Notices

Art of piecing a turbo kit...need advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Art of piecing a turbo kit...need advise

hi, I have a swapped JDM B16A in a EK...I'm shopping for turbo kits...doing researche and all...I've seen on a couple of forums people saying that they could piece turbo kits for cheaper (2000$) and better than complete kits you can buy off ebay (treadstone kit with turbonetics, etc) or online. I would like to get a good setup for around 2000-3500$ more or less for the complete setup.

What would I need to have a reliable and complete turbo setup for my B16?
Prices? Where to look? Advice? Ideas?

thanks for help

Last edited by Dikon0901; 01-11-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Art of piecing a turbo kit...need advise

Direct yourself to the sticky at the top of the forced induction page and READ READ READ!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

If you want you can go through spoolin performance. http://www.spoolinperformance.com/

57 trim turbo..$575 http://www.spoolinperformance.com/ga...trim-p-30.html
manifold..$225 http://www.spoolinperformance.com/bs...old-p-457.html
wastegate..$225 http://www.spoolinperformance.com/ti...ate-p-180.html
2.5"downpipe..$150 http://www.spoolinperformance.com/sp...pipe-p-96.html
intercooler piping..$210 http://www.spoolinperformance.com/94...ing-p-587.html
intercooler..$190 http://www.spoolinperformance.com/sp...oler-p-98.html

A few things are missing but that gives you an idea. IMO when you piece together a turbo kit you do it as kinda a payment towards a turbo kit and making sure you get exactly what you want. Best way to do it IMO. Also look into other places too, you might see other parts you will like better. A few good places are the following places, just go on Google or Yahoo and punch in the names.

Go-autoworks
Blox
Full Race
inlinePro
Straight Line Specialties

Edit: Sorry, I forgot I was supose to reply with "SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH READ READ READ". HT please forgive me for actually helping him with his questions.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spoon feeding doesnt help anybody. How can we help someone who cannot even help themselves.

Its like saying "the spring inside your bov is too stiff for your setup" and someone going "WTF is a BOV?"

Youre about to drop big coin on your car, at least know what is going on under the hood.
If you take the time to research a setup, you will save yourself wasted time, effort, and money.

With that being said, now that we know the budget, OP.

what are your goals?
what is your car being used for?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks thats the kind of answer i am looking for...finaly someone stepped up :D

alexedphoto: well goals would be about 200-250whp since its daily driven...would probably be more like a daily driver/street/weekend racer

keeping in mind that i would prefer keeping my internals stock since its costly
Old 01-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AlexDphoto
Spoon feeding doesnt help anybody. How can we help someone who cannot even help themselves.

Its like saying "the spring inside your bov is too stiff for your setup" and someone going "WTF is a BOV?"

Youre about to drop big coin on your car, at least know what is going on under the hood.
If you take the time to research a setup, you will save yourself wasted time, effort, and money.

With that being said, now that we know the budget, OP.

what are your goals?
what is your car being used for?
You and your damn spoon feeding comment. If you are so above helping someone then stop reading threads where people are asking for help. Myself I have no problem answer questions because I was in their shoe at one point and know how it is.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dikon0901

alexedphoto: well goals would be about 200-250whp since its daily driven...would probably be more like a daily driver/street/weekend racer

A Super 60 would be a great turbo for you then http://www.spoolinperformance.com/ga...er60-p-33.html

Do you have any plans later? If you do plan to make 350+whp later then you possibly could save some money by going to a 57 trim and not having to sell the 60 later.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
A Super 60 would be a great turbo for you then http://www.spoolinperformance.com/ga...er60-p-33.html

Do you have any plans later? If you do plan to make 350+whp later then you possibly could save some money by going to a 57 trim and not having to sell the 60 later.
maybe eventually I would upgrade other parts but for now it would stay around the 200-250whp thx for the help
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You think no one else were in the OP's shoes before either? No one got to where they were today without reading a few threads before taking tips and advice from people.

I understand you want to badly help people because you were in their shoes, but werent you the one posting threads last week about what turbocharger to run, and now youre off giving advice? Correct me if Im wrong, but you havent even purchased a turbo or manifold yet, nor do you even know what SS Inline pro manifold to run that will allow you to clear your block and keep your AC.

