Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Assistance Needed:B16A Turbocharged CRX w/ inconsistent rpm under positive pressure.

Assistance Needed:B16A Turbocharged CRX w/ inconsistent rpm under positive pressure.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Assistance Needed:B16A Turbocharged CRX w/ inconsistent rpm under positive pressu

Originally Posted by MastaFlyMason View Post
I'm trying to source an OEM one now but this is the third dizzy that I've tried
Hows the dizzy harness? and also the ECU harness conversion? sounds like it may be something else than..
Old 05-02-2019, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Assistance Needed:B16A Turbocharged CRX w/ inconsistent rpm under positive pressu

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr View Post
Hows the dizzy harness? and also the ECU harness conversion? sounds like it may be something else than..
ECU harness is a Rywire I just put in. The dizzy harness is an eBay one, think I should grab the Rywire?
Old 05-02-2019, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it works fine back to stock, maybe something with the box itself then?
Old 05-02-2019, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ECU harness is a Rywire I just put in. The dizzy harness is an eBay one, think I should grab the Rywire?
Well Rywire is legit not so much EBAY, most of these are cheap china made products so its a hit or miss. My ECU harness from Ebay worked for a while then I had issues and got a different brand that was like 3X the price but im not sure because this sounds like it can be a ground issue, not too long ago my Map sensor wires I had cut to make longer years ago out of no where started grounding each other out causing the engine to literally drop idle or shut off completely while driving randomly, I could touch the Map sensor harness wires with my hand even very slightly and the engine would sputter, I re did the wires more clean with solder cause the heat shrink wasn't enough! what im getting to is check any wires that could potentially be grounding out.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon View Post
If it works fine back to stock, maybe something with the box itself then?
Like mentioned above [There is no reason to utilize that ignition box other than to add one more electrical device to the "possible failure list" in your engine bay] cut out all the stuff that could cause other issues like this ignition box till you narrow it down with a OEM Distributor. This is just my opinion because Im certain a good working distributor should not give you these issues with your setup as far as HP goes. Have you tried any other spark gaps yet since the last one?
Old 05-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took the gap down to .018mm still no good. I can't find a good OEM dizzy anywhere. I saw a used one on eBay but for the price I'd be paying I could buy the COP kit from Burton Racing.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:53 PM

I took the gap down to .018mm still no good. I can't find a good OEM dizzy anywhere. I saw a used one on eBay but for the price I'd be paying I could buy the COP kit from Burton Racing.
PM Me. I might have a good TD44 available...
Old 05-03-2019, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Even with a COP kit you need a good OEM distributor housing with good working sensors inside. Just something to keep in mind!
Old 05-03-2019, 04:57 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly OEM ignition should be fine to above 400whp if everything is functioning properly.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, all the 92-00 B/D series (not sure about H) share the same trigger sensors. I've scored countless OEM D series distributors that no one wants and swapped the guts into a b series vtec housing with no issues. Just have to make sure you buy the correct OBD to match your wiring harness.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer View Post
Also, all the 92-00 B/D series (not sure about H) share the same trigger sensors. I've scored countless OEM D series distributors that no one wants and swapped the guts into a b series vtec housing with no issues. Just have to make sure you buy the correct OBD to match your wiring harness.
Yes even the non vtec LS will work if the mounting hole is cut away on one end. I used the Coil and ICM from my 2000 civic D series in my 99 B series distributor.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to know, I can probably find a d alternator around here. I have an update. I messed with the car all day. Checked grounds, checked connections, used dialectric grease on all connections. Still the same. I was pulling the plugs and I noticed #1 and #2 were soaked in oil. I'm thinking my issue might be as soon as I put the plugs in they are fouling out from oil. Also as stated in the original post I have an oil leak on near those 2 plugs and it's all over the front of the block and on the timing cover. I have no idea what to think now. I did another compression test, it was fine. Drained the oil, wasn't milky. Looked into the radiator, no milkshake. How could oil even be getting in there? #3 and #4 looked fine but #1 and 2 were soaked. The only thing I can think is the shitty valve cover. I have a Mugen rep cover with 10an fittings welded on from a member here, thinking possibly it is warped or something. But the oil was on the bottom of the plugs. It's possible it came from the top and I didn't notice when I pulled the plugs out but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

EDIT: I also found an OBD1 d series dizzy. Does just the icm and coil need swapped or literally everything in the dizzy case?

