look this weekend and see what I can do to make a 45 work. I know it's pretty tight under there for clearance. I should be able to make something work at the pan. A Straight fitting will probably give me better clearance between the half shaft, cause the drain is uncomfortablely close to that. Will leaving the setup like this eventually damage the turbo? Cause this is pretty much the same setup for the drain I've had for years. And my precision needed a rebuild for blown seals it seemed like once a season.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Psychoteen101
Appreciate the pictures to give me an idea. The chra is pretty close to straight up and down. Picture doesn't give the best idea. I wish the drain line was as easy to route as all those B series setups in the pictures. I will have to take a look this weekend and see what I can do to make a 45 work. I know it's pretty tight under there for clearance. I should be able to make something work at the pan. A Straight fitting will probably give me better clearance between the half shaft, cause the drain is uncomfortablely close to that. Will leaving the setup like this eventually damage the turbo? Cause this is pretty much the same setup for the drain I've had for years. And my precision needed a rebuild for blown seals it seemed like once a season.
I'd never have this oil setup any longer than possible. But some turbochargers are more sensitive to this setup than others, regardless of how bad it really is for it.
Precision oil sealing rings will not be able to withstand the oil going through them for long. Change this ASAP.. OR, rebuild another Precision again and again and again and .. (well, you obviously get my point. )
Old 10-13-2016, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan

Feed line with inline oil filter. see how far away it is from the exhaust manifold?
Don't want to thread jack but what inline filter do you recommend on feed line? I have a real easily accessible spot now for an inline filter. The connection point currently is an4 so I could adapt to it.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrdrpep
Don't want to thread jack but what inline filter do you recommend on feed line? I have a real easily accessible spot now for an inline filter. The connection point currently is an4 so I could adapt to it.

Inline Oil Filter - Woodward Machine