And now you feel like you need to attack me for recommending that the OP take a few moments out of his life to read a thread (that people have created out of generosity *no one forced them to, so that others could benefit from them), so that he can be a little more educated before spending $3000 dollars on a turbo setup? This isnt something to take lightly, that money can be gone the click of a button, and for all we know, the OP could purchase parts he wont even need.

Im dont claim to know everything out there, I learn along the way, but Im not on honda-tech asking about every single portion of my build. These simple questions can be googled, its been done, over and over and over again, so do we really need to reinvent the wheel for 250hp?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dikon0901

Your power goals are easy to achieve, and can be done easily within the budget constraints you have. Even your basic greddy turbo kit will make those numbers and be fun on the street.

You can choose to buy a turbo kit, or piece your own together. Most turbo kits will have quality parts already but you stand to save a few bucks by piecing together your own.

Check out places like these to get complete turbo kits or to piece together your own

Maperformance
Synapse turbo
Rc Autoworks
Go autoworks
Spoolin performance
Pfab
Inline Pro
Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You think no one else were in the OP's shoes before either? No one got to where they were today without reading a few threads before taking tips and advice from people.

I understand you want to badly help people because you were in their shoes, but werent you the one posting threads last week about what turbocharger to run, and now youre off giving advice? Correct me if Im wrong, but you havent even purchased a turbo or manifold yet, nor do you even know what SS Inline pro manifold to run that will allow you to clear your block and keep your AC.

And now you feel like you need to attack me for recommending that the OP take a few moments out of his life to read a thread (that people have created out of generosity *no one forced them to, so that others could benefit from them), so that he can be a little more educated before spending $3000 dollars on a turbo setup? This isnt something to take lightly, that money can be gone the click of a button, and for all we know, the OP could purchase parts he wont even need.

Im dont claim to know everything out there, I learn along the way, but Im not on honda-tech asking about every single portion of my build. These simple questions can be googled, its been done, over and over and over again, so do we really need to reinvent the wheel for 250hp?
I wasn't exactly talking in reguards to Hondas or this site. I do own other cars...

And you are taking all of this energy to type type type about why you SHOULDN'T help people when it would take much less to actually help them.

Maybe next time you should do this...

"Hey this is what I learned worked well......................................if you have any questions feel free to ask. Oh and BTW there is a great thread a the top of the page you should read. It will help clear up some of the questions you might have instead of you waiting to get answers from your own thread."

But that is just a suggestion. Carry on.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im helping the OP help himself before he comes to us. As you can see, the question he has is very broad. 250hp can be achieved in plenty of ways. The best way for us to help him, is for him to know EXACTLY what he wants. That way, we can pinpoint exactly what will work for the setup he wants now, and what he can use for a future setup as well, as most people who turbocharge end up going for more power, myself included.

As a moderator on a different board, I cant stress enough about the word research. Threads like these pop up on a daily basis on all the sites im on. It would be nice if people read the sticky links posted on top of the forums. This really goes for anyone who has questions like the OP (im not trying to single him out).
Old 01-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im helping the OP help himself before he comes to us. As you can see, the question he has is very broad. 250hp can be achieved in plenty of ways. The best way for us to help him, is for him to know EXACTLY what he wants. That way, we can pinpoint exactly what will work for the setup he wants now, and what he can use for a future setup as well, as most people who turbocharge end up going for more power, myself included.
Yes now you are seeming to help. But your first post had nothing in it useful except the end of it.

I just say less people saying "search search search read read read" and actually helping people. IF you are going to say search then tell them to use the advanced search feature and how to come up with helpful threads.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

trust me if you think im/ht is bad for saying research, this thread wouldve already been locked on team-integra.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

trust me if you think im/ht is bad for saying research, this thread wouldve already been locked on team-integra.
LOL the site no one posts on due to how strict you guys keep the rules
Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
LOL the site no one posts on due to how strict you guys keep the rules
I see no problem with that. "Give a man a fish; he has food for one day. Teach a man to fish; he provides for himself everyday."

I'm not saying you can't ask questions, but the internet has made it damn easy to locate answers and help yourself (especially in regards to anything Honda/Acura). If you can't at least first come up with a starting point of what there is out there or what all turbocharging includes on your own, you shouldn't be turbocharging the vehicle. It's like people that want to and they can't even perform the basic maintenance of an oil change / spark plugs.

With that being said, OP, I wouldn't even bother piecing together a turbo kit, unless you plan on buying many of the parts used. Just pick a complete kit up from Synapse Turbo, Full-Race, etc. Talk to the guys their about your setup, and they'll be able to help you guide you to what is going to work best for you. You probably won't be spending under $2500 if you plan to turbocharge the vehicle the "proper" way with mostly new parts though. Just don't plan to cheap out. Look for more "affordable" options. Not "cheaper" ones.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Spoolin Performance
Full Race
Go Autowerks
Synapse Motorsport
MAPerformance

all good companys
Old 01-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda Bull
I see no problem with that. "Give a man a fish; he has food for one day. Teach a man to fish; he provides for himself everyday."
Word
Old 01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alex already said it best. What's his face "stopsign" is trying to help when infact he was just asking easy questions two days ago. IMO he is just regurgitating what everyone told him in an attempt to look like he has some knowledge. Didn't you just make a post asking about godspeed manifolds...If you would of searched you'd of realize they were junk in about 10 seconds. SEARCH NOOB! To the OP - spend a day or 2 reading up on some information about forced induction and then start making your parts list.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most importantly when going turbo, NEVER cheap out when it comes to engine/fuel management and tuning. You most definitely need to factor that into your budget... Oh yeah, and do lots of reading and research before spending that kind of money on your car, that alone will save you the most $ in the long run
Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This site needs more people like you good sir.. I almost never ever get on here because people come on here with no knowledge whatsoever about the questions they ask, and ask ignorant questions(not directed at you op)when they have not put forth any effort to help themselves.

I am all about helping out others, but please at least try to obtain a general understanding of the topic you are asking about.

I am tired of all the seventeen year old kids, getting on these boards and asking why the beat *** b18 swapped civic their parents bought them doesn't run anymore after they got home from steetracing or some bullshit question like that.. /end rant i guess
Old 01-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by onesickdc2
I am tired of all the seventeen year old kids, getting on these boards and asking why the beat *** b18 swapped civic their parents bought them doesn't run anymore after they got home from steetracing or some bullshit question like that.. /end rant i guess
Well I would say get used to it since Integras and Civics can be bought with 3 months worth of savings. No one forces you or anyone else to click on a thread that is clearly noob status. Don't like it? Don't click it. That simple.

BTW nice worthless post for this thread. Shoulda PMed Alex instead
Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sc34dc4
Alex already said it best. What's his face "stopsign" is trying to help when infact he was just asking easy questions two days ago. IMO he is just regurgitating what everyone told him in an attempt to look like he has some knowledge. Didn't you just make a post asking about godspeed manifolds...If you would of searched you'd of realize they were junk in about 10 seconds. SEARCH NOOB! To the OP - spend a day or 2 reading up on some information about forced induction and then start making your parts list.
Well no **** genious, I'm posting what I've learned from others. Thats kinda how it works when you've owned said make for 3 months.

Continue posting worthless crap, so far you are 2-0 in this thread.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it think that HT should have a section for noobs to fight about what exhaust is the best or how chrom is lighter than paint and makes you faster then everyone that doesnt like all the noob q's like AlexDphoto (nothing against you just using you as an example) dont even have to even look at them unless they want to get a good laugh.... even though this probably wouldnt even work cause all the noobs dont think their noobs
Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I would say get used to it since Integras and Civics can be bought with 3 months worth of savings. No one forces you or anyone else to click on a thread that is clearly noob status. Don't like it? Don't click it. That simple.

BTW nice worthless post for this thread. Shoulda PMed Alex instead
This thread is worthless. My post was helpful. Hahaha. OP asked a very vague and stupid question. I can give you about 5,000,000,000 different combinations with different parts that will cost $3000 and make effing' 250whp.

Its just a shame that modds are not more strict with this **** because there are plenty of very knowledgeable people on here it just sucks you have to sift through TONS of bull **** to get much useful info.

Quick Reply: Art of piecing a turbo kit...need advise