Last edited by MastaFlyMason; 05-03-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to know, I can probably find a d alternator around here. I have an update. I messed with the car all day. Checked grounds, checked connections, used dialectric grease on all connections. Still the same. I was pulling the plugs and I noticed #1 and #2 were soaked in oil. I'm thinking my issue might be as soon as I put the plugs in they are fouling out from oil. Also as stated in the original post I have an oil leak on near those 2 plugs and it's all over the front of the block and on the timing cover. I have no idea what to think now. I did another compression test, it was fine. Drained the oil, wasn't milky. Looked into the radiator, no milkshake. How could oil even be getting in there? #3 and #4 looked fine but #1 and 2 were soaked. The only thing I can think is the shitty valve cover. I have a Mugen rep cover with 10an fittings welded on from a member here, thinking possibly it is warped or something. But the oil was on the bottom of the plugs. It's possible it came from the top and I didn't notice when I pulled the plugs out but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

EDIT: I also found an OBD1 d series dizzy. Does just the icm and coil need swapped or literally everything in the dizzy case?
Hold off on a new dizzy for now! I think you may have found the issue which is common. The valve cover tube seals for the spark plugs are notorious for leaking especially on a D series engine, the grommets are not the same as B series, any way more than likely your tube seals are leaking in the spark plugs, Buy your self a OEM VC gasket and tube seals as well. Use a small dab of Hondbond on each corner of the VC gasket. Also take a gander behind the timing cover on the side of the head under your cam gears and make sure its dry with no oil, if there is oil leaking out then its possible your cam seals will also need to be replaced. It could still be from the VC gasket but usually you can tell if the cam gear seals are leaking, its not that common unless it was not installed properly previously.

You will deff have those issues if the plugs are soaked in oil, its possible at high rpm the pressure is forcing the oil past the tube seals.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr View Post
Hold off on a new dizzy for now! I think you may have found the issue which is common. The valve cover tube seals for the spark plugs are notorious for leaking especially on a D series engine, the grommets are not the same as B series, any way more than likely your tube seals are leaking in the spark plugs, Buy your self a OEM VC gasket and tube seals as well. Use a small dab of Hondbond on each corner of the VC gasket. Also take a gander behind the timing cover on the side of the head under your cam gears and make sure its dry with no oil, if there is oil leaking out then its possible your cam seals will also need to be replaced. It could still be from the VC gasket but usually you can tell if the cam gear seals are leaking, its not that common unless it was not installed properly previously.

You will deff have those issues if the plugs are soaked in oil, its possible at high rpm the pressure is forcing the oil past the tube seals.
Will do. I'm waiting on my new valve cover to be powder coated at the moment. Going to get new valve cover gasket and check cam seals when I replace it. In the mean time I'm going to replace the eBay distributor adapter for peace of mind. Will put a new set of plugs in at the same time. Will update with results. Thanks!!
Old 05-15-2019, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an update: My valve cover was warped which is where the oil in the plug tubes and side of the block were coming from. This issue is resolved. Still having the breakup issue. I've now tried 3 distributors, new spark plug wires, an Accel coil, and nothing seems to help. However I've found more upon further diagnosis which will hopefully help. The car drives almost perfectly with VTEC disabled. It will rev out all the way, and not break up. I drove it like this all day and it didn't have an issue. As soon as I turned VTEC back on all my issues returned. VTEC is set at 5k RPM in my tune. As soon as I hit 5k RPM it breaks up completely and won't let me rev any higher. I tested my oil pressure and it is within spec ([email protected]) I swapped on a new VTEC solenoid and that didn't fix it. No CEL codes. When I tested oil pressure I used a mechanical gauge. Originally I tried tapping into the VTEC pressure switch port and got 0psi while running. Is this normal? When I hooked it up to where the stock sensor was I got 30psi at idle and [email protected] Should I bother checking VTEC wiring or should it be good since it throws no CEL? VTEC spool and pressure switch both kick on according to Smanager. Also I ordered another engine harness and I'm going to try to swap that over, it's one of the only things I haven't changed yet. Help me pls I need this thing to rip

