Notices

Arturbo or any custom turbo builder....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arturbo or any custom turbo builder....

how would you build a custom turbo? i know this might have been discussed many times before but i couldn't find anything in the search section. can you list all the parts that i would need to run a turbo with an intercooler? a step-by-step instruction would definetly help, but a website would also too. i know i'm asking too much from you guys but i really want to get this done without having to spend more money on a kit. oh yea...please be serious. any recommendation on parts would be good. again..i know this is time consuming and you guys have better things to do but i really want to do this.
Old 12-26-2001, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Arturbo or any custom turbo builder.... (GSteg)

Hey, what you are asking is a little hard for anyone to answer.

Some of the things you may need are as following:

Turbo of your choice
manifold
down pipe
intercooler
blow off valve
waist gate
injectors
fuelpump
standalone ECU or boost dependant FPR
piping

and about 500 other little things.

The best I could tell you is just research the hell out of it. I have learned everything I know about forced induction through reasearch.

If you have about 6 hours of spare time, you could read through this post, https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=70938 , I guarantee you will come out of it know a whole lot more about turbos. On that thread, you can also find out how to buy some top notch stuff at unbeatable prices to get you started.

If you just want to bolt on an go (kinda) I would say go with Ben from http://www.importparts.com and get his deal on the DRAG 3 kit he is offering right now. Im pretty sure that would be the most cost effective way of converting your car to forced induction.

If you want more of a custom setup with less hassle, I would say go with FF Geoffs deal. Its a Turbo, Manifold, Down Pipe, Blow off Valve, waist gate, piping, and all misulanius nuts, bolt, and oil lines you will need. The only thing the setup does not include is fuel managment.

For Fuel management you could either go the cheep way or the expensive right way. Im not saying that the cheep way is wrong, its just a little less reliable when running high boost. The cheep way would be a boost dependant fuel pressure regulator, and an inline fuel pump. The way better way would be a stand alone ecu such as Hondata, larger injectors, intank fuel pump, and a whole bunch of dyno time. The standalone route is alot more reliable, but it will also cost a whole lot more.

I hope some of this will help, I guess the only other thing I could tell you is to do a whole bunch of reasearch.

Old 12-26-2001, 08:22 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Arturbo or any custom turbo builder.... (BLK94RS)

Give me some time and I can give you a list with part #'s. But Im on vacation right now when I get back I'll be sure to get back to you. But the links above have good info and might find some answers there.

art
Old 12-26-2001, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Arturbo or any custom turbo builder.... (Arturbo)

thanks you guys..i'll be here waiting for updates and once again..thanks a bunch
Old 12-26-2001, 09:12 PM
New User

How much are you looking to spend? I just thought it might be important. Generally, a drag kit could go from the lowest 2900 to highest 3500 or so. It come with everything to mount it except you have to make a check valve for the map sensor or get a missing link. Welding is also a big issue since it involves downpipe connection and oil return line to the oil pan. Other than that, should be okay. On some kits, you have to shave some of the block as well too fit the turbo and clock it. What kind of car do you have and what engine? If you think 2900 is too much you can go with the maxrev one, look like there is a deal going on. Usually people piece out a turbo kit is not to make it cheaper but to make it a better kit and go faster. It time consuming and have to be at some what knowledgable to piece it together. If you buy the wrong parts, you are probably f**ked.

[Modified by [Evo]Hybrid, 6:16 AM 12/27/2001]
Old 12-26-2001, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Arturbo or any custom turbo builder.... ([Evo]Hybrid)

How much are you looking to spend? I just thought it might be important. Generally, a drag kit could go from the lowest 2900 to highest 3500 or so. It come with everything to mount it except you have to make a check valve for the map sensor or get a missing link. Welding is also a big issue since it involves downpipe connection and oil return line to the oil pan. Other than that, should be okay. On some kits, you have to shave some of the block as well too fit the turbo and clock it. What kind of car do you have and what engine? If you think 2900 is too much you can go with the maxrev one, look like there is a deal going on. Usually people piece out a turbo kit is not to make it cheaper but to make it a better kit and go faster. It time consuming and have to be at some what knowledgable to piece it together. If you buy the wrong parts, you are probably f**ked.

[Modified by [Evo]Hybrid, 6:16 AM 12/27/2001]
its a 96 Civic with a B20Z engine in it. i'm also going custom because i'm not sure if a kit for a CRV (if any) or a civic will fit with my application. besides..i see it as a fun project.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:24 PM
New User

oh o, i have a feeling it gonna be hard to find a manifold to fit your head. most manifold are made for anything but CRV head. People usually do CRVtec head swap unless that's what you have.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:27 PM

since the CRV's engine is a B-series, i'm guess i could get an exaust manifold made for the integra. can i?
Old 12-26-2001, 09:29 PM
New User

Not 100% sure but I thought there is a difference in bolt pattern even though it's almost the same.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a drag kit....you won't be sorry. We built a custom kit for a buddy's car and there was non-stop running back and forth to stores for little **** here and there. With the kits, everything is there. Plus, the b20 and the LS share the same head.

Building a custom turbo kit is not for beginners, I'll tell you that right now. My kit is custom because I believe the Premade kits do not have what I'm looking for. But it's not my decision, so I'll let you decide.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Arturbo or any custom turbo builder.... (Slow_ass_4dr)

If I understood correctley, any B series manifold will fit on any B series head. The B20 head is the same head the the b18b comes equiped with.
Old 12-27-2001, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Arturbo or any custom turbo builder.... (Slow_ass_4dr)

just get a drag kit....you won't be sorry. We built a custom kit for a buddy's car and there was non-stop running back and forth to stores for little **** here and there. With the kits, everything is there. Plus, the b20 and the LS share the same head.

Building a custom turbo kit is not for beginners, I'll tell you that right now. My kit is custom because I believe the Premade kits do not have what I'm looking for. But it's not my decision, so I'll let you decide.
i would get a DRAG kit but i'm not sure if it'll fit in a civic with a B20Z engine.. i want to choose different parts and go from there. If i choose the wrong parts, its ok for me because that way i can learn from my mistakes rather than getting it done without having a clue if i could have done a better job on it. For example, if i get a kit from Greddy that has a 15lbs BOV...i'll be thinking that i should use the same BOV everytime i do a turbo installation when the turbo suddenly dies because i was boosting 20lbs. On the other hand, i can make that mistake from the beginning and learn that the more i boost, then i would have to get a BOV that can handle the pressure. sorry if this is too confusing.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can gaurantee you that the LS or ITR kit will fit...I'll even pay you for the kit if it doesn't fit. That's how sure I am