Forgot to mention I checked over a bunch of little stuff as well. All grounds are new, added extra grounds as well. Everything is sanded and making good contact. I swapped in a different ECU with no luck. Double checked ignition timing, base timing, valve lash, compression this morning. All is well.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar issue and it turned out that my mechanical timing was, on fact, off. Timing was out of synch by about 5. Ignition timing I could not get more than 14. I had to pull my damn crank pulley off to verify crank at tdc. I was out by half a tooth.. D'oh!! Anyhow.. I would run fine til VTEC, then the bitch fell on her face. Drunk as **** she felt.. I disabled VTEC and it ran ok. That's when I checked everything.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar issue and it turned out that my mechanical timing was, on fact, off. Timing was out of synch by about 5. Ignition timing I could not get more than 14. I had to pull my damn crank pulley off to verify crank at tdc. I was out by half a tooth.. D'oh!! Anyhow.. I would run fine til VTEC, then the bitch fell on her face. Drunk as **** she felt.. I disabled VTEC and it ran ok. That's when I checked everything.
I just checked again today. I aligned the camshaft notches and checked the crank pulley and it was right on tdc. I set the ignition timing to 16 degrees in smanager and checked with my timing light and it looked to be right in the middle of the 3 lines on the crank pulley which I believe is 16 degrees. I guess I could double check that the crank pulley tdc line is actually true Tdc but it looks like an original pulley
Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with Txdragon... I have seen this same symptom many times and the solution has almost always been that ONE cam is a single tooth off. The idle is good... the part throttle is good... the WOT low cam performance is seemingly normal... and when the VTEC crossover occurs, things go downhill fast. You say that everything lines up correctly... and if we assume that this is true, lets talk about what can make it "look" correct and actually be incorrect. What camshafts do you have ??? What cam gears ??? Is there any apparent damage to any of the three woodruff keys ???
Old 05-16-2019, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
I agree with Txdragon... I have seen this same symptom many times and the solution has almost always been that ONE cam is a single tooth off. The idle is good... the part throttle is good... the WOT low cam performance is seemingly normal... and when the VTEC crossover occurs, things go downhill fast. You say that everything lines up correctly... and if we assume that this is true, lets talk about what can make it "look" correct and actually be incorrect. What camshafts do you have ??? What cam gears ??? Is there any apparent damage to any of the three woodruff keys ???
Stock cam gears and stock cams. Woodruff key looked fine last time I saw it but I can double check on it. While I'm at it I'll also double check that tdc on the pulley is actually tdc.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock cam gears and stock cams. Woodruff key looked fine last time I saw it but I can double check on it. While I'm at it I'll also double check that tdc on the pulley is actually tdc.
Stock pulley? Mine at that time was a VMS and it had some hand in this debacle as well. That's why I had to remove it to check the lower timing gear to be sure. Turns out the notches on the pulley were off..
Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock pulley? Mine at that time was a VMS and it had some hand in this debacle as well. That's why I had to remove it to check the lower timing gear to be sure. Turns out the notches on the pulley were off..
Yup stock pulley. I'm gonna run out to the garage later and pull it and make sure the notch behind lines up and check the woodruff key
Old 05-16-2019, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you may be right. Looks fine with the pulley on and the keyway looked fine but when I pulled it up and aligned with the oil pump it seems like it's off a tooth.

This is with the cams aligned and the crank pulley at TDC according to the line on the pulley

This is the crank pulley aligned at TDC

This is what I believe to be TDC without the crank pulley installed. I circled what I believe to be the marking on the crank gear and the mark on the oil pump

This is what my cams looked like after I aligned to TDC without the crank pulley installed and by going off of the oil pump

Another zoomed picture of the cam gear alignment marks after trying TDC to get to TDC without the crank pulley

Am I off a tooth? It looks pretty close and I'm thinking maybe I'm just not perfectly lining up the crank pulley gear up to the alignment mark on the oil pump it's a bit harder to do than matching pulley to cover
Old 05-16-2019, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You seem to be in the same boat I was in. Lol! Looks like we may have found your issue. I know on the D16Z6, the timing belt dance is finicky. I have to set my cam first before I tension the belt because once the belt is put on, I need to rotate the crank about half a tooth or so to get tension on the left side. So I will set cam to tdc, remove the belt, then go half a tooth over on the crank gear, put the belt back on both and rotate left. This way, when the slack comes out of the belt, my marks all line up proper. If you're not careful, you can wind up in this scenario here. But, that's a single stick. If tensioning your belt is the same, that may help get ya in the right zone!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe I am looking at it with my crooked eye... but your pic with the crank gear at TDC with the two marks circled appears to be advanced at that point... can you post a "straight on" shot of that gear at TDC aligning the crank gear mark and the oil pump arrow please instead of off-angle like you did ??? If you look closer at the crank gear mark, the front mark actually continues on across the edge of the tooth all of the way back to the rear of the gear... and aligning that to the oil pump housing sometimes makes it easier to correctly position it since you may not be looking at it straight on.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: